• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project "Dads XJ resurection" almost done!

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Well here it is almost finally done!
<o:p> </o:p>
Many of you may know the story behind this XJ, but for those who don’t;
My Dad bought this 1990 XJ new and loved it. He owned several Jeeps when I was a kid including his beloved 69’ C-101 Commando(I wish I could find that one). It was and is the only new vehicle he ever owned. It served him well and he took good care of it but it had issues, a persistent piston slap being the worst thing. Dad drove this Jeep until a month before he passed away. My stepmother offered the Jeep to me but it was too soon after Dads passing and I really did not have the time to repair it as I was renovating my house at the time. That was in February of 02’. I started missing this Jeep about a year and a half later and started searching for it. After a year or so of searching and running car fax reports, I found it with a blown engine, and a homeless guy living in it at the back of a used car lot.
I ran down the owner and talked him into selling it to me. $400 later and I had Dads old XJ back!
I pulled the engine which had a blown head gasket and 2 burnt pistons and had it rebuilt locally. It was bored 40 over, decked and milled. It got a new engine kit and came with a 2 year warranty and ready to run. I replaced all of the RENIX sensors, outputs, if you can think of it; it is new under the hood.
I replaced or cleaned the interior with new carpet, headliner and a lot of steam cleaning. I found no rust in the floorboards! I installed a new stereo and speakers to replace the original but still working unit. I had to replace a couple of the lock actuaters and a window regulater.
I put together a 2” lift with a bastard pack in the rear (Stock main leaf and a Quadratec HD pack) and a RE 2” spacer in the front. I bolted in a 29 spline 8.25 to replace the D-35. It will get a P.O.R.C. SYE soon.
The transmission and transfer case were good to go, just a change of fluids. I added a Hayden tranny cooler and a B&M temp gage to keep tabs on the tranny. The AC still worked! It just needed a charge and 2 years later it is still cool.
I then focused my attention to the body and with some new PPG paint it looks as good as it runs. I added a set of 15x8" TJ Canyons with some 30x9.5 BFG AT KO’s. The paint was the most costly part of the rebuild, twice as much as the engine overhaul!
Future mods will include the install of the SYE, the install of my TruTraked 4.10 geared 29 splined 8.25 from my trail rig and a fresh set of 4.10’s in the disco front. I plan on putting in a Posi-Loc or something similar to allow me to use 2-low. I plan on a full set of factory skids as well. Some tint on the widows at some point will help keep it cool in the summer.
This XJ will not get wheeled except for snow and will be used for towing my bass boat to the lake in the summer. I will use it for hauling the canoes and kayaks to the river as well.
Well here it is 2 years later and I am proud of it and I think Dad would be as well.

I want to thank everyone on here who helped me over the last 2 years with advice and knowledge. I couldn't have done it without you, and I wish I could remember everyone and thank them personnaly.

newpaint1us6.jpg

newpaint2uo2.jpg

newpaint3qs6.jpg

newpaint4uv8.jpg

newpaint5fb3.jpg

Last edited:
Wow that is one really clean XJ. Glad that you're happy with it and that you have it back, seems like you went through a good amount of trouble to find it again. Its nice to have something to remember him by.

That's an awesome story and an awesome XJ. I'm sure your dad would be very proud.

Begster said:
Wow that is one really clean XJ. Glad that you're happy with it and that you have it back, seems like you went through a good amount of trouble to find it again. Its nice to have something to remember him by.

Thanks, yeah I drive it everyday to remind me of what he has done for me and who he made me. My Dad was a high school football coach for 25 years and he touched many lives but not as much as he touched mine!

thats really cool - i think it was wise to track it down and build it up- it will mean that much more! nice looking xj!

90PioSport99 said:
That's an awesome story and an awesome XJ. I'm sure your dad would be very proud.

Thanks! Yes he would, When I get where I'm going, the first thing I will tell him is; "Dad I finally fixed that piston slap you were complaining about" LOL!

very nice! I got my XJ a month before my dad died, so we never had a chance to go offroad together. Glad you were able to spend some quality time with yours! He would be proud of you!

Very nice XJ and awesome story! I like how the Canyons look on XJ's alot!

Very AWESOME!!! Good lookin XJ. I think your Dad would be proud! Was the interior very bad from the guy living in it?

97XJ Jeeper said:
Very AWESOME!!! Good lookin XJ. I think your Dad would be proud! Was the interior very bad from the guy living in it?

The headliner was gone of course, they all seem to do that, and the carpet badly stained. I was able to keep the seats and the door panels after a good steam cleaning with a Hoover steam vac.

RyanM said:
That is really awesome your detective work led you to it!!

And some luck! The car lot that it sat in the back of was less than a mile from my house and I drive by it fairly often. The Car Fax reports told me it was still in my town but It didn't have any numbers to call. I found the Jeep by simply driving by and spotting it.

:)
So how did you know "this is The One" when you got up next to it. VIN or was there a feeling it was it.

RyanM said:
:)
So how did you know "this is The One" when you got up next to it. VIN or was there a feeling it was it.

The clear coat was gone on most of the Jeep except the front which had been repainted due to a deer hit in 99' and I verified the VIN.

Here a couple of "before" shots I meant to put with the original post. I took these just after the roll back dropped it off at my house. I should have taken some shots of the interior, it was trashed. From the doors back the clear coat is gone and as you can see someone pulled the head(it was in the back of the Jeep) and lost most of the bolts of course. #2 and #3 pistons were burnt, almost had a hole through them.

dadsjeep6su.jpg

dadsjeep21ob.jpg

The engine rebuild;
engine1bt9.jpg

engine2wb9.jpg

dadsjeep35dg.jpg

Back