• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grill Cover for winter

Stihl029

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,
I have been searching for a grill cover for the winter for my 95 since it is my daily driver. I was wondering if anyone else out there is running one, and if so what type? Last winter I fabricated one out of pig mat and zipties but I am looking for something a little cleaner looking. I am getting ready to install the block heater I have been sitting on for a while. I would just like to get up to temp quicker and safely. For now I have the electric fan disconnected which seems to help some but not really a noticeable difference while driving. Thanks

Haven't found much need for them here, but have seen a piece of cardboard slipped between the radiator and grill; it covered about half the radiator and I'm sure it needed frequent replacement.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Go and talk to a Marine shop or something similar. I have used a (seriously) cut down piece of fabric from a tractor/trailer tarp. Think "flatbed". They are waterproof, thick, and can take the strain of Artic winters.

I used to use a cut down mud flap for the diesel big truck. I used to get going at about 2:30 A.M. and jumped on the highway within about a mile-- dam thing would never heat up without some help! The big, thick rubber mud flaps are kinda expensive, but if you keep your eyes on the side of the interstate you'll come across one thats fallen off. I don't know how moch radiator to cover on these things without restricting too much airflow, but about half was perfect on the big truck.

good luck, and stay warm!
--Shorty

Well I guess I did not search on here long enough Bad Andy...no pizza so here is a good tread on them. I have not figured out how to get into the Canadian site since the Postal code for Kodiak is outside of Canada and it wants Canadian customers only I guess.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=907912&highlight=grill+cover+for+winter

Hope this helps out anyone else looking. Thanks for the replies, but we really don't have an interstate to drive on here; the only things that fall off the trucks around here are either fish parts and trash or chunks of rusty metal.

Stihl029 said:
Well I guess I did not search on here long enough Bad Andy...no pizza so here is a good tread on them. I have not figured out how to get into the Canadian site since the Postal code for Kodiak is outside of Canada and it wants Canadian customers only I guess.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=907912&highlight=grill+cover+for+winter

Hope this helps out anyone else looking. Thanks for the replies, but we really don't have an interstate to drive on here; the only things that fall off the trucks around here are either fish parts and trash or chunks of rusty metal.

slap a couple fish in there and call it a day! If it gets too hot, you can have some smoked salmon!

Grille covers are good ideas.....I actually use something called coroplast. It's plastic, but corrugated like cardboard. Usually available from most sign shops, or even on the side of the road around election time. :roll::roll::roll:

I've blocked off as much as the top 75% of the grille with no adverse effects. Just keep an eye on the temp gauge, if it gets too high you can flip on the heater.

One benefit to using the coro-plast zip tied to the front of the grille......If it gets too hot, all I have to do is pull out a pocketknife to either snip the zip ties, or cut a bigger hole in my cover.

*bonus* This stuff is usually white, but easily painted

avnsteve said:
don't laugh, I've considered using one here, simply because it takes more than a mile to get warmed up, even if I leave it idle for a few minutes before taking off

edit: "here" being austin texas...

a fish?

How is this supposed to work? If your cooling system is doing its job properly the engine will warm up just fine without blocking the radiator. The coolant does not leave the block until it's warm enough to open the thermostat which should be 195 degrees. The heater core gets its hot coolant on a separate and independant loop from the radiator. The heater core will get the heated water from the block even when the thermostat isn't open.

I've lived where it wouldn't get above 0 degrees all month January and I have never had a situation where I felt a need to block my radiator.

the thermostat only opens up when it reaches 195 f so there is no anti freeze flow through the rad till then and when there is the anti freeze is still at whatever the outside air tempiture is so it does not open all the way. The anti freeze adds more cold to the moter thus taking a lot longer to warm up. I.ve driven on the highway at 40 below and there is like no heat coming out of the heater after driving for a couple of hours and then blocked it of partially and then the heater provides heat.Keep in mind the heater bypass is before the thermostat.

kunaji said:
How is this supposed to work? If your cooling system is doing its job properly the engine will warm up just fine without blocking the radiator. The coolant does not leave the block until it's warm enough to open the thermostat which should be 195 degrees. The heater core gets its hot coolant on a separate and independant loop from the radiator. The heater core will get the heated water from the block even when the thermostat isn't open.

I've lived where it wouldn't get above 0 degrees all month January and I have never had a situation where I felt a need to block my radiator.

What they are trying to do is expedite the heating process of the engine. Haven't you ever noticed your gauge bouncing back and forth as the engine warms up allowing that subzero coolant in? My thought is to reduce that do to metals not liking the HOT cold fluctuation. I agree with you and I live in one of the coldest spots of WI myself that it should work fine but nothing wrong with getting heat faster. Although I have a block heater that the minute I hit the remote start button it acticates a self made relay to cut the power to the block heater until I get outside to unplug it.

Back