• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5.2 swap in a Cherokee

Not to be rude or anything, but if you want a 5.2 just get a Grand Cherokee with the 5.2, or better yet, 5.9.

But if you were going to go to the trouble of a V8 swap, make it something worthwhile like a 454 or a 383.

j99xj said:
Not to be rude or anything, but if you want a 5.2 just get a Grand Cherokee with the 5.2, or better yet, 5.9.

But if you were going to go to the trouble of a V8 swap, make it something worthwhile like a 454 or a 383.

x2

I did it. If the driver side rubber mount bad then you can bolt the driver side right where the 4.0 was where the track mount is. Just drill and bolt in the rest of the holes in the mount. Passenger side a little tougher nothing to go off other than measure it from the firewall to edge of the mount.

Biggest thing I had to mod was the rear driveshaft since it about 2" longer than 4.0 drivetrain.

You need to have some lift since if you don't the front axle will hit the oil pan so that might be something to consider. I got f150 front coils in mine so I don't have alot flex.

5.2poweredxj said:
I did it. If the driver side rubber mount bad then you can bolt the driver side right where the 4.0 was where the track mount is. Just drill and bolt in the rest of the holes in the mount. Passenger side a little tougher nothing to go off other than measure it from the firewall to edge of the mount.

Biggest thing I had to mod was the rear driveshaft since it about 2" longer than 4.0 drivetrain.

You need to have some lift since if you don't the front axle will hit the oil pan so that might be something to consider. I got f150 front coils in mine so I don't have alot flex.
So what'd you do about wiring, new PCM? What transmission? Do you have any pictures?

Use the stock 93 grand cherokee motor, motor mounts, center part of the trans cross member, stock transmission, wiring, and front driveshaft.
Cardomain site
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2523955/1

4.0 pcm still there because I don't know where it is.

The rubber mount was bad on my donor that I was able to bolt it right into the stock trackbar mount and drill and bolt the rest in. Passenger side I had to make all the holes I bolt that in too.

This allowed me to cut the center section of the GC crossmember and welded the ends of the 4.0 so it stay in the orignal postion.

Just put in the stock GC front driveshaft since the old Xcase gets moved back 2 inches which means the rear needs to be shorten.

Wiring I cut it down to 3 wires and layed it over the stock 4.0 which I left in there uncut. Removed the fuel pump relay and got my key on wire which make the GC fuel pump work in the new fuse panel. Ran the wire from GC Fp to the one for 4.0 relay also. Kept the 4.0 starter relay and put the GC trip wire there. Temp gauge I just ran the wire from the sender to the 4.0 harness and did the same for the oil pressure. Alt gauge works fine.

For the shifter for the trans used the 4.0 cable and it works fined snaps right in. Used the longer rod from Gc for x case used my old shifter.

Trottle cable used the v8 stuff pedal and all goes right in no problem.

Using a new stock replace rad and stock 4.0 upper hose with a 90 cut out where I put the 4.7 cap fill. Running daul eletric fans that come on with the key but I can also put in the 4.0 fan with 5.2 clutch for extra cooling fan. Lower uses the little bit of the 5.2 with alittle of 4.0 and custom stainless the rest. Using the stock trans cooler from the GC and 4.0.

Power steering is the GC pump and lines with the xj steering box.

Here some pics.
2523955_42_full.jpg

2523955_41_full.jpg

2523955_40_full.jpg

Last edited:
It's a shame that my Jeep would fail the vehicle inspection if I swapped in a V8 but if I had to do it, I'd go for a Chevy LS1. It's much more powerful than the 5.2, a good 100lb lighter, and Novak Conversions have the bellhousing adapter kit to make the swap possible. A complete LS1 with ancillaries, wiring harness, and computer can be had for less than $2500 over here.
This 5.2 swap does look neat though:
5.jpg

you want to know what I got in my swap?
+350 for one 93 rolled GC
-130 bucks selling stuff I would of through away on ebay
-75 bucks from the scrap steal of what was left
______
= 145 for the whole motor, trans, front axle, rear axle, wheels, wiring, and spare driveshafts.

I could sell the wheels and the front v8 coils to some one and make up the rest so my swap would of been free.

I had 5.9 in mine too along with 4.0 for awhile and 5.2. The 5.9 is for my drag car which is going to be nuts. 77 plymouth arrow that about the size of a geo metro with a turbo 360 sitting in it. But that for a different forum.

I left it in there made the ride better with the bastard packs.

Back