• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Optima batterys suck

Stumpalump

NAXJA Forum User
My big buck yellow top (the good one) reads 10.5v after less than a year. That means a dead cell. I have to take it downtown to the Interstate battery distributer for testing. It's junk. Would you trade it for another yellow top or a red or blue? This jeep is my toy and it sits for long periods and maybe a good ol lead acid would be better. Any battery thoughts?

That happens quite a bit on my step-father's boats. He says they are junk and replaces them. I take them home with me and put them on a trickle charger and they usually come back to life. I've gotten two optimas and an exide orbital this way. When they aren't charged, they will fail a load test too. We have tried charging them with the bigger chargers and for some reason they won't hold the charge.

Same thing just happened to the blue top in my jeep. I put it on a trickle charger overnight and it was fine.

Yeah...if it sits for extended periods, get a trickle charger and mount it permanently....and leave it charging while it is not being driven....you can get a battery tender at wally werld for like 20 bux or so...

MudDawg said:
Yeah...if it sits for extended periods, get a trickle charger and mount it permanently....and leave it charging while it is not being driven....you can get a battery tender at wally werld for like 20 bux or so...

X2 on the battery tender... got one on my bike and one for the jeep...

Stumpalump said:
My big buck yellow top (the good one) reads 10.5v after less than a year. That means a dead cell. I have to take it downtown to the Interstate battery distributer for testing. It's junk. Would you trade it for another yellow top or a red or blue? This jeep is my toy and it sits for long periods and maybe a good ol lead acid would be better. Any battery thoughts?

Yeah I've had plenty of experiences with yellow top optimas, and yes they are junk, they actually stopped making the smaller(car) batteries because they were so bad. My solution was to purchase any sealed marine battery, and I have'nt had a single problem yet...

Sealed Marine batteries are in the same price range, but most will last twice as long as an optima!

optima batteries don't suck. There is a chance that you might have just gotten a bad battery, or maybe you have power draw from someplace on your jeep. Common practice if your jeep sits for a while is to go buy a trickle charger for $20. That battery should last longer than the vehicle you put it in. You might also try Odyssey batteries. Haven't used one, but I have heard great things about them as well. http://www.odysseybatteries.com/batteries.htm
Good luck~

Funny thing is it was cranking slow last thursday and I charged it with the regular 10Amp charger and it was fine and I drove it. Next morning all loaded up for a camping trip it was dead and reading 10v. 3 year old wallmart battery that came in the jeep saved the trip.
I hope it tests bad and I get a new one because this thing allways seemed weak. If they offer me a new one would I be better off with a different color for my limited use situation? The distributer sells all kind of chargers and I'll pick up a trickler.

Stumpalump said:
...it sits for long periods...
Like others have said, that is your issue.

During the winter I 'cycle' our boat batteries to prevent what your describing. Solves the problem and I don't have a lick of trouble come spring.

Optima batteries are by far the best battery I have ever owned, but now the price of one just nuts. I remember picking up my red top up for under $100 not even on sale. The blues in the boats were around $110ish. What are they now? Close to $200? Ouch. You get what you pay for I guess.

EDIT: How is this Modified Tech?

I thought optima had a 5 year warranty? Wouldn't they just replace most of your batteries in these situations...? I have one in my jeep but I don't drive it anymore, I did put a solar battery tender on it though, hopefully it works.

DelmarvaXJ said:
Yeah I've had plenty of experiences with yellow top optimas, and yes they are junk, they actually stopped making the smaller(car) batteries because they were so bad. My solution was to purchase any sealed marine battery, and I have'nt had a single problem yet...

Sealed Marine batteries are in the same price range, but most will last twice as long as an optima!

Thats what I've allways heard is that the best battery is a marine cranking battery. They are built strong to coast guard standards and they have some deep cycle capabilitys.
That would be marine cranking not marine deep cycle.

IMPRZV1 said:
I thought optima had a 5 year warranty? Wouldn't they just replace most of your batteries in these situations...? I have one in my jeep but I don't drive it anymore, I did put a solar battery tender on it though, hopefully it works.

RED (12V Models): 36 Months Free Replacement, Remaining 36 Month Prorated
YELLOW: 12 Months Free Repacement, Remaining 12 Months Prorated
BLUE: 18 months free replacement, remaining 18 months prorated

I had a red top in my YJ, put a yellow top in my VW bus that sits for weeks at a time, just put a red top in my v-10 excursion that was eating OE batteries from the dealer about once a year.

No problems with any. They are more expensive, but I figure if they are better it is worth the confidence.

That being said, my father in law is a costco junkie, apparently costco has a good selection of batteries and a very liberal return/exchange policy.

optima?

I feel for ya on the dead battery issue but I have to say, Optima batteries are universally regarded as some of the best batteries out there. I have had optimas that lasted 5 years and were still going strong. I think you may have gotten a defective unit but don't give up on optima. In my experience they are truly the most reliable batteries I have used. And Costco has good prices on them.

I have had my yellow top for a year now on my 99 and never any problems with it even running winch and daystar lights for a period of time without the motor running in fact going friday to buy one for my 88 that only comes out for play

I had, some years back, a Kaiser-Jeep M725 military 4x4 ambulance and, while rebuilding the electrical system with 3 batteries, 12v HO alternator, 2-0 gauge wire, Hd lugs, and bus bars, inverter, etc.........I also, monted a solar panel which swing down into. position in the passenger-side window to keep a trickle going during non-use periods. While the swing-up/down mounting probably isn't a real option for the XJ, wiring for, and simply placing a panel in the windshield during non-use would be.... You could even make a mount to store the panel against the roof-liner, and use a basic connector.

You should never ever ever use a deep cycle batt in a vehicle for a cranking batt. It isn't what they are made for.

Buy a Red top, use it for a regular batt and you will have no issues. If you have a lot of lights, winches and other batt draining items, run a second batt and that one you can use a Deep Cycle batt.

My yellow top went about 4 to 4.5 years. It did its job well. Mine went dead a few times. I put a 10V on it for a day and had the same result as you. I then tried a 2V and left it on for a week or so and it ran another year. I have heard from some car people that gel type batteries are hard to recharge using normal methods and low volt charging is the best way to do it (It has worked for me but by no means am I a mechanic). When mine went out in Moab this year it got hot and actually started to warp and melt the housing. I was told by the parts guy this was a good sign that Optima’s are dead.

Optima red tops rock! Bought one new 7 years ago, ran it hard for 4 years and then had it sit on the shelf for 3 years. I think I charged it about 1 year ago. Stuck it in my '99 Cherokee 2 weeks ago and it cranked the motor with authority. Cant wait to get a winch so I can add a yellow top.

Back