• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tube Fenders

Cruzin Illusion

NAXJA Forum User
I know some of this is a repost from my rear bumper with stinger tire carrier build post, but I have had request's to start a post just for the fenders. So here goes.

On April 27th I originally posted on another website my intentions to start a build project that I have been thinking about doing for a year:

Well I decided to pull the trigger on soon XJ tube fenders. I am gathering all the material I will need to complete my project. The rears will incorporate quarter guards with built in taillight boxes and the flares. The fronts will be built around a front fender guard that will include a fender flare to it. I was going to start the build this weekend, but some of the parts I needed to start were damaged in shipping and I am working on getting a replacement. I have wanted to do this project for a year but had other projects to finish first. I got a lot of inspiration from Brandons flares which pushed this project towards the top of my list. It was nice to see something simular to what I wanted to build and see it hold up to some actual use in Moab. I will keep you all posted.

By May 8th I had received all the materials I was waiting for and started my build:

Well here is an update on where the Jeep sits. I have installed and modified the rear quarter guards. I had to fabricate and add the front portion (dog leg) to both sides. I did this so it will be a true bolt on quarter guard with tube fenders. If you also notice the taillight boxes are part of the quarter guard also.

On the front fenders I have got the fender guards installed and started to trim the frenders to match.

Here are some pics:

100_3651.jpg

100_3652.jpg

100_3658.jpg

100_3660.jpg

100_3664.jpg

100_3666.jpg

100_3667.jpg

100_3662.jpg

100_3663.jpg

100_3669.jpg

100_3670.jpg

100_3673.jpg

The rear quarter guards are made by THOR4x4 and I am adding onto them with the permission of the owner, which I have talked to quit afew times. He built a set of tube fenders for the rear of his and sent me pictures of what he did so I could get some ideas. Sometimes it is just easier to start with someone elses part and work from there rather than reinventing the wheel.

The fronts came from Slickrock gear but I have had to modify them because they did not fit very well. If I could do it over again I would have made my own fronts. I had to go back and form the fronts to match the curve of the fender because of the fit. It will take a little work to get the finish right on these.

On May 13th I posted up some updated pictures of the build:

Here are some updated pictures:
100_3668.jpg

100_3676.jpg

100_3667.jpg

100_3665.jpg

I bent the tubes out of 1.5" x .120 D.O.M. It was tough to get the two bend on the rear portion of the rear fenders right along with the front two bends on the front fenders. Notice there is no kinkin of the tube in those area's.

100_3678.jpg

100_3679.jpg

100_3680.jpg

100_3682.jpg

100_3683.jpg

100_3685.jpg

100_3687.jpg

100_3689.jpg

100_3690.jpg

100_3691.jpg

On may 18th I posted:

have the templates built for the metal skins and am in the process of making the skins. I do have the left side tacked up. Here are some updated pictures. Terry they should be ready to start paint prep soon. Let me know when you have time.

100_3693.jpg

100_3694.jpg

100_3695.jpg

100_3697.jpg

100_3699.jpg

100_3700.jpg

100_3702.jpg

100_3703.jpg

100_3704.jpg

100_3705.jpg

100_3706.jpg

100_3707.jpg

100_3708.jpg

100_3710.jpg

100_3712.jpg

I tacked welded the inner seem from the bottom. I figure I will just keep rotating around the vehicle to allow for cooling so as to not build up to much heat and warp the sheet metal. I figure we could run a very very small amount of filler to give it a very small transition. They fit very tight against the 3/16" body panel. I also figured it would be easy to grind the welds down on the outer sides and it should give it a nice transition into the tube.

Here are a few outside in the sun.
100_3713.jpg

100_3714.jpg

100_3716.jpg

100_3717.jpg

100_3718.jpg

100_3721.jpg

I am in the process of finish welding them up and grinding them so there are no seems. My goal is to have no welds showing. They will be very clean looking and not rough.

100_3741.jpg

100_3737.jpg

100_3735.jpg

100_3733.jpg

Not to bad for welding these up side down in the wheel well:
100_3732.jpg

100_3729.jpg

100_3730.jpg

Then they will be preped for paint and the paint scheme will match what I had previous. Orange on the body and Silver on the flares and below the lower body line.

At this time they are at a friends (87xjco) body shop being final preped for paint. I am hoping by sometime mid next week we can have them ready to shoot. I will keep everyone posted on the progress through this thread. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Here a few of them being preped for paint:

Dsc03350.jpg

Here is picture of smoothing out the seam with All Metal:

Dsc03360.jpg

We used seam filler on the lower side to keep water from catching in the radius portion between the tube and the sheetmetal fender portion. I have heard a lot of TJ guys end up with rust in those areas and I Terry is trying to prevent that.

Dsc03361.jpg

It has been a while but I thought I would share a few updated pictures. Here are some pictures of them in primer and with the silver paint on them. The orange and clear are being painted today. I am hoping that I will install them Monday or Tuesday. I want to thank Terry 87xjco and Jamie for the help on getting these preped and painted.

Dsc03392.jpg

Dsc03393.jpg

100_3793.jpg

100_3794.jpg

100_3795.jpg

100_3796.jpg

100_3797.jpg

100_3798.jpg

100_3799.jpg

Jump This said:
You painted them silver? Why the f*ck not a matching orange?

Crazy ass bastid.....

Finish the damn thing then post.....a (as in one) picture or two!

;)

Rick

The silver color is for the flares. As I stated above the Orange and clear are being painted on today.

Maybe someone out there would like to see how the build came together not just a finished product.

Those really are turning out beautiful! As does everything you do to your rig......

I gotta ask though. As cool as the front fender guards/flares look, you're really only mounting them to some flimsy sheet metal. How confident are you in rubbing them against something and not having the fender bend/push in? Any plans to build some bracing between the guard and the inner fender/unibody?

Cruzin Illusion said:
Maybe someone out there would like to see how the build came together not just a finished product.

Look at your pictures you have posted, how many of them are almost duplicates of each other. You are realy building a clean rig, but you are making it difficult for dial up (are there any of them here?) to check out your build.
It has always been a pet annoyance of mine. People who feel we need to see every possible angle of your build. If the left side is the same as the right side, a left side picture is good enough. If a full profile picture is provided, again only one is nesc.
Ya' see what I am saying?
Not dissing your build, but you could cut down on the amount of pictures.

Rick

some people like to see a lot of angles. if you don't wanna look at a ton of pics then don't look at them.
it's not that hard.
great write up btw!
I really wish I had some fab skills like that!

YELLAHEEP said:
Those really are turning out beautiful! As does everything you do to your rig......

I gotta ask though. As cool as the front fender guards/flares look, you're really only mounting them to some flimsy sheet metal. How confident are you in rubbing them against something and not having the fender bend/push in? Any plans to build some bracing between the guard and the inner fender/unibody?

I am building a backing plate that will reinforce the fender and panel and attach to the inner fender wall. I am also thinking about running a sleeve type setup with grade 2-3 bolts through the inner and outer sleeve so if you take a big enough hit it will shear the bolts and not cause major damage to the inner fender/uni-body.

By the way thanks for the nice compliments.

The paint is done and they came out awesome:

Thanks to Terry 87xjco and Jamie for the help on getting them finished up. Terry is a bodyshop manager and does awesome work.

DSC03394.JPG

DSC03395.JPG

DSC03396.JPG

DSC03397.JPG

Jump This said:
Look at your pictures you have posted, how many of them are almost duplicates of each other. You are realy building a clean rig, but you are making it difficult for dial up (are there any of them here?) to check out your build.
It has always been a pet annoyance of mine. People who feel we need to see every possible angle of your build. If the left side is the same as the right side, a left side picture is good enough. If a full profile picture is provided, again only one is nesc.
Ya' see what I am saying?
Not dissing your build, but you could cut down on the amount of pictures.

Rick

:rattle:

Back