• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big Bear - July 20th thru 22nd

rpraterxj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey gang,

I am planning on doing a run in Big Bear on Saturday, July 21st. I will probably head up Friday afternoon and stay the entire weekend. I will be staying in a cabin with the family and do a little fishing and hiking. I would like to have folks stay the evening for dinner, either in town or maybe even BBQ at the cabin.

As for the run, I have talked to several people and it's possible we will have a nice little crowd. I may need someone to lead another trail.

The purpose for this trip is to allow my wife to finally wheel her TJ! She will be driving, I will be spotting her. We will run Gold Mountain and probably John Bull. It really depends on how comfortable she is. If she is "afraid" of John Bull, I will take her to Jacoby Canyon. I think she will be fine with JB, once we get through the first rock obstacle.

I know alot of folks like running Deep Creek and Holcomb Creek, so I am looking for a leader for that trail. My wife would be OK on Holcomb, but she has seen the pictures of the waterfall on Deep Creek and said she does not want to try that for a while.

So here are the details:

Meet at the Discovery Center at 9:00 AM on Saturday, July 21st. Divid into groups and head out. Meet back at the Discovery Center around 5:00 ish and figure out dinner plans.

This is NOT a sponsored NAXJA event.

Required equipment:
Jack
spare tire
tow points
first aid kit
hard top or roll bar
seat belts

Stock Jeeps CAN run Gold Mountain. Rock rails are not required, but your rockers may get damaged.

For the more difficult runs, the trail leader (whoever that may be) will have the final say.
Usual requirements are at least 31" tires, lift, rock rails, tow points, spare, jack, first aid kit, at least one locker or limited slip, and gas tank skid.

Post up if you are interested!

May try to run something on Sunday AM - Pontiac Sluice or similar...

Hmmmm...sounds cooler than Calico, escrow should have closed on the cabin by then, July 22 is my birthday anyway.....any other reasons for going to BB rather than Calico?
:dunno:

:D

Rick

Jump This said:
Hmmmm...sounds cooler than Calico, escrow should have closed on the cabin by then, July 22 is my birthday anyway.....any other reasons for going to BB rather than Calico?

Rick

Just a few friends haning out wheelin isn't enough.... OK, how about it's at 45 min closer.... cooler.... nice scenery...cooler... you will be able to use your new cabin (wife = happy).. and cooler....

Jump This said:

Rick
Hmmm I can think of a few but Im not sure youll agree with my reasons.

1: its to damn hot at calico
2: I like trees in the summer time not cactus
3: I live in the desert why wheel there in the worst time of year
4: it's to damn hot at calico
5: My wife will go to Big bear and not calico
6: other things to do than just wheel in big bear
7: more pleasant drive up to big bear than calico
8: summer wheeling in calico has mr no shoulders (snakes, I hate snakes)lurking in the shade
9: it's to damn hot at calico
10: last summer trip to calico for me netted 120+ in the canyons
11: all the cool kids go to big bear :)

Ok, i decided. I'll be at Big Bear. Think i'll give Calico a miss untill in cools down alittle.

See you all there.:D

Jump This said:
Okay, Big Bear it is!

Sorry RobertK!

Fixed it for ya'

Yeah, sorry RobertK. Calico is so fun, but not for me in the Summer... I iwll gladly go in the Winter, Oct thru April.

sounds fun. the 3 of us should be there. If not, atleast count 1

Okay...Calico out, BB in.

See ya all there.

Kyung

Looking good! We will have a great turn out!

I am thinking of renting a LARGE cabin. I have found a great deal and wanted to see who is interested.

Here's a link to the cabin:

http://www.bigbear1.com/units/0619.html

The price will ultimately depend on the number of folks interested in staying in the cabin. It will sleep about 16, plus there is room on the floor.. LOL

PM me if you are interested in staying in the cabin.

Some folks said they will be camping, others will stay in hotels or cabins.

Thanks!

WOW! when you said cabin, i pictured a large single room with bunk beds.

That place is a palace!:D

Patrick and I would love to join you guys on the Saturday run and to hang out, but we won't be able to stay overnight. It will be nice to meet everyone finally! :)

rpraterxj said:
Hey gang,

Stock Jeeps CAN run Gold Mountain. Rock rails are not required, but your rockers may get damaged.

Have you been to Gold Mountain lately? I led a group of 8 through there memorial day weekend. All of the stockers (TJ,Unlimited,and a built CJ-7 but he was an idiot) either broke or turned around. If you are low and dont have rocker protection you WILL take damage.

We did gold mountain as a "warm up" trail on the way to JB. It took us 4 hours just to get through GM with the traffic and carnage.

saki669 said:
Have you been to Gold Mountain lately? I led a group of 8 through there memorial day weekend. All of the stockers (TJ,Unlimited,and a built CJ-7 but he was an idiot) either broke or turned around. If you are low and dont have rocker protection you WILL take damage.

We did gold mountain as a "warm up" trail on the way to JB. It took us 4 hours just to get through GM with the traffic and carnage.
we got a stock suburban through it with only one hang up, A good spotter and decent driver can get a stock XJ through with out damage

Back