• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FS: Volvo portal-axled MJ, w/stroker $6000

vintagespeed

NAXJA Forum User
For Sale, Volvo portal-axled MJ, with stroker and 36s. $6000 obo (will consider trade for NICE Toyota 4Runner prefer 86-88 auto with 22RTE or 3.0L) the axles alone are worth the price of admission.

1988 Jeep MJ shortbed w/automatic, 4.6L stroker with approx. 35k miles, new OD Green paint job, Wagoneer front clip, Volvo portal axles with 5.99:1 gears, factory lockers, converted to 8x6.5 lug pattern with one-ton 13" rotors all around and E350 m/c, H1 8bolt beadlocks with rebar rings, 36" Goodyear H1 tires, 2" suspension lift (and 4.5" portal axle lift), rear suspension is sprung under with RE shackles, bucket seats, brand new RhinoLining (not the cheap stuff), AW4 automatic has BrettMJ manual controller, Bilstein 5125 front shocks, comes with long-shaft Dana300 (not installed).

Currently needs to be finished, front axle is not installed but I will do the work for $250 or we can throw a stock D30 in the front to move it. Lockers are not connected, needs a HD draglink, rear shocks. The truck has a salvaged title from being hit in the front corner, but there was NO major damage, just cosmetic and it's all been repaired. It is in PERFECT condition.

This is guaranteed to be magazine worthy and a serious wheeler.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p315/vintagespeed/VolvoPortals/DSC00010.jpg
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p315/vintagespeed/VolvoPortals/DSC00011.jpg
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p315/vintagespeed/VolvoPortals/DSC00014.jpg
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p315/vintagespeed/VolvoPortals/DSC00012.jpg

album: http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p315/vintagespeed/VolvoPortals/

Divorce forces sale, and I need a competent daily driver to haul my ass around to work. Please SERIOUS BUYERS ONLY, and no symathetic bullshit selling this rig is painful enough.

--
-j bobsled b

I will be talking the wife into selling my Jeep tonight so i can buy this.

Whats left on the front axle to do, and what needs to be done to make the lockers work?

JohnX said:
I will be talking the wife into selling my Jeep tonight so i can buy this.

Whats left on the front axle to do, and what needs to be done to make the lockers work?

It's very mostly done. The front axle has no bracketry right now. I originally had the front axle flipped to driver's side and found too many interference problems running it that way so I cut everything off to flip it to passenger side and run the D300. Almost all the cleanup is done on the housing, about another 30mins of grinding will finish it up. Then rebuild and weld all the brackets back on and it'll be good to go or you could use an RE kit for the bracketry. I used stock XJ coil buckets and built LCA and UCA mounts the first time. I have some LCA mounts that go with it.

I have two cables for the lockers, I was going to order up a couple Ox locker handles to actuate them. Some guys have run the D30 LockRight in these axles in competition, so that's another option if you dont want selectable.

It's an awesome rig and I'm not happy about selling it.

Being in Upland, you're welcome to come take a look at it anytime.

That works. I think I've met you before while picking up some shafts for Cal.

Sale pending. Thanks JohnX! :beer:

I've seen this truck and everything is super clean and professional. 6k is an absolute freaking steal. Good luck with the sale.

Thanks Logan!

SOLD SOLD SOLD

Thanks for the comments guys!

(for those of you SocalXJ'ers this is a crosspost. I thought the Naxja guys might like to see how she turned out.)

Well, I finished up all the work on the MJ (for now) and drove it down to the carwash for a bath. It actually drives pretty damn decent considering no rear shocks & a sketchy draglink setup. Otherwise no issues, no wobbles, nothing out of the ordinary. I really really hate to let this go after actually driving it. :tears:

Capt. Ron did an AMAZING job welding those flanges & truing them, I felt NO wobble or weirdness in the axles at all. THANK YOU CAPT RON, very very much.

The disc conversion does what it's supposed to do, it'll stop better once I get a chance to bleed the brakes. But they work well, I guess 4 x 13" rotors outa work well..

and the pics.. Thanks to everyone (especially Cal) that helped me get this fawker done in time. JohnX is a lucky SOB. :)

babys_first_wash.jpg

cool_portal_view.jpg

rear_disc.jpg

See John, I even washed it for ya! :wierd:

SWEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!

Spinning 36's is good :D

Strokers nice. Bled the brakes and they are awesome too.

I cut up the old exhaust pipe and rerouted it with just the muffler, temporary, but very nice.

Thanks Jim...everything is like you said.

Skwerly said:
OMG man, what a truck! Very cool work on that thing, couldn't ask for better! Now, gimmie a ride? :yap:
You'll have to Come to JV in November. That will be my first planned trip with the club (although I will have several test runs between now and then).

Back