• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Disc Brake Conversions and Front Upgrades

EMSJEEP

NAXJA Forum User
It seems (from searching) like it has been too long since this discussion has come up, so I naturally feel obligated to revive it. Two issues, First, Rear Disc Kits, which is best, is any, where to buy? Second, (and perhaps more importantly) short of paying shipping fees from Australia, (though that kit does look very nice) does anyone make the Front disc brake upgrade kit with the dual piston caliper and larger rotors, etc? I mean one can always find larger rotors, but as to what to do for a caliper and how to mount it, I can't do that on my own. Do it once do it right, so performance minded, but pricey suggestions are welcome too.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/303mm-REAR-DISC-BRAKES-JEEP-XJ-CHEROKEE-TJ-WRANGLER_W0QQitemZ140114980012QQihZ004QQcategoryZ102339QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting
Hopefully this will be the final major portion of my upcoming summer project.
Thanks,
Alex

That looks like Marcus' kit. GoJeep I think is his handle. I'd pm him with any questions about that kit.

As far as the front goes, yeah, there is a dual piston front kit out there.....

www.VancoPBS.com About $750 for knuckles, rotors, and calipers.

DKJ1000-2.jpg

vancossembly.jpg

vancokit.jpg

vancoknuckles.jpg

DSC04724.jpg

And a review right here....
http://www.jeepforum.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=152&cat=54

Any idea what vehicle those calipers and rotors are stock to, I'd want to go to Hawk pads and maybe powerslots if I did that kit.

Yes that is the kit Gojeep mentions, but I'm not crazy about the caliper mounting bracket, the knuckle replacement looks alot safer.

Does anyone have any experiance with this company? I was kinda thinking of asking if I could just buy the knuckles and shop around for calipers maybe, or if anyone has any input into the quality of the ones it comes with that would help also. I would almost definately go out and get aftermarket rotors so buying theirs would just be a waste of money, and space in my basement. I suppose I could give them a call Monday.

Any other kits out there, front upgrades and rear kits, maybe even some 12" dual piston rear kits, any of those floating around? I've been web searching for hours and only come up with the usual suspects, and the junkyard parts lists.

Thanks for posting that kit though, it may very well be in the future of my Jeep.

not to keen on the welding, I can't do it, I don't know anyone who can do it for a decent price and if I can get one piece bolt on, I would rather have it than have to worry about how good someone else can weld. But it does look like the best setup if you can get the spacers welded right, thats just not my cup of tea.

Shogun said:
And so the unanswered question about the Vanco kit is; which ford parts are they using? part nums and application?
Inquiring minds want to know. :)

If memory serves me right they are using 02' ford sport trac rotors and Cobra calipers... at least I know those work with the WJ knuckles.

Thats sorta what I was hoping. There should be lots of Cobra upgrades avail. Can you say "4 piston Brembos"?
Would like to see a side-by-side of the stock vs. Venco pads.

If this can be overbuilt, I will do it, rest assured...too bad I'm too lazy to call over ther and see if they will sell me the knuckles...argh, I'll get on that Wednesday

EMSJEEP said:
Any idea what vehicle those calipers and rotors are stock to, I'd want to go to Hawk pads and maybe powerslots if I did that kit.

Yes that is the kit Gojeep mentions, but I'm not crazy about the caliper mounting bracket, the knuckle replacement looks alot safer.

I have the Vanco kit and will add the install to my buildup thread, with before and after performance stats so you'll get the real world upgrade comparo.......should have my axle finished and installed in 30 days or less. BTW, Van said the Hawks pads that are on the market right now are poo, performance pad manufacturers are always messing around with different friction material combinations, less of a science than one would think.

Interesting comment from the link posted 53guy??

"The new brakes up front solved known problems (weak and damaged knuckles) and it did seem like it helped braking performance a little. But now it was time to deliver more power to these bad boys. Since I don't have any plans on going larger than 33's I opted for the Vanco Vaccum Kit."

Regarding the rear disc conversion:

When I bought mine, a fine Ford 8.8 axle was mounted inbetween the two discs. Since it´s a lot stronger than the D35 I kept it... :looney:

I think it´s the cheapest and best way to get better brakes AND a better rear axle.

We're using 1995-2000 Ford Explorer 4x4 dual piston calipers, rotors, pads, bracket. The knuckle has been modified to accept it all. We removed the inherent weakness to the knuckles then reinforced them where we mount the new calipers.

We're now on our 7th or 8th set of pads in testing. We supplied the first hundred or so kits with Performance Friction carbon metallic pads, they're fine but need to be heated a bit to work to their full potential. The Hawks have faired the worst, we've been reading up on them as much as you guys have and had high hopes. I haven't decided if we'll post the full testing of all the pads, but rest assured the tests are severe. We're currently using a Ceramic pad that has performed very well in all conditions (wet, cold, down Big Bear Mountain etc). We still have many pads we're testing, everything Vanco does is an ongoing process to improve.

We have also tested slotted rotors. The rotor we used is the exact same rotor we have been using in all our kits and all our testing. The only difference was it was slotted (I stress, the only difference). All we did was remove the standard rotors and put on the slotted, everything else stayed the same. We used the exact same break in procedure we used for every test, all constants nothing is done differently. The results killed the brake kit, it felt like it was back to pre Vanco brakes. There was nothing we could do to get constant great brakes back again. Fearing something went wrong we put the old rotors back on, immediately getting back awesome brakes that can put you through the windshield.

We'll still be testing slotted rotors, after talks with the manufacturers they have recommended two other types of pads. We'll be trying them, at this time however I am recommending no slotted rotors until we find something that works at least as well as what we're using now. We have our thoughts on why they failed so bad and intend on solving it.

This kit is locking up TJ, XJs, ZJs etc with stock brakes running 33-37 inch tires. No other mods are done, stock booster, master, proportioning valves etc. YJs running the stock single diaphragm brake booster and 35+ size tires may need a bigger booster. The "53guy" was a YJ guy.

I mention the testing we have done for a few reasons. One of course is to let you know Vanco is always striving to better themselves, even when they have a kit with a 100% satisfaction rating. The other is to show you the results we get using other parts not recommended by us. With the results we have from Hawk Pads and Slotted rotors there's a very real possibility anyone doing that will be very unsatisfied with the kit. I pride myself on keeping my customers happy, I don't feel my knuckles with this kind of set up would make anyone happy.

At this time I am selling it as a kit only. That may change in the future as nothing is set in stone. I hope you guys understand. We will strive to get a set of slotted rotors and pads working up to our standards and I will let you know when we do.

Note: I am not a Vendor on this board, however I have PMed who I think is in charge of that to fix it. I don't like to "pimp" my product like this unless I am a vendor, however I did want to answer the questions.

Vancopbs said:
YJs running the stock single diaphragm brake booster and 35+ size tires may need a bigger booster. The "53guy" was a YJ guy.

Van, I need to set the record straight.....I've NEVER owned a YJ......There, better now.

53guy said:
Van, I need to set the record straight.....I've NEVER owned a YJ......There, better now.
I am sorry, I handle all the sales here and only know of one guy who has installed the disc kit that felt he needed more power and that was a YJ owner with 35s. Did you purchase a disc kit from me and need to upgrade the booster?

"The new brakes up front solved known problems (weak and damaged knuckles) and it did seem like it helped braking performance a little. But now it was time to deliver more power to these bad boys. Since I don't have any plans on going larger than 33's I opted for the Vanco Vaccum Kit."
This led me to believe that.

Vancopbs said:
I am sorry, I handle all the sales here and only know of one guy who has installed the disc kit that felt he needed more power and that was a YJ owner with 35s. Did you purchase a disc kit from me and need to upgrade the booster?

This led me to believe that.

Nope, just posted the link, never have bought anything from you. I do have 35's and feel I need a bit more braking, but kinda off topic for this discussion. I've got a dana 44 front and 60 rear and I think it's more of a volume issue than braking issue. I'll be calling you sometime here soon anyways about other stuff.

The only real reason I was considering cross drilled or otherwise modified rotors was because of the tendancy to loose braking ability after submerging in water, apparently they shed water better...

I installed the Vanco kit about a month ago on my '92 and am impressed.

They are a definite improvement over the stock setup and damn easy to install.

Back