• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which tires?

90exjay

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so i have talked about this in the tech threads,but asking people that don't live in our area i get way to many confusing respones,so these are the tires i'm looking at 33x12.50x15 mtr's, maxxis big horn radials, baja claw radials.

These will be daily driven and on trails in the northwest.So whats everybody's honest opinion about these tires?

p.s. i will be making a purchase within the next week or so

Thnx Sean

Why reinvent the wheel?

Interco SSRs. Amazingly quiet on the highway (really...you wouldn't believe it: I can't hear them over the gears.) and all the traction you could need. Or MT/Rs.

I know you asked for opinions about those two tires, but I don't see Baja Claws on many rigs out here, for whatever reason, and I've never seen (that I can recall) the Bighorn. Good luck!

-----Matt-----

Baja claws are a joke. MT/R's are a good agressive all-terrain tire, but fill up quick /w the mud we get here. My recommendation, although you didn't list it, would be for the Interco Trxus M/T. A couple of our guys are running them and really like them on the street, in the rocks, mud, etc. I can get you some good pricing on them too.

J

Avanteone said:
Baja claws are a joke. MT/R's are a good agressive all-terrain tire, but fill up quick /w the mud we get here. My recommendation, although you didn't list it, would be for the Interco Trxus M/T. A couple of our guys are running them and really like them on the street, in the rocks, mud, etc. I can get you some good pricing on them too.

J

i just got some used bajas and i like them

why dont you guys like them?

Avanteone said:

J

Ill second what John says. I got a set 31X10.50 Trxus MT's and love them. Work great on rocks, dirt, mud, sand, ect... Haven't tried them out yet on the snow, but Im sure they will do great. Quiet on the freeway. Priced just about right too.

Have heard nothing but good things about the Trxus M/T. MT/r is what I chose and they Do clog up a little quicker, which requires more wheel spin to clean (of course this creates more chance of axle shaft breakage in the right situation). Great on the street and I've heard they're even better when they're siped, though I haven't had mine done yet. What I have run though are the BFG MTs, which you can never go wrong with. More spacing between their lugs = cleans easier.

IXNAYXJ said:
Why reinvent the wheel?

Interco SSRs. Amazingly quiet on the highway (really...you wouldn't believe it: I can't hear them over the gears.) and all the traction you could need. Or MT/Rs.

I know you asked for opinions about those two tires, but I don't see Baja Claws on many rigs out here, for whatever reason, and I've never seen (that I can recall) the Bighorn. Good luck!

-----Matt-----

i know you havent had problems with em but i've seen quite a few cut ssr sidewalls. im goin bias tsl or LTB here in a couple weeks.

Avanteone said:

J

2nd that I'm running 33-12.50-15 trxus mt's. they are pretty quiet, and do really well in our local terrain. I've had some balancing issues but nothing that would keep me from recomending them

I'd go BFG M/T's all the way. I run a set of 33's and love them. I used to run swampers, and after about 9 months on the road I had nothing but a pair of racing slicks. I don't know much about they're new M/T, Trxus. From what I've heard Goodyear mtr's, Toyo m/t's and Bfg m/t's are all about the same performance, on and off road. But bfg's are cheaper. Try to find a cheap used set of the ones you think you'll like and try them out. If you don't like them your not out 800 bucks.

From what I've seen, the Trxus and the BFG M/T's are very comparable in strength, performance, etc. I think the BFG has SLIGHTLY better road manners and may last a hair longer, but you can buy FIVE Trxus for less than FOUR BFG's. That's a deciding factor for lots of people, and probably the reason they've been on and off of national backorder for the last couple of months :)

J

PoSxJ said:
I'd go BFG M/T's all the way. I run a set of 33's and love them. I used to run swampers, and after about 9 months on the road I had nothing but a pair of racing slicks. I don't know much about they're new M/T, Trxus. From what I've heard Goodyear mtr's, Toyo m/t's and Bfg m/t's are all about the same performance, on and off road. But bfg's are cheaper. Try to find a cheap used set of the ones you think you'll like and try them out. If you don't like them your not out 800 bucks.

jerics4life said:
i just got some used bajas and i like them

why dont you guys like them?

I have never personally had claws. However, I have been around several rigs with them. The ONLY thing that I have seen them do OK, is climb in the dirt. They clog in our mud, they slide everywhere in our snow, and they do not do well in the wet roots we have.

Just my opinion and only provided as information requested.

Michael

I have heard good things from the guys that use HighTechRetreads.

I have BFG MT's. BUT as the tread wears out, I am converting to Truxus.

Heard Great things about Truxus.

Not going to get there AT's but the sure look cool.

Jason

toyo mt best thing i got for my jeep. I wheel brown's camp and play in the sand my jeep is my work truck so i drive it alot last set of toyo's i got about 30,000 miles out of them now i run 33 13.5 17 toyo's

Toyo's rule.

If you want more agressive though. A TSL is the way to go out here. Either radial, or SX, they cant be beat in the PNW. Buddy of mine has 33 X 10.50 Swamper TSL Radials and whoops ass on the trails.

If it's a daily driver / weekend wheeler, I would go with the Toyo or BFG MT.

Just a quick price comparison from 4 Wheel Parts.

BFG M/T= $169.99 I had them, worked great. Quiet, lasted long.

MT/R=$227.99 Cheaper at Wal Mart or PM ECKSJAY, he may be able to point you in the right direction with these.

Baha Claw=$171.99 Herd from numerous people they are teh suck.

Trxus MT's=$149.99 Cheapest so far. Good durability. I also see the price has gone up about $10-$15 bucks for most sizes. I went in and ordered them from 4WP, picked them up like 4 days later. They should have them in stock.

Toyo Open Country MT=$186.99 They are 13.50" wide, but I do like the tread lay out, and wideness of them. I hear good things about them.

Just a quick jaunt of prices and such for ya.

What would we do without you Eli?:D

Seriously though, have you got to put those truxus to the test yet?

XJLaredo said:
What would we do without you Eli?:D

Seriously though, have you got to put those truxus to the test yet?

You would be better off without me. :D

Yea, They work well on rocks, throught a river, in sand in E. WA, Mud(eck) on some private property, and on pavement. ;) Thinking about a quick run to Tahuya this saturday morning.

If i wasn't going to be in seattle all day. i'd go with you. Sounds like fun.

Back