• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cage fondation

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
Ok so we bent up the fondation of my cage a couple of weeks ago.

Rear Hoop.
203-205003.jpg

Center hoop or B-Hoop.
203-205004.jpg

Front leggs, with dash bar.
203-205005.jpg

Ok so first question is what program is useful to draw lines to similate cross bars? Second, this is a 2 door, I want some sort of triangulation on the B-hoop but I want to keep the back seat accessable for my twinns. Third, should I put a C hoop behind the back seat or just go with the ones I have? The goal is not to build a jungle gym but to add to the rigidity of the unibody and add saftey to us in the event of a roll off road.

Ghost said:
Second, this is a 2 door, I want some sort of triangulation on the B-hoop but I want to keep the back seat accessable for my twinns. Third, should I put a C hoop behind the back seat or just go with the ones I have? The goal is not to build a jungle gym but to add to the rigidity of the unibody and add saftey to us in the event of a roll off road.

Being that I just acquired a 2 door, I'm asking the same questions. Unfortunately... there are not a lot of options. I couldn't come up with any cross bracing at the B hoop that would not make it a MAJOR PITA to get in and out of (the back seat that is). You could do whatever you want at the C hoop (the one you skipped - behind the back seat)... but that's so far back, does it even count?

Unless somebody comes up with something I hadn't considered... I'm going to be skipping it altogether (until I chop the top - someday).

Billy

JeepFreak21 said:
I agree. That would work for me, if I chopped the top, but not before. Nice try though Opie.
Billy
I have two ideas and would like to draw them up on the picture but I don't know how that is done. The only program I know how to use is paint and it sucks. What are you guys using to put info on your images?

To bad you don't live closer. We could put the old "mechanical engineering" mind to work, bend a few tubes and figure this thing out.

So you want to have access to the entire back seat, or if the center was somewhat unuseable that would be okay as long as a kid could sit on each side?

Also, any problem with tubes running behind their heads between backseat and back storage?

Scrappy said:
you could do something like this... it would make access to the back doable from one side only though. Still strong IMO.

untitledkn0.png

This is true. I may really consider that.
Maybe go diagonally one way behind the front seats and the other way behind the rear seat? :dunno:
I know the cross brace makes a big difference right there, but is it really necessary? You don't see too many wrangler's with them. Is that because the whole cage structure is shorter (horizontally)? Is the cross brace needed to protect the passengers or just the Jeep?
Billy

Scrappy said:
you could do something like this... it would make access to the back doable from one side only though. Still strong IMO.

untitledkn0.png
That is one of the ideas. Except add a perpendicular bar behind the driver. The other is corner braces that run from the top bar to a side bar.

motorman said:
To bad you don't live closer. We could put the old "mechanical engineering" mind to work, bend a few tubes and figure this thing out.

So you want to have access to the entire back seat, or if the center was somewhat unuseable that would be okay as long as a kid could sit on each side?

Also, any problem with tubes running behind their heads between backseat and back storage?
I'm probably giong to run a hoop behind the back seat and it will have X's in it!

Why not put an x on just the drivers half of the b pillar, like this

or somthing like this

it got to help out a bit. kids can still get in the back, just through the passenger side, but you didnt really want to get out yourself to let people in the back did you?

Yea my seat was going to be irrelavent in tearms of gaining access to the back seat. That is also somethinng that was considered.

buzzbombxj said:

or somthing like this

it got to help out a bit. kids can still get in the back, just through the passenger side, but you didnt really want to get out yourself to let people in the back did you?

Hmmm... I would be very interested in hearing opinions on the effectiveness of this design.
Billy

buzzbombxj said:

or somthing like this

These both look like they would do the job. Its better then nothing..

Just have the kids go in the back and climb over the seat lol.
That is what my da made me do.:roflmao:

What about something like this? I know it's a compromise, but....
bhoopna0.th.jpg

or
bhoop2kq7.th.jpg

Kyung

Last edited:
corbinafly said:
What about something like this? I know it's a compromise, but....
bhoopna0.th.jpg

or
bhoop2kq7.th.jpg

Kyung

Kyung's idea is closer to ideal. But if you are running 5 point harnesses you will run into a problem with the shoulder mount center point.
You should never have this point lower than a few inches from your actual shoulders, and it should be on a center line to your neck. Any off-set could result in neck injuries and even spinal injuries in a frontal impact situation.
I spent some time looking at my son's two door and decided if we were to cage it we would need to dump the back seats. I wish I was versed in some CAD program so I could show you what I'm thinking about....but I'm not too computer savey....:dunno:
Look at it like this. Your seat belt (5 point harness) shoulder mount(s) should be located right between your shoulder blades (behind the seat.)
Does that make any sence?

Rick

Jump This said:
Kyung's idea is closer to ideal. But if you are running 5 point harnesses you will run into a problem with the shoulder mount center point.
You should never have this point lower than a few inches from your actual shoulders, and it should be on a center line to your neck. Any off-set could result in neck injuries and even spinal injuries in a frontal impact situation.
I spent some time looking at my son's two door and decided if we were to cage it we would need to dump the back seats. I wish I was versed in some CAD program so I could show you what I'm thinking about....but I'm not too computer savey....:dunno:
Look at it like this. Your seat belt (5 point harness) shoulder mount(s) should be located right between your shoulder blades (behind the seat.)
Does that make any sence?

Rick

Do they make seats that, when properly mounted themselves, allow you to mount the shoulder harness to the back of the seat?
Billy

Back