• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big bear

etaniyani

NAXJA Forum User
hey, has anyone been up to big bear recently, and if so what are the conditions like on the trails? We're planning on going up next weekend to run holcomb or john bull etc. and gonna camp over night. Do they close the camp grounds during the winter or are they still open? Thanks for the info.

well i know for sure they definately got some snow( maybe 12" in some spots) up there in last few days..... have to see what the weather does this next week.
Sure it will be fun though!

www.bigbearinfo.com

http://www.bigbeardiscoverycenter.com/camping.html

You can always call the Ranger station or Discovery Center before you head up. If there is snow and ice, I would be very careful running Holcomb, and even John Bull.

They did receive at least 6" of snow over the past couple days, deeper in some areas.

Ya'll have fun and take picstures!

It's COOOOLD up there at night... BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR..

I was up there 2 weeks ago and it was fun.. There was only a little bit of snow back then...

Have Fun... I love it up there..

Elias
Eh-lee-us

ya i'm excited, they got lots of snow according to the snow reports, and hopefully a little more this week. Average night temp. is like 24, but we have good equipment for it. I'll be sure to take pictures. thanks everyone for the info.

which way does everyone usually run john bull? we may finish that trail kinda early, anyone recommend another trail thats kinda close besides holcomb? we're gonna be camping at holcomb camp ground. Thanks.

Usually east to west.

You could do Gold Mountain, then John Bull.

here are couple pictures from sat. on john bull. Nice day, good amount of snow, and at the end of the day it was all mud, lots of fun.

2ywg8j9.jpg

2gwzuxk.jpg

490ctxy.jpg

2w6e8g9.jpg

Back