NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old February 19th, 2007, 17:46
NAXJA Forum User

Guage Cluster Bulbs

While tending to a post i had over on Jeepforum.com in the TJ section, i stumbled upon a post for led lights to go in the guage cluster:
http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=370486

It says to order 5 #74 bulbs... so i did, assuming the guage clusters were the same on my '97 XJ. Well, now that i've looked around, it appears that i need the #194 bulbs
Can anybody tell me what bulbs to use in my '97? i sure hope the 74's will work because i got a little excited and jumped the gun, i ordered 5 of the red ones last night
Thanks!
Old February 19th, 2007, 19:14
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Guage Cluster Bulbs

If I remember correctly, you'll need the 194s. You can pick up red or blue colored 194s at just about any auto parts store. Probably cheaper than having them shipped.
Old February 19th, 2007, 19:19
NAXJA Forum User

Should be #168 or #194 (essentially the same bulb.)

The coloured incandescents tend to have their colour fade and chip over time, and you start getting white light. However, the problem is LEDs is that they tend to be "directional" - the light comes out the end of the emitter, and I think the widest-angled emitter I've seen is only 90 degrees or so. Since your cluster illumination will depend upon light coming out the sides, you may have trouble.

Of course, spray-bombing the back of the gage bezel (behind the lense) with "spray chrome" should help considerably.

I've got most OEM listings like this up on my website - I'm not sure I've got the lamps page done yet, but it's worth checking. If not, let me know and I'll see why I haven't updated it yet...
Old February 19th, 2007, 19:45
NAXJA Forum User

i didn't see the bulb info anywhere on the site. The LED's that i got have three bulbs a piece and they are all angled to spread the light evenly.

is there any chance that the 74's will work? what kind of work am i looking at to make them fit?
Thanks!
Old February 19th, 2007, 19:48
NAXJA Forum User

I have the old cluster out of my 98XJ sitting here on my lap. I count 14 teeny bulbs, 3 medium bulbs and 3 larger ones. Not sure of the sizes.
Total holes on the teeny ones are 17 depending on options I guess, three are unused on the idiot cluster.