• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Evan's Creek---> 9July06

IXNAYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I made my first trip to Evan's Creek this year, at the suggestion of GI-John, who wanted to show visiting relatives what "wheeling" was...and why he had so much money into a Jeep. :D We also brought two E.C. Virgins out there to check it out: Slacker87XJ (Ian) and GreenbeltXJ (Cody) both took their rigs out.

The day started well, all meeting at the Bonney Lake Safeway as usual. We set out about 9:00 am and were on the trails around 9:30. Since this was a few of the group's first time to E.C. we had to stop and admire the view from the bridge. Everyone was warned not to sneeze while stopped, though, as it might be more than the rickity old bridge could take:

DSC00003.jpg

Airing down, and disco'ing:

DSC00004.jpg

We hit 311a first. A (blurry) shot of GreenbeltXJ's two-door. The only rig in the group with open diffs, he did quite well, only needing a tug twice.

DSC00007.jpg

Me, same place.

DSC00010.jpg

And true to form, I had a meeting with the hatch-killer-stump, which I will now refer to "Matt's Tree Stump of DOOM." Those of you who were on the last Evans run will know what I'm talking about!

DSC00013.jpg

CRUNCH!!! Only a (already broken) tail light this time, luckily.

af9c18dd.jpg

Aghhh! Pull that arm in, Cody! Demonstarting the "Out-Rigger Roll Mitigation System" on Jeep Cherokees....

3992d561.jpg

Ian, showing how over-rated flex is:

50a48ab3.jpg

c81fa17f.jpg

On to the stair steps (or whatever you want to call the last obstacle on 311a). Going up the middle:

65c5a861.jpg

More to come!

-----Matt-----

DSC00025.jpg

DSC00026.jpg

Squeezing around the sharp bend at the top of the right line. Stalled it once, but didn't hit either side. Phew! Thanks for the spot, John!

DSC00026.jpg

Ian giving it a shot:

DSC00035.jpg

DSC00036.jpg

Yes, that tire is off the ground...showing how flex isn't over rated sometimes!

DSC00037.jpg

DSC00038.jpg

This is FrankenXJ...the Body Damage Special. Owner is a guy named Dan (non-NAXJA member) with his wife Rita and son Dan Jr. I'd wheeled with him once before and we just happened to be airing down as he pulled up in the parking lot...we offered to let him join us, and he accepted. And then there were five....

DSC00039.jpg

Minimal lift, 32x10.50 bias-ply swampers, lockers front and back, lots of armor, and a total disregard for body damage. There wasn't a single square inch of un-molested metal...which made fitting between trees a non-issue.

DSC00040.jpg

DSC00041.jpg

-----Matt-----

Looks like a good time.

You must have strapped that spare down good this time.:D

Cody making a valiant, though ultimately unsuccessful, attempt at the left line:

DSC00029.jpg

Airing down, just a little more. Didn't help there, though it probably did later on down the trail. With Ian's OBA, airing down lots is a luxury we could all afford. I was running about 6\7 PSI, and and the Swampers never complained.

DSC00028.jpg

Getting winched up by Dan in the B.D.S.:

DSC00043.jpg

DSC00042.jpg

John goin up the middle:

DSC00044.jpg

DSC00045.jpg

DSC00046.jpg

Ian watching on as John barely misses dragging his fender flare along the roots...forgeting to mention the his front bumper cap was about to be eaten by the stump out in front. Ironically, this was the same place Ian lost his! :D

DSC00049.jpg

DSC00048.jpg

Pushing on:

DSC00052.jpg

-----Matt-----

The money shot:

DSC00056.jpg

DSC00058.jpg

There was almost no mud up there, just in the regular deep spots.

DSC00065.jpg

On to the next trail! We skipped 311b and went straight to 520. We ended up taking the same (very challenging) route as the last Evans run...168, I think? The "Switchback" as some call it.

DSC00069.jpg

DSC00070.jpg

DSC00071.jpg

DSC00072.jpg

Cody had a little trouble here, but made it through on his own after a few tries:

DSC00074.jpg

New dent. Or as Cody says, he was just evening out the other side. :D

DSC00078.jpg

I can hear the Dana 35 letting go....

DSC00079.jpg

It didn't but, he's got a D44 waiting for gears at home.

DSC00081.jpg

Dan just aimed down the trail letting the XJ bounce like a pin-ball between the roots/trees.

1327b13c.jpg

Well, that's all I could get before the batteries went dead on the down load.

Will GI-John flop his truck again? Or will he conquer the trail, leaving the roll-over to another Jeeper?

Tune in tomorrow for the harrowing tale's exciting conclusion as our intrepid wheelers finish the Switchback!

So yeah, I'll post the rest (and the best) of the pics tomorrrow. :D

-----Matt-----

Last edited:
pdxxjnoob said:
Awesome! And, that huge mountain in the background almost looks fake. What mountain is that?

It is fake - it's a mural on the side of a Wal-Mart at the Supermall of America in Illinois and Matt just photoshopped it in there. :D

Actually it's Mount Rainier up close ;)

workaholic said:
looks like a blast, cant wait to get a real suspension and tires on my MJ so I can head out to the trails with you guys.

Tom

You would be AMAZED at what a small lift and 31's will go through.

If you want, tag along on the next run if you feel your rig isn't up for the trail.

P.S.

Thanks for the Impromptu ride Matt, Ian, and Cody. This is a trip that my family will likely never forget.

Doesn't Ian know how to disconnect the front swaybar :)
That front tire would be on the ground if they were disco'ed :)

I can't wait to get back on the trail with you guys!!

Michael

Hey looks like you guys had a great time. I love the pics. I can't wait to go to Evans again. Maybe Sept 9th/10th with an unnamed group.

Nice catch Michael, Maybe Ian has a In Cab Electronic Disco.

2xtreme said:
Doesn't Ian know how to disconnect the front swaybar :)
That front tire would be on the ground if they were disco'ed :)

I can't wait to get back on the trail with you guys!!

Michael

Actually, I tested that with a floor jack when I first bought the rig, and with the swaybar disco'd I only get about 1/2" more droop cause the LCAs hit the top of the axle mount brackets and limit the travel :(

Besides, this way I can call the heep 'tripod' :D

-i

Okay...here're the rest.

John; the last one through the trees:

DSC00090.jpg

Threading our way down the hill, dodging giant logs:

DSC00092.jpg

DSC00104.jpg

My new favorite pic:

DSC00095.jpg

DSC00097.jpg

Note custom left/front bumper cap:

DSC00098.jpg

Ian said:
I'm sure glad I didn't buy an FJ60! The XJ barely fits!
DSC00099.jpg

DSC00101.jpg

Dan; taking an unusual amount of care:

DSC00102.jpg

Let's try this corner again:

DSC00108.jpg

Backing up for a better angle. Starting to get tippy!

DSC00107.jpg

Starting to get really tippy. Pucker factor!

DSC00109.jpg

Whew! Made it through all the nasty stuff. BTW, that was where GI-John went over last time...so my fear wasn't totally irrational. :)

DSC00110.jpg

-----Matt-----

DSC00111.jpg

DSC00112.jpg

Ian; getting lined up:

DSC00113.jpg

Ian got a great line and had no problems:

DSC00114.jpg

DSC00118.jpg

We had a really close call right after this pic was taken. I was standing the drivers side of Dan's rig, watching Ian move down the trail, with John right next to me. All of a sudden, Dan's rig lurched and starting tipping..and tipping...and not stoping! I heard Dan sorta yell/shout with surprise as the XJ hit the point of no return. I lept back initially (you know, to avoid getting crushed!), but John didn't hesitate to run right in and push the truck back. I came to my senses and we both pushed, managing to put it back on her wheels.

It was about three inches away from where John went over last time...at least now we know John wasn't the only one dumb enough to flop there! ;)

-----Matt-----

DSC00121.jpg

A little wide there, John:

DSC00122.jpg

Managed to keep the clean side up, this time:

DSC00125.jpg

Coming out by the pond:

DSC00129.jpg

Managing not to swamp it this time:

DSC00130.jpg

Ian showing off his OBA:

DSC00132.jpg

What Jeeping trip would be complete without at least one mechanical issue?

DSC00134.jpg

Note the socket and wrench instead of a bolt: :D

DSC00140.jpg

Ass-hat alert! I guess he didn't like his fender flares!

DSC00139.jpg

Well, there you go. Thanks to everyone who went for the great time. I really want to go back soon and run the switchback the other direction. I have a feeling it would be more fun and less precarious in certain places. Michael? Hans? ;)

-----Matt-----

Wow, that place looks great. Haven't been there yet. If you guys set up another trip this summer I'd like to go. Great pictures too.

Back