• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

it died

it_broke_down

NAXJA Forum User
my 90 jeep cherokee 4.0 will not run,!!!1 the last time it run the engine rpms dropped from 3000 to zero a couple of times and then just died. I let it cool off because it over heats A LOT. I tried to start it later and nothing just a sputter I have rebuilt almost the whole iginiton side of the motor and no results it doesn't even fire, nor is it getting fuel. Any ideas?

Hmm.. I know this seems totally obvious and stupid, but check your fuel pump? Mine went bad early on (6 years after i bought my '99). Of course, if you have around that year, it'll be a bitch to get the pump out (especially if you have a trailer hitch/full tank).

No spark? Bad CPS.

No fuel? Bad fuel pump...

Doesn't sound like you blew the motor, unless you heard some gnarly knocking before this happened.

over heats alot---sounds like it could be the head gasket. Try a compression test. If that is good, I would look at the cps and nss.

more information is needed.
What have you replaced on the ignition side?
Does it have spark?
Have you bypassed the fuel pump ballast resistor on the drivers side fender?
Have you swapped the fuel pump relay with another one?
checked the fusible link?
It should be a green fusible link on a red wire, there will be more than one. That's to the best of my recolllection.
If those fail try wiring the pump directly to the battery, using the proper gauge wiring of course. If the pump still doesn't work, replace pump. If it works wired to the battery and not the harness something is wrong with the harness or a relay.

Back