• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What does your 99 keyless entry remote look like?

IROCthe4.0

NAXJA Forum User
Pretty much just as the title says. My 99 owners manual shows the later style key fob, you kno the rounded one. I have a feeling my XJ needs the rectangular one. Im not really sure which to order. If you guys could post a pic of what your 99 has, or let me kno what it looks like that would be helpful.
Matt

IROCthe4.0 said:
Pretty much just as the title says. My 99 owners manual shows the later style key fob, you kno the rounded one. I have a feeling my XJ needs the rectangular one. Im not really sure which to order. If you guys could post a pic of what your 99 has, or let me kno what it looks like that would be helpful.
Matt

IIRC, the rectangular ones were the earlier infrared remotes; the rounded 'teardrop' shaped ones are used on '97-up and are RF. Both are mutually-incompatible, and you'll need the rounded one. It'll also need to be programmed by the dealer.

Seeing as how it's 2am, and I just got done writing an english paper (last minute of course), and i've been up since about 7am loading our crap into a POD to move (again), to which we're not done yet (which means I get to spend superbowl sunday moving)......uhhh what was the question again?? Ohh yes a picture, yeah I guess I can take a moment and snap a pic for ya....

1000177xn6.jpg

It's hard to read being that the remote is probably 8 years old, but I THINK it's...
56036869AB

Matthew Currie said:
My 99 fob is 56036859AB

Then that is a 5 towards the end...lol.

Thanks, mine has been dropped and scraped up a couple of times from whoever had it before me.

bobhere73 said:
i have a set for sale if you want $20 for both shipped anywhere in US
Do you need to reprogram it or anything? The one on my jeep got messed up and even when i replaced the battery its not working....Im not sure if its the transponder or what (i believe its in the light above the drivers right shoulder. Any ideas?

yes you need to program them its easy though instructions are even in your owners manual i believe #1 sit inside with doors closed ignition off .. #2 open drivers door and move lock lever to lock position.. #3 turn ignition to run position.. #4 press lock button on remote and hold untill remote blinks twice the door locks should now cycle.. #5 turn off ignition within 20 seconds..

bobhere73 said:
#4 press lock button on remote and hold untill remote blinks twice the door locks should now cycle..

Are you sure this isn't for the older IR-based transmitters? There's no LED to blink on the newer ones.

Last edited:
bobhere73 said:
yes you need to program them its easy though instructions are even in your owners manual i believe #1 sit inside with doors closed ignition off .. #2 open drivers door and move lock lever to lock position.. #3 turn ignition to run position.. #4 press lock button on remote and hold untill remote blinks twice the door locks should now cycle.. #5 turn off ignition within 20 seconds..

The late model XJ's need a DRB scan tool to program them. Dealer only option unless you've got $$$$ for a DRB Scan tool....

X2.
97-01 XJ have to be programmed at the dealership. Some dealerships do if for free if you have your XJ in for something else. I got mine done at the time of an oil change. But it depends on the dealership.

sorry i gave instructions for older ones... but you dont need delaer for new ones either... i just did my 2004 minivan that is not IR.. its not same as jeep but easy enough.. i will dig thru my stuff for instructions look in owners manual anyway i did a 2001 cherokee not too long ago so i still have papers someplace

bobhere73 said:
sorry i gave instructions for older ones... but you dont need delaer for new ones either... i just did my 2004 minivan that is not IR.. its not same as jeep but easy enough.. i will dig thru my stuff for instructions look in owners manual anyway i did a 2001 cherokee not too long ago so i still have papers someplace

I'd be interested to hear how this works. My recent experience with having a Sentry Key cut and programmed indicated that there's a PIN (or similar) in the ECU that needs to be duplicated in the key and/or remote. As far as I'm aware, the only way to get at this information with with a DRB-III scan tool; if there's another way of doing it, that opens up a whole world of theft possibilities through cloning.

As much as I want to beleive, you; I think this is to good to be true. Are you sure you weren't thinking for the programatic feature to activate the horn when you lock the doors? You can't program a 97+ remote without the dealer tool...

Please post back with your findings...

i will look into this later on tonight and report back with my findings.. i have been wrong before but i think i was mistaken then.. anyway i have the 2 remotes all buttons are in perfect shape and not faded or worn off.. i will wait to hear if anyone wants them.. if not i toss em on ebay as they are running about $20 each with shipping so these are a decent deal i also have new fobs for liberty commander compass Gr cherokee patriot and all the wranglers non of them have blank keys they are all cut keys but they are all new

bobhere73 said:

Well, your minivan is not a Jeep, so it may be different to program it.....

Sorry, but I still call BS... If you have as factory service manual, look in section 8P. There it states that in order to program the RKE (remote keyless entry), you need a DRB Scan tool in order to do it. Again, this is for the late model XJ's.

A DRB Scan tool, is not to be confused with a simple code reader...two different animals.

I'd love to be proved wrong though... :)

Last edited:
Back