• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New front bigger brakes

Gojeep

NAXJA Forum User
Not usually in the section so some might not know of the 12" disc and twin pot calipers I have been working on since February. Just finished it last night and my last post was.

Well just got in from going around the block 6 times to bed the pads in. The rotors will take longer but don't have the time right now. And the verdict is: Worth it. :)
The pedal is so light and controlled and none of the dead pedal you feel with the old brakes. The stock setup had a similar feel to when too big a master cylinder is used but now it feels so nice and progressive. This will even get better as it all wears in too. :)

DiscBrakes%20122.jpg

DiscBrakes%20130.jpg

DiscBrakes%20134.jpg

Will go well with my new Ford Falcon PBR rear brakes I made a kit for and fitted last week on my new D44. :)
D44Brakes%20029.jpg

Full thread here:http://65.42.106.152/forums/showthread.php?t=742180
And the development here: http://65.42.106.152/forums/showthread.php?t=713518

Looks good.

I was reading, Marcus, and wondering, what on the hubs are modified? And also wondering, how the alloy axle shafts would work with this set up? I'm pretty sure that alloy axle shafts are bigger around the u-joint area, but wasn't positive. What do you think?

The hubs are completely standard and un-changed. The only thing modified is the knuckle where the old caliper mount is removed.
I run the bigger axle uni's already that is stock in the later models but I dont know about the ones you are talking about if they are bigger or not. Be surprised if they are bigger as the later unis are quite close to the knuckle already.

That's some pretty cool stuff you've developed. Did you ever find out about replacement parts in the US?

A couple of people have inquired to become distributors in the USA and will carry spare parts. I have passed on the information to the company that is now selling these come Monday. Even if that falls flat it is only 3 days and you would have pads or rotors from here and it is something that you get plenty of warning before they need chaging. It is not something that breaks! I am trying to find out more on the 2006 Mustang as have only seen pictures and they do look like the same PBR brakes but cannot confirm that yet too.

If you can get me part #'s for the falcon pbr pads and calipers I can tell you if they are the same as the mustang ones. The pads for an '06 stang are bendix p# d1081 I will check on the caliper p# when I am at work.

edit: It turns out no aftermarket companies are making the calipers yet so I will have to call my buddies at the dealership on monday to track down a part number.

Last edited:
If someone is still needed to handle the distribution in CA...let me know what I would have to do? I am close enough to Long Beach and San Diego that I can pick up at port if needed. I also have a truck and storage area for keeping a pallet or so. I do want a set for myself of course!

I have the full write up now too on my site for those that want to see the install.

Great stuff Marcus as usual. Job well done.
Unfortunately I have stock 5-spoke alloy rims with a 5.25" backspacing so getting the rims on the hubs would be a problem for me if I did this mod. Is there any way I can get around that other than by buying new rims with less backspacing?

Dr. Dyno said:
Great stuff Marcus as usual. Job well done.
Unfortunately I have stock 5-spoke alloy rims with a 5.25" backspacing so getting the rims on the hubs would be a problem for me if I did this mod. Is there any way I can get around that other than by buying new rims with less backspacing?
You can fit them to stock rims after the edge profile has been altered in his CNC machine. I will be doing a test fit in the next couple of days.

The topic got moved to the selling section. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=813565&page=4
All updates and driving impressions were given there which were basicly that it is now noticeably less effort and a far more progressive pedal. I can choose to even lock the brakes if I want but it is not un-controlled.
One of the USA guys is hoping to get enough together to do a group buy where the savings in freight will be substantial. Anyone interested should email him on [email protected]
Have not been able to cross reference the pad part numbers as Australia and USA seem to have a different codes system for them.
Those going into the group buy will get a extra free set of pads which for me would mean around 7-8 years of running using 2 sets without needing a replacement anyway.

Got word a few minutes ago that the Ford is looking to export the Falcon XR6 Turbo at the end of the year which run these brakes and pads. :)

I just another brake conversion today on a TJ with 15x8 AR Nitro wheels with 3.75 of BS. The caliper just slid on unmodified at all but the thick stick on wheel weights near the inside edge have to be replaced with the clip on type instead.
The job went quite quickly with the full strip down, ( left the hubs attached to the axle when I pulled them ) and knuckle modified done in the first hour. Took a bit longer than and hour to put it all back as then using a torque wrench instead of a rattle gun and the fitting of the brake lines, load the calipers with pads etc. Then bleed the whole system as you dont want a combination of old and new fluid in there and then test drive including the bedding in of the pads. Still looking at around 3 hours all up with a clean up of tools.

Just want to make a point clear too guys as some have asked why the big difference between the same painted or polished. The reason is that only the polished are surplus calipers where as the painted and the calipers for the big rotor kits are brand new and have never been installed ( as are all the rotors and pads brand new ). The surplus calipers have done maybe 2-3 miles as the car is driven off the assembly line and onto a car carrier and then off again just down the road at Ford Performance Vehicles or FPV. Here the calipers are once again removed and actually fitted with the 330 rotors and matching calipers. So might have some marks on the back of the caliper where it has not been polished afterwards.
Also on spare parts, I have just been told that the Ford Falcon XR6 turbo ( http://www.ford.com.au/range/falconute/models/xr6tute.asp ) and XR8 Ute ( http://www.ford.com.au/range/falconute/models/xr8ute.asp ) and the GT as well so you guys can finally have a rear wheel drive 4 door again ( http://www.fpv.com.au/index.aspx ). ;)

Back