• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TJ RUBICON FRONT DANA 44/ FITMENT TO XJ.

JEEPTUBE

NAXJA Forum User
DOES ANY ONE KNOW IF I CAN PUT A TJ RUBICON FRONT DANA 44 ON MY 97 XJ?
IS THE 44 A HIGH OR LOW PINION AXLE?
WILL IT WORK?
I HAVE ACCESS TO ONE FOR LIKE $800 DOLLARS.

it will bolt right up, but it's not really "much" of an upgrade, a little stronger R&P, but....that's just what i read.

shimmy said:
you still get crappy shafts

Outers maybe? The inner is identical to a Dana 44 shaft. Throw a Warn 5.5 hub kit on there, and some alloy inners, and you have 30 spline Alloy inner and outers.............:thumbup:

That being said, it's really only a worthy upgrade if you can find a Export version. If you can get one for dirt cheap, then go for it. Not for $800 though

JEEPTUBE said:
can anyone define low pinion and high pinion?

High pinion...
InstalledRearEnd01.jpg

Low pinion....
swaybar1.jpg

the Rubi axle is a decent upgrade but not bullet-proof.. $800 is a fair price as long as you dont plan on doing anything but bolting it in. run it for a while and resell it when you are done with it.. you'll get oyur $$ back.. do some research on the locker BEFORE you commit to this swap.. its set to run on a very low presure (compared to ARB and others), 40 psi comes to mind but i think it's even lower. you cannot regear it with conventional gears. and the "hybrid" nature of the design makes it not worth the $$ involved to upgrade it much.. as it sits with the gears and locker.. its a good choice f you are gonna stay to 35s or smaller and just run it in stock form... other than that, pass on it.

the factory air pump for the rubicon 44 and the air locker are set to run at 5-7 psi. i know i have one. got it for free so i took it. it will bolt right in on 91 and later models. the earlier ones need the ball joint holes on the knuckle reamed a bit so that the shafts sit straight. or you can change the knuckles, calipers, and hub beareing to the later style.

devilinside13 said:
the factory air pump for the rubicon 44 and the air locker are set to run at 5-7 psi. i know i have one. got it for free so i took it. it will bolt right in on 91 and later models. the earlier ones need the ball joint holes on the knuckle reamed a bit so that the shafts sit straight. or you can change the knuckles, calipers, and hub beareing to the later style.
You just answered a year old thread! Think they have the answer by now. ;)

I hate to bring up a really old thread but...

I have access to a rubi housing for $100 or less. What would be involved in actually making it worth the $$. truss the axle, change the outer shafts, convert to 5 on 5.5 to match my D44 and manual hubs? Too much work?? Compared to what, building a custom hp44?

Back