• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Billings Canyon

mingo

"De Oppresso Liber"
Attempted Billings yesterday, needless to say I was not not going to make it on 33"s and a truetrac up front. Kicked our ass.

My junk making it over
MyPictures0003.jpg

Coming off the rocks
MyPictures0004.jpg

MyPictures0007.jpg

MyPictures0011.jpg

Then the fun begins
MyPictures0016.jpg

MyPictures0013.jpg

After the DS u jointwas fixed, moved about 2 feet and then this
MyPictures0018.jpg

Sun was starting to set so we decided to turn around and cut our loses and we were running out of parts. I didnt take pictures of the blown front tire bead that took another hour to fix. All in all a fun day, but I'll leave Billings Canyon to the Big Dogs.
MyPictures0022.jpg

Ahhh. Good times.

Me.... I'm heading back as soon as I get the front tire fixed.

Looks like fun.....oh and Log, what the hell, you win a certificate for 35's and you dont have them on yet?

jrsxj98 said:
Looks like fun.....oh and Log, what the hell, you win a certificate for 35's and you dont have them on yet?

I was thinking the same thing - but then I kinda recall him saying his truck needed new skins......

I've been running 35's for a couple of years.
Tracy is the one on 33's.

I thought you were still running 33's, so you must be keepin the BFG's nice and new huh....:cheers:

Billings is tough. You didn't even make it to the hard part though. :) Right around the corner from where you broke is the rock garden area that is really tight and has big rocks. Not a whole lot of options for lines.

The easier line for where you broke is off to the right side.....just so you know. But I definitely recommend putting another locker up front before you try that again. :)

We did it with a couple of XJs on 35s...locked f/r. It was tough going....but we all made it without winching. I took a strap on the last ledge.

IMG_6935.jpg

IMG_6940.jpg

Video:
right click, save target as

LOL i have yet to see a rig on 33's make it without LOTS of winching, many broken parts and tons of body damage. Fatwreck and his crew of XJ's on 35's ran that cleaner than ANY other group of comperably equiped rigs i've seen and that's due to the fact he and his buddy chris are TOP NOTCH drivers with lots of trails under their belt. I run billing probably 2-3 times a month from mar-oct, and usually one or two snow runs a year. It's FUN, but you guys all broke on the easy section....here's what ya missed out on :D
Billings%20Feb050033.JPG

05August0036.JPG

Billings%2005%20aug0030.JPG

Billings%2005%20aug0033.JPG

Billings%2005%20aug0041.JPG

Billings%2005%20aug0043.JPG

Billings%2005%20aug0048.JPG

05August0007.JPG

I walked up ahead and looked at the terrain. Thats when it sunk in that I wasnt gonna make it. Logdog probably could have, but not mine. Mine also is still my DD and didnt want to trash it too bad.

I can admitt its more than what I'm set up for. But I made farther than I though without any breakage. Still was fun :)

Glad you had fun, that's what it's all about!! If you want to tag along with us this summer, PM me, i'd be happy to let you ride along. Also check out www.colorado4x4.org, we usually post up in the staging area when we go.

I've been to the top a couple of times. Hell last time I didnt even carry a spare, and didnt break once. I did take a strap on the last waterfall. But the lemmings had my number this time.

I'll be re-attempting when the weather clears up. :D

Oh yeah...Justin... The BFG's are sitting under the Powerstroke!

Looks like fun. We plan to be out there in May.

BTW, how long a trail is it? Where is it located relative to 21 road?

It's south of 21 road, by the Colorado Natn'l Monument. (Bangs Canyon shares the same staging area) The trail itself is just over a mile long, and takes 3-4 hours to run....on a good day.

Back