• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 SJ cradle/truss

XJ99

NAXJA Forum User
I know I know, I'v read all the post a 1,000 times...about how trashy and poorly designed they are, I never found one good comment, I did happen to come across one cheap so I decided to take It. I want to beef It up and make It work, what do you recommend? Im gonna be cutting the upper brackets and modify It to work without SkyJackers control arms, Im using RE's arms with the stock bushing's. I'll find a way to make that work, but other then that, to beef It up so It dont break like a twig, should I weld and bolt It? Here It is, what do ya think? Oh yea Im sprayin It black, red is out

Interesting.

Looks kinda "tall".

FWIW, here's mine:

template_high.sized.jpg

truss_finished_right.sized.jpg

truss_finished_left.sized.jpg

I am having to redo it (this weekend's project). I'm going to take a closer look at engine to truss interference to see if it is an issue. I'm going to 5" of lift.

HTH

I'm at 8", but It does look rather clunky, I'll have to see how It looks....
unfortunatley I dont have the tools to do a custom truss or I would, thats why I like the bolt in truss...didnt seem anyone else made one...

you would be better off to just throw it away and make an actual truss. Not because i just dont like it because of actual experience. It breaks were it bolts around the pumpkin. If you were to keep it then truss the heck out of it LOL Literally. This is the most unthought of piece of boot anchor that anyone including SJ could of thought of. Sorry but its the truth. Sorry cant help you any further except to offer my honest opinion, good luck Jeff

XJ99 said:
I'm at 8", but It does look rather clunky, I'll have to see how It looks....
unfortunatley I dont have the tools to do a custom truss or I would, thats why I like the bolt in truss...didnt seem anyone else made one...
Mako makes one - but it is weld in. IIRC, ~$80USD. Good value considering the time to measure, cut, etc. - if your time is worth something.

so thats It, try to sell It or something? I was hoping to have a decent truss, no mods I could make to make It work?

It is better then the one you have now.
Proove everyone wrong and make it work.
Also by raising the upper control arm mounts on the axle you could raise the lowers so they don't drag any more.

that pics from ebay, but not the exact one I have in my possession....stole the pick from ebay so those who havent seen one would have an Idea

XJ99 said:
so thats It, try to sell It or something? I was hoping to have a decent truss, no mods I could make to make It work?

To be brutally honest, for the amount of work required to make it into something half decent you'd be better off starting with a flat plate of steel so that you aren't limited by what you already have.

Just my spin.

not bad considering the one I got the picture from on ebay went for 175 for Just the cradle, plus whatever shipping was to the winner, yea I was thinking about It, I was told SJ had a new design, I dont see why they wouldnt swap the old for their new design, since Its a quality control Issue

XJ99 said:
not bad considering the one I got the picture from on ebay went for 175 for Just the cradle, plus whatever shipping was to the winner, yea I was thinking about It, I was told SJ had a new design, I dont see why they wouldnt swap the old for their new design, since Its a quality control Issue

I've never seen the "new" one. Not sure what the differences are. The SJ Truss as it is, is pretty much a bling part.

bigwhitey said:
Heck those new coils would have been about 150 with tax any ways. Good deal.

Yeah, wouldn't say he got screwed but used springs can be a crap shoot. Fatigued to he!! or whatever.

Root Moose said:
Interesting.

Looks kinda "tall".

FWIW, here's mine:

template_high.sized.jpg

truss_finished_right.sized.jpg

truss_finished_left.sized.jpg

I am having to redo it (this weekend's project). I'm going to take a closer look at engine to truss interference to see if it is an issue. I'm going to 5" of lift.

HTH
Be sure to take pics of the new truss.
Did you have interference problems with that truss? Was it hitting the oil pan?

Mine cracked and broke apart pretty bad around the front diff. Were the black oil marks are in your picture. I was at a 6" lift amd it hit the oil pan and broke the oil pump from a little jump. Mainly my fault, no bump stops. But the 37s didn't hit the fendars either. It really helps the control arm angles a lot. my 0.02

Back