• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No shift TCU TPS ??

tgregg

NAXJA Member #1444
I've read all the posts and I'm confused. My 95 seems different than others.
There is a box under the dash below the glove box (does anyone really put gloves in there?) about the size of a cigarette pack with a big plug into the end, there is a 4 pin plug just laying there and a small female thing that looks like a fuse might go into it but it is empty. My trans shifts manually only.
What am I looking for and what am I missing in there if anything. No yellow wire with a fuse. My FSM arrives next weds. but I have time this weekend to play with it.
gregg

tgregg said:
I've read all the posts and I'm confused. My 95 seems different than others.
There is a box under the dash below the glove box (does anyone really put gloves in there?) about the size of a cigarette pack with a big plug into the end, there is a 4 pin plug just laying there and a small female thing that looks like a fuse might go into it but it is empty. My trans shifts manually only.
What am I looking for and what am I missing in there if anything. No yellow wire with a fuse. My FSM arrives next weds. but I have time this weekend to play with it.
gregg
See if this will help.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=75027&highlight=TCU

Well you're probably right!! I don't smoke so I'm not sure of the description and I've already put the lower dash piece back on. I don't understand all this electronic stuff. I guess I'll take it to my transmission shop.
gregg

tgregg said:
I put a fuse in what looked like a fuse holder. no difference.
gregg
The fuse for the TCU is #3 in the PDC panel under the hood.
Also fuse #6 in the PDC is for the shift selector.

Last edited:
Both fuses?? The one mentioned above was good. The one under the dash wasn't there but putting one in the holder didn't help. I'm thinking the TCU is bad but I don't know how to check it without just replacing it.
I'm thinking I need to find a junk yard TCU and swap it in. My trans guy might have some thoughts Monday.
gregg

tgregg said:
Both fuses?? The one mentioned above was good. The one under the dash wasn't there but putting one in the holder didn't help. I'm thinking the TCU is bad but I don't know how to check it without just replacing it.
I'm thinking I need to find a junk yard TCU and swap it in. My trans guy might have some thoughts Monday.
gregg
These are under the hood in the PDC, not under the dash.The fuse for the TCU is #3 in the PDC panel under the hood.
Also fuse #6 in the PDC is for the shift selector.
Oh and I think the fues holder by the TCU is for a power antenna if you have one.

Hummmm I don't seem to have that one. I did find that the one marked Heated rear window had foil around the base to try to make the blown fuse work. Mine are not numbered in the PDC but I have the owners manual and it sort of tells what is where and inside the PDC lid it shows whats what.
I show #6 as Ignition switch (engine controller, fuel pump, automatic transmission controller) if that was bad I don't think the motor would run. #12 is automatic transmission.
gregg

Last edited:
Maybe the 95 is different, but I show

#6 - ignition 15A
#12 - headlamp sys 40A
#3 - auto trans 10A(located just below #6)
#10 - heated rear wdw 40A

Does your 95 have a Power/Comfort switch?

Does it light up when set to power?

Last edited:
No Power/Comfort. Isn't that for the Fulltime 4 wheel drive. This has part time it says Command Trac. Is mine kind of unique?? I've only had it a couple of days so I don't know much about Cherokees yet. EarlyCJ5 was like that at first I asked a ton of questions, now I answer other peoples questions.

That switch changes the shift points for the TCU. At some point, they got rid of it, and permanently set it to 'power'.

Since the power for the light in the switch feeds of the same line as the TCU, I figure that would be a quit way to determine whether or not the TCU was getting power--providing the bulb hadn't burned out.

Lou said:
That switch changes the shift points for the TCU. At some point, they got rid of it, and permanently set it to 'power'.

Since the power for the light in the switch feeds off of the same line as the TCU, I figured that it would be a quick way to determine whether or not the TCU was getting power--providing that the bulb hadn't burned out.

Holy crap Louis! More letters, less beer .... next time!:rolleyes:

I don't drink but my drinking friends have told me there is no such thing as "to much beer" kind of like being "too rich or too skinny". :=}}
Anyway thanks for the feedback. I need to get a trouble code reader to determine the problem. A friend last night said a cheep one is available for $75 or so.
Right now I'm chasing power to the cig so I can hook up my XM Satelite radio.
gregg

Back