• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NV4500 in an XJ

vetteboy

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I searched, and didn't find anything...but please, if you have any links to buildup threads involving this install, let me know.

I've got a Dodge NV4500 from a '94 3500 CTD, 2WD dually. I got it for free, so as part of my impending build I'd like to use this in my XJ. I'll probably be bolting it to a flipped D300, so I know I have to get the new tailhousing and mainshaft, which will take care of the existing 2WD problem, and I know how to mate it to the 4.0 already (which will be a 4.6 in my XJ).

What I'm wondering is, I've heard people say that the tranny tunnel will need to be cut out, etc. I'm not opposed to doing this at all. I'd just like to see if anyone has done it, and if so, what kind of modification of the tunnel was required, and if it has been worth the hassle. The way I figure it, my passenger side floor pan is all ate up with rust anyway, so if I'm gonna be doing sheetmetal reconstruction it's not that big a deal to redo the tunnel. Compared to the other things involved in this build, that's minor.

I also have an SM465 and an NP435 available to me, but those both seem like the shifter is much further towards the bellhousing, which would make installation in something like an XJ very problematic.

TIA for whatever y'all can give me.

vetteboy said:
OK, I searched, and didn't find anything...but please, if you have any links to buildup threads involving this install, let me know.

I've got a Dodge NV4500 from a '94 3500 CTD, 2WD dually. I got it for free, so as part of my impending build I'd like to use this in my XJ. I'll probably be bolting it to a flipped D300, so I know I have to get the new tailhousing and mainshaft, which will take care of the existing 2WD problem, and I know how to mate it to the 4.0 already (which will be a 4.6 in my XJ).

What I'm wondering is, I've heard people say that the tranny tunnel will need to be cut out, etc. I'm not opposed to doing this at all. I'd just like to see if anyone has done it, and if so, what kind of modification of the tunnel was required, and if it has been worth the hassle. The way I figure it, my passenger side floor pan is all ate up with rust anyway, so if I'm gonna be doing sheetmetal reconstruction it's not that big a deal to redo the tunnel. Compared to the other things involved in this build, that's minor.

I also have an SM465 and an NP435 available to me, but those both seem like the shifter is much further towards the bellhousing, which would make installation in something like an XJ very problematic.

TIA for whatever y'all can give me.

I have had one in mine for 7 years. Dodge 23 spline output 4x4 unit, custom ratios, 6.34 first. Kept my old Peugot bellhousing, and the internal slave. You may be able to make the OEM crossmember work, but I used 5/8" plate for my firct iteration, 1.5" box for my second, and 2" for my third. The last two had to hold a suspension as well.

Here's the position with an uncut tunnel. Can't get a flat belly skid when it's down here, about 1.5" below frame rail.

picture.JPG

Here it is moved up for a flat belly:
picture.JPG

And how much needed to be cut to achieve the flat belly:
picture.JPG

Overall, its a fine tranny, but you lose a lot of acceleration with the wide gear ratios. The first gear is great, and the overdrive is deep, allowing the use of 5.13's with 35's, and a reasonable highway RPM (3,000 at 75mph).

CRASH

Last edited:
CRASH said:
I have had one in mine for 7 years. Dodge 23 spline output 4x4 unit, custom ratios, 6.34 first. Kept my old Peugot bellhousing, and the internal slave. You may be able to make the OEM crossmember work, but I used 5/8" plate for my firct iteration, 1.5" box for my second, and 2" for my third. The last two had to hold a suspension as well.

Thanks dude! Just what I was looking for.

I haven't had an OEM crossmember for a while now...so that's not an issue really.

Did you use the AA adapter plate between the bellhousing and trans? Stock internal slave? What clutch disc?

Sorry for all the questions, and I'm sure there will be more where that came from...

YEs, AA adaptor between the Pegot bell and the NV,

Stock (get a Chrysler part) internal slave.

Stock (Chrysler) clutch behind the stroker. Works like a champ.

Had to use AA's pilot bushing that presses into the crank and accepts the NV's pilot tip, which is different in the V-8 apps versus the v-10/diesels.

I also installed an NV4500 in my '88, behind a Chevy 350.
Like Crash, I had to cut the bejesus out of the hump to get the shaft center-line back to where the old Peugeot was.
Since the trans tunnel is a major support structure for the XJ, Advance Adapters does not recommend this install. Given that, I spent considerable time designing and fabricating tunnel reinforcement. The shifter is a tight fit at the dash, but with a little trimming, I was able to retain the stock console. Also had to heat and bend the shifter that came with the trans (all new from Advance Adapters).
I used AA's motor mounts to install the 350, which of course establishes where the engine is located. I was very happy to find my transfer case output yoke was within a 1/4 inch of the stock set up--no need to modify my custom Tom Woods drive shaft. But I think using an adapter plate to match your peugeot bell housing to the NV4500 will move every thing to the rear, necessitating a shorter drive shaft, but more dash clearance. If you haven't done so, I'd suggest getting the AA catalogue--gives lots of good info on NV4500 installs.

CRASH said:
Overall, its a fine tranny, but you lose a lot of acceleration with the wide gear ratios. The first gear is great, and the overdrive is deep, allowing the use of 5.13's with 35's, and a reasonable highway RPM (3,000 at 75mph).

CRASH

What are the gear ratios of your NV4500? I do (3K RPMS at 75-80 MPH) with 5.43 gears and 37" MTRs with my stock AW4. Just wondering. My speedometer and odometer aren't hooked up after my NP241 Rock Trak t-case swap, but my wife got next to me on the highway with the 98' ZJ and she was surprised at how fast I was going through LA (I got up to 90 or so). I do 65 at 2.5K RPM, 70 2.65 or so etc so I try to stay around 2.75K RPMS or so and no more than 3K on the highway.
The NV4500 is a fine tranny from what I hear, but it sucks that you have to modify the floor as much as you needed to to get the flat belly skid on your XJ.

Troy

.73 Od.

FYI, in the greater scheme of building a rig from a bare chassis, I consider this minor modification:

picture.JPG

xjbubba said:
But I think using an adapter plate to match your peugeot bell housing to the NV4500 will move every thing to the rear, necessitating a shorter drive shaft, but more dash clearance.

FYI, the adaptor plate is only 1/2" thick.

CRASH said:
FYI, in the greater scheme of building a rig from a bare chassis, I consider this minor modification:

picture.JPG

Yeah, it's definately liveable in a trail rig. Do you have any pics with your seats and the rest of your interior in your Jeep? Is you shifter right at your side and/or slightly behind you? It looks like it is in the picture. How longer of a tranny is the NV4500 over the BA10? What t-case are you running?

Andy your rig is an inspiration to us all. :)

Big Red said:
Yeah, it's definately liveable in a trail rig. Do you have any pics with your seats and the rest of your interior in your Jeep? Is you shifter right at your side and/or slightly behind you? It looks like it is in the picture. How longer of a tranny is the NV4500 over the BA10? What t-case are you running?

Andy your rig is an inspiration to us all. :)

I think you misunderstand, that cut was not left unfinished. It was reinforced with channel sections, tied to the upper suspension link, then closed with a fabricated cover/reinforcement made up of 13 pieces of .120 wall. That section is removable to allow access to the shifter.

I suggest you look elsewhere for inspiration, my rig is a pile.

Back