• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problem with the front axle...

Jeffro600

NAXJA Forum User
Finished up with my RE 4.5 lift and corrected the Death Wobble issues i had( a SERIOUS toe in problem) and now im having a problem with the 4WD. Heres the problem...ive got a lockright in the front and its ratcheting when going in a straight line while in 4WD. You drive along in 2WD, no noise as usual...pop it in 4WD and the ratcheting comes on STRONG and increaces with speed...even when going in a straight line while under power. When you put it back into 2WD, the ratcheting continues and wont stop unless you make a HARD left turn....wont stop with a hard right. Im thinking its a problem with one of the hubs not disengaging or engaging when put into 4WD....anyone else got any idears??? This is for a 93 Cherokee...AX-15 NP231.

Mind you, this all worked fine before the lift...

There are NO DISENGAUGING HUBS on XJs there were vacum disconecect axles on some of the earlier XJs but Jeep dropped that idea. Xj's use a unit hub design its not like a hub on a D44 (unless it is a dodge solid axle pick-up they used unit hubs also) on a bronco or something like that the axle shaft is always engauged by the hub so it always spins. My guess would be worn out/broken teeth on the lockright. I would pull the diff cover and check it out to make sure its not about to grenade.

Jeffro600 said:
Finished up with my RE 4.5 lift and corrected the Death Wobble issues i had( a SERIOUS toe in problem) and now im having a problem with the 4WD. Heres the problem...ive got a lockright in the front and its ratcheting when going in a straight line while in 4WD. You drive along in 2WD, no noise as usual...pop it in 4WD and the ratcheting comes on STRONG and increaces with speed...even when going in a straight line while under power. When you put it back into 2WD, the ratcheting continues and wont stop unless you make a HARD left turn....wont stop with a hard right. Im thinking its a problem with one of the hubs not disengaging or engaging when put into 4WD....anyone else got any idears??? This is for a 93 Cherokee...AX-15 NP231.

Mind you, this all worked fine before the lift...

Do you have a vacume disco housing, and are the lines broken/disconnected? I cant think of a reason that should actually make a difference, but it takes 15 seconds to check, and its not unlikely those lines were unplugged while doing the lift. Other than that, pull the diff cover and inspect the lock rite...

Ok then...heres another question for ya...if the hubs dont disengage and nothing disconnects, how come i CANT hear the locker ratchet normally in 2WD, but can hear it plain as day in 4WD???

Once again I think the teeth are worn out. Pull the diff cover and check either that or the springs are worn out. Either way you should pull the cover and check it out before it turns into a much bigger problem I think it is a problem with the lockright itself. Either that or you broke an axle shaft and didn't realize it which I would hope you would be able to notice something like that.

jeepxj89 said:
maybe it has somthing to do with power being applied to the front driveshaft when your in 4wd, and non when being in 2......

That is how autolockers work. WHen torque is applied they lock when there is no torque being applied then they unlock and allow the diffrentiation (SP?)

Back