• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

strange engine oil drain plug

91Limited

NAXJA Forum User
well i unscrewed it and nothing happens

i tryed to unscrew the rubber part but it doesnt seem like its threaded

do you think i should just try to pull the rubber part out?

That looks like the previous plug may have stripped out the original threads. When you drain the oil check out the threads and see what they look like.

chris

91Limited said:
i was just changing my oil on my 91 cherokee limited. The drain plug is this strange wing nut with a sort of rubber washer. I cant figure out how to take it out and dont want to force it out or strip it. Theres probably some easy solution that i am missing. any help?
thanks

heres some pictures of it...

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a242/The_Jeeping_Clan/100_1659.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a242/The_Jeeping_Clan/100_1657.jpg

Thats an expansion plug used as a patch after stripped threads. Screwing the nut in should tighten up the bolt (with a washer on the other end) and cause the rubber to expand, sealing the hole. You should be able to unscrew it, and then pull the rubber out. If its been on there a while, the rubber is gonna be pretty formed to the hole, and may give you a hard time.

I'd force it out, pull the pan, and have a new bung for a proper drain plug welded into the pan. It shouldnt cost you more than a few dollars.

-C

unscrew the wing nut then use a pair of pliers on the stud. push and pull- does it give in either direction?

how about a screwdriver trying to pry under what looks like a washer?

never seen a plug like that. hope you can get it out. If you have to destroy it, get a standard plug (unless everything is all stripped)

Two options, pull the pan and have a new bung put on or get and oversized drain plug for fixing stripped threads, it cuts new ones as it goes in.
Another option would be to get one of the Fram quick drain ones that replace the bolt and just push and turn when you want to drain it.

well i got it off by yanking on it and it popped right off, but i screwed it up trying to put it back on. the threads dont look that bad so ill try a regular one on it and see if it holds up otherwise ill get an oversized one that cuts new threads.

thanks for all the help

The *@#$#@ mechanics at Jiffy Lube put one of those in my elderly neighbors car... I started doing MX on her car for her and removed the crappy cork and replaced it with a single oversized plug with no problems

Unscrew the wing nut, and gently tap the stud with a lightweight hammer. That's a fairly standard (and half-assed) repair for a stripped hole, and they tend to get a little sticky after a while.

The OEM plug is threaded 12m/m, but the bung in the pan is fairly large. Go ahead and retap it to take a 1/2" or 14m/m plug, and you should be alright.

I've nothing against oversize plugs, but you're likely to forget that little factoid, and that can be a problem if/when you get another XJ... (I'm up to four and counting.)

5-90

Stripping the oil pan is inexcusable anyway. How do you bugger up a hole that has oil on if you thread it in BY HAND then torque it. Same goes for spark plug and pretty much any other bolts. Good for you for fixing Jiffly Lubes mistakes. BTW 5-90 how can you afford/find a place to store all those XJs.

bajacalal said:
Stripping the oil pan is inexcusable anyway. How do you bugger up a hole that has oil on if you thread it in BY HAND then torque it. Same goes for spark plug and pretty much any other bolts. Good for you for fixing Jiffly Lubes mistakes. BTW 5-90 how can you afford/find a place to store all those XJs.

Your question was answered above: Go to Jiffy Lube. They'll fix you right up. Same thing happened to me when my Jeep had only 20k on it. Never been back. Cheap prices = low overhead = low salaries = inexperienced high school kids working on your car

yardape said:
Your question was answered above: Go to Jiffy Lube. They'll fix you right up. Same thing happened to me when my Jeep had only 20k on it. Never been back. Cheap prices = low overhead = low salaries = inexperienced high school kids working on your car

Got one even better than Jiffy Lube...how about the dealership! My wife's car is under a 10/100 warranty (I don't lay a finger on it lest the warranty get voided), so she takes it back there for all the scheduled service. Last time in for an oil change, whoever did it overtorqued the drain plug and CRACKED the (aluminum) oil pan......found little drips of oil in the driveway under her car the next day :mad: . They tried the song and dance, but after some "persuasion", they ended up overnighting a new pan from Abu-Dahbi or somewhere and replacing it the next day, along with a rental car for her to drive on thier dime.
Car only has 40K miles on it...but now has a brand new oil pan
Jeff

Even better, a friend's mom went to *Iffy Lube for an oil change. The indivdual left the oil drain loose. Eldery lady did not hear the engnie begging for mercy from lack of oil. Fried the engine on the way home. It took a threat of a lawyer to get them to correct the damages. Sadly, my mom still goes to those places. Good for the enviroment she says. Let me do it and use the old oil in my waste oil heater.

chris

just tell her that any of the chain stores will take used oil. I dropped off about 14 qts of used tranny, engine and diff oil at the local advance the other day.

5-90 said:
I've nothing against oversize plugs, but you're likely to forget that little factoid, and that can be a problem if/when you get another XJ... (I'm up to four and counting.)

5-90

What kinda problem? Having to slide back out from under the XJ for a trip to the toolbox for another wrench? I do that all the time anyway!! :roll:

yardape said:

Don't worry... they train them. Train them to steal!

My XJ made a midwinter trip to a JiffyLube when it was a young pup (12k on the clock). I had no oil problems (other than the $4 charge for one extra quart of oil over the 5-qt limit)... but they came out and showed me how filthy my air cleaner was. I said "thanks. Put it back in, and I'll change it when I get a chance". I did change it that week. At 24k, it was still as white as a ghost.

In fact, now, at 60k miles, my air cleaner is STILL not even HALF as dirty as the one they showed me... with 48k miles on it.

NEVER let strangers work on your Jeep!

Den

Back