• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

If You Have Ever Thought About Pulling Your Carpet

BRIANHO13

<- Yum Chocolate
Go ahead and get it over with. Pulled mine today and found a small hole in the floorpan on the passenger side(rust through). I have never had a puddle in there just the ocassional splash. its only a 98.

While some of you may say duh, this is just meant to be a helpful wakeup call.

I just installed my cage in the 88 a few weeks ago and found some added surprises under the carpets. Im waiting until next year and im going to pull the carpet and sand the entire floor and rhino line it and maybe use some rubber mats. I knoe it will be a little noisier inside but i just cant justify putting the carpet back other than its the original and still in good shape. If i had known sooner i would not have a rusted out floor

Yeah i have thought of doing it.. probably will someday if i ever get any water in the cab!

Changed my entire interior a couple weeks ago, the whole rear floor was wet under the carpet, and i had puddles on each side in a weird little compartment behind the rear wheel wells under the carpet. Dryed it out and sprayed the whole rear floor with bedliner.

my whole rear cargo area is carpet-free and rhinolined. i also installed some drainplugs, and i think it was an incredibly good idea cuz i can now hose it out towards the back where the drainplugs are. kinda tricky to keep other stuff dry, but at least it dries fast when i throw a bunch of wet scuba crap back there and doesn't have stinky carpet smell anymore for a week after i go diving.

rangerjoe2001 said:
Yeah i have thought of doing it.. probably will someday if i ever get any water in the cab!

That's rarely where the water comes from. Usually it's a leak in the firewall, A/C, glass, or even from beneath through gaps in the sheetmetal. The rubberized carpet keeps the water underneath and, well, the red cancer takes over.
Jeep on!
--Pete

I find it odd that you live in KY and have rust through on a 98!! My XJ has spent its entire life in wyoming....where the winters are pretty harsh and the roads are even worse...mines a 93 and it doesnt have a spec of rust on the floorboards...inside or out. I did have to patch a hole that was punched in it by debris in the road. Id fix your rust spots and maybe consider getting the whole underside undercoated??

Jeffro600 said:
I find it odd that you live in KY and have rust through on a 98!! My XJ has spent its entire life in wyoming....where the winters are pretty harsh and the roads are even worse...mines a 93 and it doesnt have a spec of rust on the floorboards...inside or out. I did have to patch a hole that was punched in it by debris in the road. Id fix your rust spots and maybe consider getting the whole underside undercoated??

It may be only a 98 but I don't know where it started life (bought it used, nothing bad on the carfax).

Yea I was shocked too, its only a real small hole through, above the exhaust (heat is a good catalyst). I will por 15 all the rust and patch the hole and "rhino line". Its only on the pass floorboard, the rest of the floors are perfect.

Pete M said:
That's rarely where the water comes from. Usually it's a leak in the firewall, A/C, glass, or even from beneath through gaps in the sheetmetal. The rubberized carpet keeps the water underneath and, well, the red cancer takes over.
Jeep on!
--Pete

I recently took my carpet out and Heculined the floor boards in the old MJ. I haven't quite figured out where it is coming from but i have a leak when it rains steadily. I know its not the doors or the sunroof. The leak isn't that bad, but I now know why i had to replace the entire foot area on the driver's side. ( Not to mention all the water and salt the carpets absorbed every winter)

ok, i guess i will do this this weekend. Where can you pick up herculiner at a good price and how much will i need to do the inside, and the botoms of my doors with? Also any special tricks on the prep? What all do you have to remove to pull the carpet, just seats and consols or what?

You will most likely have to pull the plastic trim from around the doors also, since there are screw holding the plastic, and they sometimes go thru the carpet where it is tucked under the trim. Oh, and keep some penetrating oil handy, for the seat bolts.
As for the 'liner, just about any parts house or Wallyworld should have it. I think it is about $75 now ( used to be about $100) for a gallon. just make sure that you CLEAN everything off of the floor area, and a wipe down with some toulene, or naptha, would help to make sure the floor is chemically clean. A little bit of scratch sanding doesn't hurt, either.

Last edited:
ren said:
You will most likely have to pull the plastic trim from around the doors also, since there are screw holding the plastic, and they sometimes go thru the carpet where it is tucked under the trim. Oh, and keep some penetrating oil handy, for the seat bolts.
As for the 'liner, just about any parts house or Wallyworld should have it. I think it is about $75 now ( used to be about $100) for a gallon. just make sure that you CLEAN everything off of the floor area, and a wipe down with some toulene, or naptha, would help to make sure the floor is chemically clean. A little bit of scratch sanding doesn't hurt, either.

I didn't have to loosen any of the trim, carpet came right out, seats came out pretty easy on mine. As for the "rhinoline / hurculine" I got the autozone version $15/qt.

What about replacement carpet? I have been thinking about doing this for awhile, because I can see places underneath that have rusted through, so I am assuming that when I pull it, it would need replacing. I have thought about going without carpet, but I'm not ready to do it yet. So where do I get replacement carpet? Dealer? Thanks in advance.

I got my carpet out today since I found a hole underneath while doing tcase work. Mine is a 96. I have holes following the exhaust on the passenger side and holes above the "frame rails" on both sides as well as the drivers area where your heals hit the floor while driving. Looks like I will have a long weekend.

BA

I pulled my carpet out also.I was lucky and had no rust.But I did have water problems.Water will get into the rockers, thought the rear fenders if the are cut and trought the drain holes along the rocker.On my drivers side there are som holes in the body along the plasic trim going along the floor.The water would get into the rocker and then as I hit the brakes it would run right in...

i got one big giant matt in my i unno how comon this is coz ive never seen a matt b4 outher then in mine but i got a leek and when ir rains the watter just sits there in a pool im pulling the matt out tomorw but i think the matt is the way to go

Back