• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which donor leaf springs to use?

cykaaro

NAXJA Forum User
I've been seeing many posts that the best donor leafs are either an S-10 or Dakota's.
I'm not right now looking at adding an SYE at all, as it's not in my budget, but want to lift it a couple inches so I end up about 3.5-4" over stock [so I can keep my present shocks as well for now] I've got ZJ coil springs that have net me 2" over stock, so looking as well at adding a 1.5" spacer to level it out.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of each donor pack to what I require right now?

THanks!

cykaaro said:
I've been seeing many posts that the best donor leafs are either an S-10 or Dakota's.
I'm not right now looking at adding an SYE at all, as it's not in my budget, but want to lift it a couple inches so I end up about 3.5-4" over stock [so I can keep my present shocks as well for now] I've got ZJ coil springs that have net me 2" over stock, so looking as well at adding a 1.5" spacer to level it out.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of each donor pack to what I require right now?

THanks!

at 4" over stock.. you need new shocks. ;)

I had good luck with the front leaf springs off an old jeep wagoneer. They were cheaper, for one, because was in an "old car" pull-n-save yard. The front axle on the wagoneer was a sprung under axle, so the leafs had good arch, and are of good length to make a nice, clean pack with the xj leaves. It was also a 7-leaf pack, so it holds all my gear in the back without sinking much, and it still flexes really nice.

I used the main leaf from my old pack, and the five smallest leaves from the wagoneer pack. Got about 3.75 iches of lift, and only lost about .25 of an inch with all of my gear loaded in the back.

Goatman helped me alot when I was doing this project, do a search under his name for leaf packs and you'll find a lot of information.

Thanks.

Trying to search and see what's my best options right now. No $$ for new shocks right now so limited to what I have. I was originally -2" from stock. I did the XJ donor upgrade which originally netted me 3" but then settled down to approx 1-1.5" over stock. I'd like to get it at the very least to stay at 3" above stock. I'll just have to add spacers to level out the front, and have a line on a pair of those. As for brake lines, they're already a lot longer than needs be, so no worries about that being an issue.
I can get the ful spring packs from either a dakota or S-10 for $25 ea. Will be a bitch to pull, but a hell of a lot cheaper that way.

The s-10 springs work well. I used the entire pack below the main leaf and added to the XJ main leaf. Gave me 4 inches of lift or so. There are 2 different leaf packs on s-10s. There is a 4 or 5 leaf pack. Get the 5 leaf pack if possible and make sure it is an 84 to 93. Don't use the 94 and up because those leaf packs suck. They settle worse than XJ stock springs.

BA

I presently have fullsize chevrolet springs under my XJ. Those springs alone gave me close to 4" lift. I added 2 more leafs, and some 2 inch blocks to get the desired 7-8" lift I needed. Blocks suck, but $$ doesnt grow on trees. I used F150 shocks in the rear, bolted right up...

I have not used S-10 or dakota springs because when I measured them, they werent much bigger than the stock XJ springs. The only difference is that the S-10 is sprung under, so the poster above was right about the arch...

In my opinion, it is cheaper to get a set of full size springs. I put a set of 6" lift springs from a K2500 under my XJ and it was WAY too much lift, not even possible to hook up the drive shaft without it being totally disconnected from the t-case. (damn 242's!). However a 4" spring would possibly achieve 6-8" with factory shackles...

The full size springs flexed very well and didnt sag much at all even with a full load of gear...With the blocks it rides like a hay wagon though...

Just my 2 cents...I still have those 6" springs if you want em...Just wont work with a 242 T-case (without a hack n tap)...231 with a SYE and longer dshaft...maybe...

Anybody else tried 4" springs?

cykaaro said:

THanks!
I'm not trying to be an ass here, but from the looks of it, you just aren't ready to go up yet. If you want to run 3.5 to 4" over stock you will need new shocks, adjusted bumpstops and probably longer brake lines (I know you said they are already long enough, but have you changed the e-brake cables yet?) As well, you're going to want to look into longer lower control arms and an adjustable trac bar. If you have a 96 or newer XJ, count on an SYE in the near future, and a t-case drop right now, otherwise you will be facing lots of parts-wearing vibration. My 2 cents is to wait, save your pennies and do it right. These are not just general recommendations, but are specific and necessary based on my own and many others' experience.

In regards to the springs, any 2.5" wide spring pack will do, you'll just have to mix and match and play with it to get the perfect height dialed in.

Thanks for the input. Really appreciated.

My goal right now is to get it a bit higher for now. [2-3" I'd be happy with] without having to worry about an SYE or such, and get used to running it like that. I've been told that doing it in stages is best. I'd perfer not to dal with replacing shocks for now, but if it must be done, it must be done.
From there I plan to save enough to get a proper RE lift done on it. This is just an interim thing I'm doing right now to maximize what I can for the immediate. I can't see being able to get that done for at least a year, maybe a bit longer.

Back