• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help please, 231 won't come out of 2 wheel drive.

JEONLYEP

NAXJA Forum User
Here's the deal. The last time I was out wheelin' I had a hard time getting the Jeep to come out of 2 wheel drive. After some pulling and giggling around of the lever it moved and worked okay untill put back into 2wd. Then it was the same thing again. Moves fine from 4 hi to low, and goes back into 2wd without problems. Now today I was out messing around and wanted 4wd, and I can't get it to move at all.

I know basic mechs and have a good idea about motors, but have never had to deal with working on a t-case before. What do I need to check first?

Thanks

DAryl

91 sport 4.0, auto, NP231 with a 1" t-case drop.

JEONLYEP said:
Here's the deal. The last time I was out wheelin' I had a hard time getting the Jeep to come out of 2 wheel drive. After some pulling and giggling around of the lever it moved and worked okay untill put back into 2wd. Then it was the same thing again. Moves fine from 4 hi to low, and goes back into 2wd without problems. Now today I was out messing around and wanted 4wd, and I can't get it to move at all.

I know basic mechs and have a good idea about motors, but have never had to deal with working on a t-case before. What do I need to check first?

Thanks

DAryl

91 sport 4.0, auto, NP231 with a 1" t-case drop.
The fluid level

probably the 1" TC drop messing you over...

oh - and sometimes if you are rolling about 1-2 mph it shifts smoother...

Back