• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

removing transfer case seal? [pic]

fatwreck

NAXJA Forum User
The front output seal on my 231 tcase has been leaking lately. I picked up a new one and I finally got around to replacing it. The problem is that I can't seem to get the old one out.

IMG_6781.jpg

I trashed the rubber seal part of it so far....but I can't seem to get the metal ring out.

Do you have any suggestions WITHOUT pulling the front half the tcase off? I really don't want to do that unless I ABSOLUTELY have to.

If I had access to it like a pinion seal, then it would be no problem....but my access is limited because of the belly pan I have.

I'm thinking slide hammer or some sort of seal puller. Suggestions?

Thanks.

get a screw driver under the lip around the outside and keep working all the way around if you can, prying it up. once you have a good spot opened up do the same thing but push the flange in towards the shaft. if you can get a spot opened up enough to grab it with plier's just twist it so it pull's itself off the inner wall and it should come right out.

jeannies_driver said:
get a screw driver under the lip around the outside and keep working all the way around if you can, prying it up. once you have a good spot opened up do the same thing but push the flange in towards the shaft. if you can get a spot opened up enough to grab it with plier's just twist it so it pull's itself off the inner wall and it should come right out.

Like I said, if I had access to it like a pinion seal, then it would be great....I could do just that. But it's about 12" inside the belly pan. So, I can only sort of get at it with a medium sized pry bar.

I think I found access to it from the bottom in one of the holes in the belly pan. I'll have to try that later tonight. You know how sometimes you just need to step away from a project for a couple of hours and rethink it....I think that's where I'm at.

But you can see how far back it is here:

IMG_6782.jpg

A good seal puller is your best friend... Shouldn't be hard if ya have enough room in there against that uber beefy skid...

Will.

Back