• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3 link vs radius arms

VegasAnthony

NAXJA Forum User
lurking over at Pirate and I see alot of folks doin 3 link's
Imwondering why a 3 link is so much better than a radius arms set up.
Iwould think that the joints limit atrticulation , not the style of suspension.
or is this mostly a d44 thing..I pretty sure I havent seen one on a D30

just curious

BrettM said:
3 links (w/ panhard) give much more control over anti-dive characteristics and will bind less than radius arms. the advantage of radius arms is simplicity.

Ok but how does it bind less??

I would think that the binding would be dependent on what kind of links are used at the end of the lower arms
as in RE joints VS heims
like in this pic
sure the joint on top of the diff lets the axle articulate as much as the arms will allow at the "frame end"

but cant the same be said for radius arms?

xj0378.sized.jpg

oh and can ya define anti dive for me ?

the binding comes in the axle tubes wanting to twist.in a radius arm set up the arms are fighting each other.in a 3 link the axle is allowed to rotate on onside so to speak.

there are ways of fighting this in using a raduis arm set up.if you were to sleeve the short drivers side tube with another tube and placed the arm on the sleeve it would allow the axle to do the same thing and rotate inside the tube on one side.

Radius arms have only the frame end spherical joint (heim, johnie, or RE) moving with the axle end fixed.
With a 3 link you can have sphericals on both ends of the control arms, essentially doubling the ability to twist.

Wil Badger said:
the binding comes in the axle tubes wanting to twist.in a radius arm set up the arms are fighting each other.in a 3 link the axle is allowed to rotate on onside so to speak.

there are ways of fighting this in using a raduis arm set up.if you were to sleeve the short drivers side tube with another tube and placed the arm on the sleeve it would allow the axle to do the same thing and rotate inside the tube on one side.

http://bcbroncos.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=24_61&products_id=527

I thought about a 3 link, then decided to keep the 4 link, only i raised the axle mounts ~2.5" in the process so i could keep my short arms ground clearance...

Dirk Pitt said:
Did you raise the uppers too?

How's it drive?

yup uppers are also 2.5" higher

drives fine, need to work out a small steering bug, but other than that - all is well.

see you in Attica on the 10th?

Jes said:
Why are those lower links bent like that?

Isn't that Matt/WanderingWillys???

I run a 3 link with a track bar on a D30 with longer dropped CAs for the reasons BrettM mentioned above, another plus is that it drives and feels more like stock on the road and trail but with a nice ride and excellent flex.

Try ti run a radius arm setup on a D60 and flex it up to the limits. One of your links will rip off the axle, been there, done that. :wave:

but that arm was designed with a dana 30 in mind

Ramsey said:
but that arm was designed with a dana 30 in mind

oh - this argument again...

typically when you're talking about an XJ with a 3-link front, that means 3 basically parallel links and a panhard bar, since there are very, very few people running full-hydro on XJs. That picture is a wishbone, triangulated 3 link. If you're going to have a steering box and draglink, the best suspension you can run is a 3 link with panhard, the URF version is superb, search for that.

Back