• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine swap AMC 360 or chevy 350

cherokeeproject

NAXJA Forum User
ive been considering an engine swap for my 87 cherokee pioneer and im not sure weather or not to go with the AMC 360/5.9 or the chevy 350/5.7. i currently have a 4.0 which has over 200,000 miles on it and im afraid will die some time soon. the engine doesnt quite have the power that im wanting either. ive been considering a AMC 360/5.9 or a chevy 350/5.7 ive been intending on using the 350 for the swap but recently ive been considering the AMC 360. but i dont want a carburated engine for the carb may be too tall to fit and i also intend on installing a snorkle but will it still all work? another question i have is that ive read the 360 runs very hot and i dont want to run the risk of cracking my engine block if i was to hit some cold water while im off roading. i plan to do an axel swap as well, from the dana 35 to a front and rear dana 60 with 4wheel disc brakes to handle the added power. another thing is that ive been reading mixed things on the installation of the chevy 350 do i need to cut the walls of my wheel wells? will the engine bolt right in or will i have to cut and weld? and how about the tranny, new one? rebuild? is it even compatable? is there a site or a person out there who's done such a swap? if so please let me know
another consern of mine is the price i can get a rebuilt chevy 350 for pretty cheap but how much will it cost me in added parts? or would the 360 be a cheaper alternative? i would like to keep my origionall drivetrain just upgrade to stronger parts. if anyone has any information or insite to any of my problems/ quetions please feel free to email me at [email protected] thanx in advance

do a search on "stroker" far cheaper with the same results as a v8

a 302 is tight in one i wanna see a 350 or 360 in one, not saying it hasn't and can't be done.

cherokeeproject said:
i considered the stroker but wont it weaken my engine block and make it run hotter?
no theres plenty of guys here that are running strokeres with no problems, but eveyone here that has done the v8 convertion are running in to overheating issues.

robz95xj said:
no theres plenty of guys here that are running strokeres with no problems, but eveyone here that has done the v8 convertion are running in to overheating issues.
whats the largest stroker kit out there? i think ive read on a 4.9 kit if im not mistaken?

robz95xj said:

Not true. I'm running a 401 with a new cheapy stock replacement 92 4.0 radiator with two electric fans, in traffic in 100 degree weather. Stays at 210, 180 cruising above 20.

ok guys thinks for the advice but ive made my decision. ive decided to go with the stroker kit. it saves me the trouble of having to mate the chevy output to my jeep drivetrain thus saving me alot of $$. but i cant decide what kit i want to go with. any suggestions? ive already decided its got to be either 4.6 or bigger
thanx in advance

cherokeeproject said:
whats the largest stroker kit out there? i think ive read on a 4.9 kit if im not mistaken?

jakes had a 5.0 kit for the 4.0, though I hear they went under......so I guess this is a pointless reply.....oh well :wierd:

cherokeeproject said:
ok guys thinks for the advice but ive made my decision. ive decided to go with the stroker kit. it saves me the trouble of having to mate the chevy output to my jeep drivetrain thus saving me alot of $$. but i cant decide what kit i want to go with. any suggestions? ive already decided its got to be either 4.6 or bigger
thanx in advance

going with a kit or long block? here is a good site and best priced from what I've found for a long block 4.6
http://www.golenengineservice.com/html/jeep_off-road.html

Also, I was looking at the prices of the stroker kits, and well since accuratepower and jakes went under the only I know of is hesco and for $2200.00 for the kit....If I had the extra money I'd much rather get the long block, in the long run it'll save you time and money (if you are having a shop do the work) plus you'll be getting a new head and block all put together for you

Last edited:
cherokeeproject said:
thanx in advance

I built my 4.6 stroker out of parts that I cherry-picked from various places. It's HP/TQ outputs all but match those of a Vortec 350 SBC and my Jeep really hauls ass. Copy mine and you can't go wrong.

265hp@4900/325lbft@3500, 1/4 mile = [email protected], 0-60 = 5.5secs :D
Websites - Jeep 4.0 Performance, 4.6L Stroker Build-Up, Dino's Jeep Tricks

cherokeeproject said:
ive been considering an engine swap for my 87 cherokee pioneer and im not sure weather or not to go with the AMC 360/5.9 or the chevy 350/5.7. i currently have a 4.0 which has over 200,000 miles on it and im afraid will die some time soon. the engine doesnt quite have the power that im wanting either. ive been considering a AMC 360/5.9 or a chevy 350/5.7 ive been intending on using the 350 for the swap but recently ive been considering the AMC 360. but i dont want a carburated engine for the carb may be too tall to fit and i also intend on installing a snorkle but will it still all work? another question i have is that ive read the 360 runs very hot and i dont want to run the risk of cracking my engine block if i was to hit some cold water while im off roading. i plan to do an axel swap as well, from the dana 35 to a front and rear dana 60 with 4wheel disc brakes to handle the added power. another thing is that ive been reading mixed things on the installation of the chevy 350 do i need to cut the walls of my wheel wells? will the engine bolt right in or will i have to cut and weld? and how about the tranny, new one? rebuild? is it even compatable? is there a site or a person out there who's done such a swap? if so please let me know
another consern of mine is the price i can get a rebuilt chevy 350 for pretty cheap but how much will it cost me in added parts? or would the 360 be a cheaper alternative? i would like to keep my origionall drivetrain just upgrade to stronger parts. if anyone has any information or insite to any of my problems/ quetions please feel free to email me at [email protected] thanx in advance

feel free to use the Enter button at any time...

cherokeeproject said:
whats so speciall about the long block? is it any different from the regular 4.0, just with a stroker kit?

It's just been professionaly inspected and assembled for you. Also with some companies comes with a warrenty.

JJacobs said:
Not true. I'm running a 401 with a new cheapy stock replacement 92 4.0 radiator with two electric fans, in traffic in 100 degree weather. Stays at 210, 180 cruising above 20.
Ok let me rephase it, all the guys runnin rats are havin overheatin problems.

I myself went the Golen route and am pleased with the results. I've put about 500 miles on it so far so it is still far from broken in.

I ended up relacing almost everything while I was at it. New radiator, New pressure bottle, new hoses, new harmonic balancer, new belts, new alternator, new injectors, new header, new catalytic, new... well, you get the picture.

Planning and budgeting is key in a project like this.

I made a wish list with prices and then start setting priorities and removing non-necessary items.

Good luck!

Matthew

Back