NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old June 30th, 2005, 13:54
NAXJA Member

All lights flashing very very bright!!

I have an 85 wagoneer with a 2.5 engine, 904 tranny, and 229 tranfer case. I think that I have a serious electrical problem. When my jeep is running and I rev up the engine all the lights get extremely bright and flicker even brighter. I don't know much about electrical so I will try my best to answer any questions. I have not been on a trail ride with it since Memorial weekend when it went on the trailer due to rear axle damage. That weekend on the final day of wheeling I was having problems with my headlights, they would not come on at all neither on brights or normal. My running lights would come on but no headlights. A friend was messing with a wire in the engine compartment and my brights came on so we went for a trail ride to find my back axle was damaged so we went back to camp then home the next day. That friend can't make it to my house to show me which wire and I can't find it. Is there anyone out there who could help me with this problem. Any help is great. Thanks.

Kim.
Old June 30th, 2005, 14:01
NAXJA Forum User

Re: All lights flashing very very bright!!

Sounds like the voltage regulator built into the alternator is going out. Fix it quick, 12V electrics don't like 18-19V.
Old June 30th, 2005, 14:08
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJacobs
Sounds like the voltage regulator built into the alternator is going out. Fix it quick, 12V electrics don't like 18-19V.
When I rev up the engine and the lights go bright they don't gradually get bright then get extremely bright instantly and my voltage meter stays just above 13V just like it always has. How do I fix the voltage regularor if it is built into the alternator? I have replaced a few alternators before but have never had to deal with the electric.

Kim.
Old July 1st, 2005, 06:17
NAXJA Member

Can anyone tell me where the voltage regulator is? I cannot find it. Electrical is new to me.

Kim.
Old July 1st, 2005, 07:02
NAXJA Forum User

I´m pretty sure you have a Delco alternator, V belt type. The regulator is mounted inside the case in the back, white odd shaped.
There is a test hole in the back of the early Delco, you can gently stick a screwdriver in the hole and then allow it to touch the case, this bypasses the regulator and gives you full unregulated voltage. Only do this for a moment with the engine running and have somebody watch the volt gauge. It should jump up to near the red, pretty quick.
Find somebody with a volt gauge and check voltage at the battery terminals. Like mentioned before, a runaway alternator, will/can cause serious troubles, burning out all the light bulbs, being the least of them.
If you have the Ford alternator, the regulater is mounted on the firewall, on some Jeeps.
A short that doesn´t blow a fuse, will sometimes cause a regulator to over charge the system, trying to compensate for the voltage lost through the short. Feeling the wiring for heat, is often a tipoff there is a short someplace.
Old July 1st, 2005, 07:38
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mud
I´m pretty sure you have a Delco alternator, V belt type. The regulator is mounted inside the case in the back, white odd shaped.
There is a test hole in the back of the early Delco, you can gently stick a screwdriver in the hole and then allow it to touch the case, this bypasses the regulator and gives you full unregulated voltage. Only do this for a moment with the engine running and have somebody watch the volt gauge. It should jump up to near the red, pretty quick.
Find somebody with a volt gauge and check voltage at the battery terminals. Like mentioned before, a runaway alternator, will/can cause serious troubles, burning out all the light bulbs, being the least of them.
If you have the Ford alternator, the regulater is mounted on the firewall, on some Jeeps.
A short that doesn´t blow a fuse, will sometimes cause a regulator to over charge the system, trying to compensate for the voltage lost through the short. Feeling the wiring for heat, is often a tipoff there is a short someplace.
Thank for the help 8Mud!. This is all new to me so any help is awesome. My alternator is a replacement from Napa and is called a rayloc replacement alternator. It is under a two year warranty still. The alternator came with the v-pulley but had to switch the pulleys around since my 2.5 runs a serpentine belt. I don't have anybody around for a few days to help me test the alternator or have a tester for me to use. If it is the built in voltage regulator can I replace the alternator under warranty even with it not in the best shape having some mud on it? Never had to replace an alternator under warranty before. Any other suggestions or help is appreciated.

Kim.
Old August 9th, 2005, 10:36
NAXJA Member

Ok everyone. I got my alternator off and the clay also had its way with that too so I will be replacing the alternator all together. I was looking at Advance Auto Parts web site and they have an alternator that is rated at 94 amps instead of 78. The part number is listed as A7194612. The part is from Autolite Pro. Is this upgrade worth $100.00 or not? I was thinking Mean Green but they want almost $400.00 for one. Will 94 amps be enough to run a winch plus a few accessories with a red top Optima?
I will be getting a winch soon enough and will be upgrading the wiring and battery for it. I don't know how to link the page I would like to show with the part on it so I apologize for that. Thanks for the help.

Kim.
Old August 9th, 2005, 11:38
NAXJA Forum User

When troubleshooting electrical issues like this, DO NOT rely on the gage in the dash panel - it's usually wrong.

ALWAYS use a good voltmeter or multimeter, and check alternator output at either the positive battery post or alternator output post. It's best to put the other terminal on a sheetmetal ground or the engine block - since that's where the alternator's grounded anyhow.

Anything up to about 15VDC is fine - more than that, and you're going to let the "magic blue smoke" out of something.

The regulator on the Delco is built into the back of the alternator case (it's where the little plug with several wires goes,) and Delco alternators are pretty cheap - unless you really want the practise, just go get one with a higher output rating and install that instead. Take the old one back to get your "core deposit" - kinda like the old deposit on longneck soda bottles.

For pricing, see if there's a local shop that does rewinds (that's what I do,) since you can score deals like, say, 150A for $75... AND get a part that's going to be done well, since you'll be dealing with the guy that does the rebuilding his very self. You just get all new parts in an old case (and, since the case doesn't wear out, you're getting an effectively new alternator for a used price. Rotor, field coils, bearings, brushes, regulator - all new. Pully and fan are probably old, but they don't wear out either.) My shop gives me good parts - the only time I need a new starter or alternator is when I buy a new XJ...

5-90
Old August 9th, 2005, 11:47
NAXJA Member

Thanks for the info 5-90. Could you tell me more about doing the rebuild to get 140 amps out of my alternator please. That seems like the way to go. I will be running a winch soon and would like to upgrade the alternator now if possible. My alternator is toast. I took it apart and alot of clay got in there also so what do you think I should do? Go with the rebuild to get 140 amp or get the 94 amp alternator for $100.00? Let me know please.

Kim.
Old August 9th, 2005, 13:01
NAXJA Forum User

Oh - I don't do the rebuilds - I have them done for me. I can do them if I really need to, but Rod has all the tools that make it easier, and that saves me a couple hours each time I buy another XJ.

Like I said, find a local shop. The little "hole in the wall" places are best - Rod runs his shop (San Jose Generator) pretty much all by himself, and when I'm dealing with him, I'm going right to the source.

It also helps, once you find a shop like this, to send them as much business as you can (they always appreciate the help - I finally sent Rod enough that he's hired someone part-time) and you will probably notice your prices getting better as well (I've printed some of his cards on the back of my own - with his permission. He's nice like that...)

5-90
Old August 9th, 2005, 13:04
NAXJA Member

Thanks again 5-90. I will look into trying to find a shop to do this. I knew that you didn't know how to do this just try to direct me in that direction. Thanks again.

Kim.
Old August 9th, 2005, 13:15
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85xjwoody
Thanks again 5-90. I will look into trying to find a shop to do this. I knew that you didn't know how to do this just try to direct me in that direction. Thanks again.

Kim.
It think what 5-50 meant was to by a used 150amp somewhere and have that rebuilt.
Old August 9th, 2005, 13:18
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by langer1
It think what 5-50 meant was to by a used 150amp somewhere and have that rebuilt.
Where could I get a used 150 amp alternator? Specific vehicle? Will it bolt up directly or some mods involved. TIA

Kim.
Old August 9th, 2005, 13:37
NAXJA Forum User

Clean up your Napa one and take it back for now. Then you will have time to find a Hi-Power one.
Old August 9th, 2005, 13:40
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by langer1
Clean up your Napa one and take it back for now. Then you will have time to find a Hi-Power one.
They told me it is not covered under warranty because the housing has been modified. The top bolt was stuck and so I had to drill it out to put in a new one. I told them that and they told me no warranty. So I will be looking into the hi-power alternator soon. Thanks again for the help.

Kim.