• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can I Put a 91 head/99 intake manifold on 88 Remax

Jeep 250

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a 1988 Cherokee with 96,743 miles on it for $250. It needed a complete frount end, I pulled one from u-pull it for $150. I got used matching tire and wheel, anyway I have $570 into it, to get it on the road. I'm planning on putting on a 91 to 98 head with a 99 to 02 manifold with throttle body if this is possible? Also planning on Splitfire plugs,Splitfire Ignition wires,TT Banks exhaust,3" coil spacer for the frount 1.5" rear lift shackles/1.5" blocks. If you guys have any input I'm listening.

I am not going to say that its impossable but I will say that it would not be practical to use the HO throttle body with the renix system. What you have to remember is that in 91 Chrysler changed the computer system completly. Therefor the electronics are generly not interchangeable. The HO head will bolt up to the block as the block is the same. The ports on the head are different and the intakes arenot interchangeable. You can go two routs here. you can get the Renix intake modified to fit the HO head or you can use the HO intake and somehow make an adapter to fit the Renix throttle body. I know Accurate Power in Deleware will do the intake mod. I have never seen anyone do the adapter way though. About the lift I personaly would not use that tall of a spacer in the front and would not use blocks in the rear at all ever. Hope this helps.

A '91 head and '99 intake swap onto an '88 Renix is certainly possible. The head will bolt straight up and the intake will bolt straight onto the head. I'm not sure if the '88 fuel rail will go on the '99 intake though. Get the '99 PS pump bracket and either adapt it for the '88 PS pump or go for a '97+ XJ (or '96+ TJ) PS pump to make it a bolt-on fit.
There are two other small problems you'll need to overcome. You'll need to lightly modify the '88 injector plugs to fit on the '99 injectors, and you'll need to modify the Renix TPS to fit on the '99 TB.

the 91 - 95 fuel rai will bolt to the 99 manifold and has the 39# regulator similar to the 88. However the fuel lines need to be added/modified to fit.

I am swapping in a '03 block with a '95 head into an '88 Comanche. So I am facing some simular problems. I am swapping in '95 electronics, so that take car of some problems. Look at:http://www.rockmodified.com/2003/april/TB/tb_perf.htm
for the wiring of your TB. I still face the fuel line issue. I have not complete this swap yet. I am using a 99+ intake manifold. I decided to use a 91-95 fuel rail, so it will bolt onto the intake manifold. The Renix fuel rail won't. I've heard of some zip tying it on. The use of the HO fuel rail creates problems as to the fuel lines not hooking up. On the Renix, there is one going to the front and one to the rear. On the 91-95 HO, both go to the front. I don't know when they went to a single fuel line. So my solution is to use a 91-95 fule lines in the engine bay. It is a piece with two metal lines and two rubber hoses at both ends. Both ends have quick connect fuel connectors. This creates a problem to match up to the Renix lines back to the fuel tank. They each have a crimped on metal piece to retain the fuel line. I plan on cutting them off and cutting off the lower end on the HO fuel lines, then use rubber fuel line hose and clamps to match then up. I should place the engine into the engine bay tommarow. I'm still a few eeks away from getting close. I think I'll have issues with other parts of the swap, like the exhaust and routing it around the Dana 300 T/C. Still some issue up ahead. Also, I am putting in Ford 19# injectors. The guy (Hyperinjection) is going to sort them so they flow like a 21# injector. Hope this helps.
Tom

I have done the 88 block to the 91 head and itworks just fine the gaskets are the same and there is no problems. as for the rest I don't know

Re: 75SV1

Don't cut the rubber line - cut the metal lines on the frame rails beyond the rubber lines and just use 2 3/8" unions (couplings) to join the lines together. Neater and less likely to leak - make sure that the feed line goes to the larger HO inlet port!!

Re: Can I Put a 91 head/99 intake manifold on 88 Renix system

Thanks for the info. Yesterday I replaced the Splitfire Triple-Platinum Plugs and ACcel 8mm wires. Today I'm going to look for a head and manifold w/throttle body I have herd of using a 65mm mustang throttle body. Here I think that I'll keep my options open.
With this project I'm going to take my time, I want to do this right, please keep the info coming in. Agin thankyou!!!!!

I doubt you would need the 65mm Mustang TB, unless you are doing a stroker motor. The poster up above, Dr. Dyno, is the one who has it on his website. I'm surprised he hasn't convinced you to do a stroker yet. Oh, well. I'm not sure about the newer injectors ('99+) or how they will match up to the Renix computer. Something to think about. Many have had sucess with Ford 19lbs injectors. Thats the direction I'm going with. Another option is to bore out the Renix TB. I think you can bore it out to 58mm without messing with the plate. I know of one guy who bores them out to 59mm comercially. He tried to do 60 to 62mm, but it was tempermental. Also, they castings have voids in them and he said he scraped about 1 in 5. I think a 91-95 TB would be your best bet for a swap. Also have it bored out to 60mm or 62mm.
You can bore it out to 60mm without replaceing the throttle plate.
Tom

A modified Mustang 65mm TB is overkill on a 4.0 and is plenty big enough for a stroker too. If you're really serious about the Mustang TB conversion, I suggest you build a stroker first. ;) You can throw all the mods you like at a 4.0 short of adding forced induction but it'll never match the torque from a well-built 4.6 stroker.

263hp@4900/321lbft@3300-3800, 1/4 mile = [email protected], 0-60 = 5.7secs
Websites - Jeep 4.0 Performance, 4.6L Stroker Build-Up, Dino's Jeep Tricks

How are you planning to adapt the EGR tube to the 99 intake manifold?

There are no provisions for an EGR in the 99 manifold.......

CRASH

Crash:

I was thinking about that also.

Couldn't a little splicing and dicing take care of that? Cut out the ERG portion of the renix manifold and adapt/weld it to the new manifold. Then just hope it passes the visual inspection. You could keep the Renix's heat plate on top of the manifold for camoflauge. :)

I was talking to Bennie at Hesco today and he felt the newer style intake would be a great improvement over the Renix manifold.

Re: Can I Put a 91 head/99 intake manifold on 88 remax

Hi guys sorry for not getting back quicker. Crash what would you do, can I installan EGR valve on it?
I just got back from the wrecking yard, and I got an 92 HO head for $30!!! It looksgood.
I also got an exhaust. It is from just before the cat back to the tail pipe, only itdosnt have a cat. It is stright pipe to the muffler. The muffler is longer and
bigger than my stock. It is still like new, for olny $10!!! I just put the pipe on,
And O'BOY dose it have POWER. My jeep250 really woke up. Now dose running with out acat hurt anything.

Running without a cat can hurt if you get caught. EPA fines. Really depends on inspection or lack there of in your area. I looked at both '88 intake manifold and the 99+ ('03 WJ), I have. The 99+ has the boss on the back, that might be usable to mount the EGR valve. The EGR cross tube boss would either need to be cut from the '88 manifold and then welded onto the 99+ or have something machined and welded to the 99+. Then again, you might cut out the whole setion and splice it into the 99+ intake. I would go with the 91-95 Throttle Body, as the Renix TB setup has a plate attached to the intake manifold for the throttle cable. This would require more welding.
I would also think about swapping on a 91-95 Valve cover. It will have the plastic piece to hold the routing of the throttle cable. Also, it is suppose to help control oil/CCV gasses better. I did this VC swap on my '88 with the MADXJ 99+ CCV tube swap. Worked great. I am retaining this in my present swap.
Tom

Thanks Tom, I'm going to work on the head this weekend. I though that I saved a site that told me how to bore my renix 52mm to 58mm but couldn't find it. I have the site form gojeep but I can't find it the site for the 52mm. Here is some sites that I'm looking at:
http://www.naxja.org
http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/
http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/index.htm
http://www.rockmodified.com/2003/april/TB/tb_perf.htm
http://www.jeepersandcreepers.com/gear/pages/throttlebody.htm
I do plan to get 91-95 tb with 99-02 manifold,
Dennis

Here's another site to add:
http://www.madxj.com/
Not a lot of motor stuff, but still good info. Dino's is probably the best for motor stuff. Go-Jeeps has a lot of mods and info I plan to use. The boring of a Renix should be the same as a HO TB. I've seen some use a sanding drum on a drill press or an electric hand drill. I plan to use a lathe myself. As with any swap, your going to have to use good judgement. There's many ways to go about it. It depends on compatability of parts, desired performance and what other mods you plan to do. I wouldn't be able to get where I'm at without the sites listed. Also, If you go to Dino's stroker page, there's a picture of Bryce. He was one of the few sites for swaps about 4 years ago. Him, Cherokee America and a few others. Old Black & Tan, Dino's Mean Green and Go-Jeeps have contributed so much. I'll try and look at the two manifolds more this weekend. I have wiring to do on my garage/housing addition and some labs to write up for a metrology class. I'll try and see if I can determine better the work involved. I deburred my 99+ manifold last night. I plan to have it ceramic coated. This is to replace the heat shield material that others use to keep theirs cool. This along with a ceramic coated header should help a lot. I also plan to do the hood vents.
Tom

Re: Can I Put a 91 head/99 intake manifold on 88 Renix system

I'm going to the clean my head today. It came without 4 push rod and 8 lifters, when looking around the jeep I found all but 1 push rod and 1 set of lifters. But the jeep next to it had enough but they were from a 89.
Are they interchangeable? Can I use my push rods and lifters from my 88?
I'm thinging of putting it on this weekend just to see what it will do. Then when I get the funds I'll do it right. Thanks and have a good weekend God Bliss, dennis

Last edited:
I'm a bit confussed as to the lifter being replaced. I wouldn't put used lifters from another motor into a different motor. The lifters wear with your cam. I'd keep the original lifters, unless they were ticking. Then I'd get new ones. About the same for push rods, but not as critical. Puch rods aren't a lot if you look around. Might try E-Bay. Sometime you can find sets on there under $20 plus shipping. Still it don't hurt to try local sources. The length should be the same for all years.
Tom

I agree it would be a heck of an improvement. I think with some creative TIG work, you could make it happen. If you are in any other western state, you probably wouldn't even need to swap it, as the EGR really doesn't help all that much in tailpipe emissions during a smog test (I've smogged my rig with an inoperable EGR and it did very well). However the visual test would never fly in Cali. In fact, last time they tested my EGR ot make sure it worked by applying vaccuum. The engine died, meaning it was working.

That part of the Renix manifold is kind of complex, so you'd have to cut out a 3x3 section or so to get the boss, the threaded portions, and the EGR passage.

CRASH

XJZ said:
Crash:

I was thinking about that also.

Couldn't a little splicing and dicing take care of that? Cut out the ERG portion of the renix manifold and adapt/weld it to the new manifold. Then just hope it passes the visual inspection. You could keep the Renix's heat plate on top of the manifold for camoflauge. :)

I was talking to Bennie at Hesco today and he felt the newer style intake would be a great improvement over the Renix manifold.

Back