• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best production leafs that provide 6.5"~

xjj33p3r

NAXJA Member #1108
I went to look at my right side spring which seems to be sagged out beyond repair, and I went to compare them, and wouldn't ya know, the left side is beginning to sag as well. :(

I have read over lots of threads talking about making customs leafs and all that, which is great, but it's just not for me. I'm now in the market for some new leaf packs that will provide around 6.5" of lift, will last longer than the Rusty's leafs have, and will travel decently upwards and downwards. I'm still using stock shackles, so maybe that's something that should be taken into consideration as well.

I've been searching around and have found only Big-offroad and Rusty's springs that offer about that height, and I searched the RE catalog, and didn't find their 5.5" leafs for sale individually. Yes I am looking to buy a pair, but RE sells them individually as I understand it. Anyways, if yall have some recommendations that I may not know about from just general searching, I'd really appreciate it so that I don't waste money on something that won't last. You get what you pay for I guess... :(

xjj33p3r said:
I've been searching around and have found only Big-offroad and Rusty's springs that offer about that height, and I searched the RE catalog, and didn't find their 5.5" leafs for sale individually. Yes I am looking to buy a pair, but RE sells them individually as I understand it. Anyways, if yall have some recommendations that I may not know about from just general searching, I'd really appreciate it so that I don't waste money on something that won't last. You get what you pay for I guess... :(
I have the RE 4.5" leafs and an MJ shackle and even with a lot of equipment in the back I sit at about 6" (and that's after running them for nearly a year). If you're looking for 6.5" you can get their 5.5" leaf packs and either their shackle (which will net you probably over 7") or an MJ shackle. FYI for best pricing go through a dealer and not directly through RE. Call Dan Turner from Loose Nuts for a quote. Tell him you're on NAXJA.

Kejtar said:
If you're looking for 6.5" you can get their 5.5" leaf packs and either their shackle (which will net you probably over 7") or an MJ shackle.
possible SPOBI.... :lecture:
According to the RE catalog, they don't make a 5.5" leaf pack for an XJ.
(I wish they DID...)
Gotcha Remi! :laugh3:

BillR said:
possible SPOBI.... :lecture:
According to the RE catalog, they don't make a 5.5" leaf pack for an XJ.
(I wish they DID...)
Gotcha Remi! :laugh3:
You're right. In that case, didn't they make one before? I'm pretty sure I remember looking at it either online or in the catalog and it was a 5.5" military wrap leaf spring pack for an XJ.

I would check with JohnJohn who owns BigOffroad.com I am running his 4" springs which everybody pretty much realizes, gives you closer to 6". I also run a set of dogleg shackles to raise it a bit more and provide clearance for the springs. They are made by Alcan and have held up well with the stroker. I had an old pair of Rusty's springs and promptly wraped them the first time I torqued up the stroker. I haven't found the need to run a torque bar with the BOR springs due perhaps to the extra Military wrap leaf.

I'm not trying to knock the Rusty's springs. As I said they were old and had been wheeled pretty hard. Almost any spring will have problems with around 300 ft. lbs of torque on big rocks.

I'm on my second set of BOR leafs and couldn't be happier with them. I DID replace the first set with a set that is taller and after several years the first ones were still great. I think that the 6" flex better than the 4" ones.

rock rash said:
but do they flex well?

i went from their 8" down to their 6" leaf pack, i felt i wasn't getting enough flex from the 8" packs.......i removed the clamp bolts and such to try to get more flex with little results. I've now had the 6" leafs on for a month and just on the street they give a better ride.
i believe the 8" leafs are stiffer because of the amount of arch put into them...the more arch,the less rear travel or movement during axle articulation.
the 6" leafs have less arch and therefore give more movement.
i also switched to a boomerang style shackle from JKS.

so that being said.......anyone want to buy my BigOffroad 8" leaf packs? :)

So the 6" packs should be around 7.5" without a 300lb load, and the 4" packs give about 6.5" or so, without a 300lb load? I think I'll take the 6" packs considering I may be adding a tire carrier in the rear. So far, big offroad is the main choice.

The Rusty's leafs were alright, but comparatively, they didn't ride as well as say, RE leafs. I've tried riding in as many jeeps as I can, and Rusty's seems to be the tougher ride. And, I don't want to go Rusty's really since mine have sagged so much.

Back