• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

On board air in progress! (Pics)

nickr

NAXJA Forum User
First of all this is on a 1996 4.0L Cherokee Sport with A/C.:lecture:

I thought I would start a thread with a few pics and some info on my on board air progress. The first thing that I done was ordered a K&N filter (part number RB-0910) and the Rusty's Air tube. I then went to the stealership and ordered a battery tray for a 2000 diesel XJ (Part Number 55174970) it was about $50 bucks.

Then was the fun part of upgrading/moving the battery cables. I decided to go with some 1/0 gauge (monstrous cable). I ended up using 14 feet of cable, 6 eyelets, 2 post terminals, 20" shrink wrap. My cost on the cables was $45. I upgraded every cable between the alternator, starter, fuse center, and battery.

When I got everything ready for the Optima Red Top battery I ran into a problem of the battery not liking to fit between the computer and the power steering reservoir. So, I decided to make a bracket to move the computer between the air filter and battery. Needless to say, everything is snugly placed.

I have the bracket kit from Kilby Enterprises (Part KE-1700) ready to install the compressor which I will probably do next weekend. The kit comes the bracket to mount the compressor and a combo pulley for the alternator (serpentine/v-belt). It also includes all the hardware that I will need to mount the bracket.

I will add some more pics to this thread when I get the compressor mounted.

Here is a pic of the driver's side
76fbb74d.jpg

This a better look at Rusty's air tube
4375e228.jpg

This is a look at the upgraded cables at the alternator
e47f50d1.jpg

Here you can see that there is plenty of room for the new York compressor
101_0032.jpg

I just put the compressor in there for a test fit.
101_0035.jpg

:us:

Last edited:
Yep, I couldn't get one either --- frickn' dealerships.

Your setup looks great so far. You're so lucky that you didn't have to move your a/c lines going to the condenser --- that was the hardest part about doing mine. You'll probably have to space your fan forward too. Good luck!

Battery tray!!!

xxxj-va said:
So far so good! My local dealer refused to order the diesel tray for me.
joshbish said:

Your setup looks great so far. You're so lucky that you didn't have to move your a/c lines going to the condenser --- that was the hardest part about doing mine. You'll probably have to space your fan forward too. Good luck!
I have one of these (battery tray) that I'm not going to use. I've already cut off the one part that's supposed to come off to make it work, but that's as far as I got. I'll ship it to whoever for $45.00. PM me if interested.

Sorry for hijacking your thread nickr. Great job on your OBA project.

Dan.

i just used the old one it fit better then the one you are tring to get. i do body work and i can get them if needed

HoodRichXJ said:
Same thing happened to me, dealership would not order the part they said it was an export only part, and he was a weenie about it.
I guess I was just lucky because my dealship was more than happy to order it for me, they said it might take a few days to get it because it had to come directly from the factory instead of the distrubution center.

joshbish said:

I have actually been thinking about what I'll have to do about moving my fan forward. I can't acually move the clutch and all forward because I have a CSF 3-row radiator and the clearance is minimal as it is. I was think that I might just take the fan off and bend all the blades forward enough to make room for the new combo pulley. I don't see any reason that bending the blades would be a problem if I got them all bent pretty much the same. Any thoughts?

nickr said:
II was think that I might just take the fan off and bend all the blades forward enough to make room for the new combo pulley. I don't see any reason that bending the blades would be a problem if I got them all bent pretty much the same. Any thoughts?
Balance!!!

TRNDRVR said:
Balance!!!
What would be the adverse effects of not have the fan perfectly balanced? By looking at the clearance of the fan blades to the alternator currently, I don't think I will have to move the blades that much, if any.

Well this is interesting news....so all these threads about ppl chasing down a RHD tray to reloc the battery could just the LHD tray as is? Wow...forest for the trees and I see said the blind man. That never occurred to me.

-P

MDXJ said:
i just used the old one it fit better then the one you are tring to get. i do body work and i can get them if needed

I used p/n 23034232 to get the battery tray. They wouldn't order by the above p/n because the said it's an export part. And I also had to relocate the computer.

After getting my York in, I had to address the upper rad hose being pinched between the Kilby bracket and hood (yours looks to take a different routing than mine did). And I had to space the fan out to clear the rivets on the York clutch. A couple of washers worked. Nuts still full engage the threads. I still have an OEM rad. I had to cut a corner off the Kilby bracket to clear a canniser just behind it. And I mounted the ork clocked off to the side, can't remember exactly why (been just over two years), but I think it had something to do with either the discharge hose or the filter on the suction side.

nickr said:
I was think that I might just take the fan off and bend all the blades forward enough to make room for the new combo pulley. I don't see any reason that bending the blades would be a problem if I got them all bent pretty much the same. Any thoughts?

Balance you like your 3 row GDI radiator.. if go ahead and bend your fan blades. if it comes off it will go through the radiator for sure.. I know mine did... had one blade bent instead of replacing it I tried to straitin it myself bad idea.. ne fan and new radiator as well..

I also tried getting the diesel tray, but the dealership wasn't interested in helping me. So, I used the Stock tray after cutting the nub of the drain hole off. I was able to use a couple holes already in the fender, so I only had to drill a couple. Warning to those of you that might try this:
  1. You will need to move the computer -- I made a bracket out of shelf hardware and fixed it to the fender wall behind where the washer fluid resevoir is. (didn't have to change the cables this way)
  2. Depending on how you get the battery in there, the positive terminal may be in close proximity of the fender wall and or the hood. (it was pretty close to the hood on the other side). I cut a piece of plexiglass and put it over the battery using the stock battery holders.
good luck on OBA!

Just for knowledge, on my '98 York project, I sunk the computer into the LF fender using a little sheet metal box I built. Plenty of room for the battery using this technique. I also tried using the Kilby kit, but found limited clearance with the fan blade and the air cond. lines. I ended up returning the Kilby kit and making my own mount to put the York inline with the serpentine pulleys. I added an idler pulley mounted off my bracket and it all works quite well. I still had to reroute the air cond. lines a bit. In the end, this has been a GREAT mod for me and I use it all the time for different stuff. Jeff

I am doing this in a '99 XJ with A/C. Has anyone done this and had to move the A/C lines? Mine are in the way. I went to a local A/C shop and he quoted me $75 for a evac, reclamation, and recharge of the Freon and $200 to move the lines from the condensor. He thought I would need to actually cut into the back of the headlight case to move the lines -- thus the $200 of welding. I don't think so. Has anyone done this or had to? Thanks

Back