• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

security alarm

renebeller

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 91 Cherokee LTD. After closing the car with the remote lock the alarm starts after a wile. I heard that it's possible to idle the alarm by simply grounding a sensor and it's described in the NAXJA forum. But can't find it. Can somebody help? Thank you.

On my ’91 limited I bypassed the security system entirely. It annoyed me and never worked correctly to begin with. Remove the back panel on the lift gate, it is held in with two screws and a series of the plastic Christmas tree plugs. If you don’t have a body panel removal tool you can use a long thin flat screwdriver. The correct tool is about $3 at NAPA, makes life much easier and I’d highly suggest you get it before you break off the Christmas trees or the plastic tabs on the panel. Once you get the panel off you will see the electrical connector for the rear lock mechanism. Its right in the middle in a cut out in the fiberglass hatch. The connector will have four wires going to/coming from it. Two of them are for the electric lock mechanism and the other two are for the security system. Unplug the connector, run a jumper across two of the wires and plug the connector back in. I’m sorry I can’t remember which two wires it was and I don’t really want to take my panel back off to look. When I did it the first time it only took about 15 mins to figure out the right combination. WARNING!!! This will completely disable your security system. You don’t have the option of turning the system on, off or valet mode; it is permanently off until you remove the jumper from the plug. I’ve run my Jeep like this for the last year and a half with no ill effects. PS Auto starts will not work with the factory security system enabled. You can’t disconnect power to the security module or it will disable the Jeep entirely and no one makes a “bypass module” for the older Cherokees. This was the only way I could figure out how to get mine to work with an auto start.

Last edited:
Wiley, many thanks.
In a german Jeep forum a member had a other solution to disarm the security system which I successfully have already realized:
Behind the side panel of the drivers footroom you can localize the wiring of the security alarm (light green with orange strip). You only have to ground this cable with a pice of wire and the security alarm is disabled. If you want to enable the alarm during summer (when the systems perhaps works properly) you can install a on/off switch in the grounding cable.

After fighting with my 88 Laredo alarm for a few days I finally figured out that there's a fuse in the harness going to the alarm. The fuse is on the orange wire only. Once I unplugged one leg of the fuse.........Voila! No more alarm.

My alarm had been working normal until the heap spent 10 months in the garage with the battery disconnected, while it waitied for me to finish working on it.

Just wanted to bump this thread back up.
Anybody else recal the two wires description in the tailgate?
Anbody else try the sugestion by renebeller or redbluff?

I think the problem with the alarm on my 91 is that it is not getting a signal from the switch that I have unlocked the drivers door. If I unlock the passengers door it does not go off. Where is the switch for this located in the door? Maybe I could clean or replace it.

I just bought the jeep and did find the key fob, maybe once I get some bats in it and use it instead the problem will not happen?

Andy

Ressurecting a thread from the dead. I tried the back hatch deal. and it made my interior lights stay on for like 5 mins. They eventually went off, but as soon as they went off, the alarm went off. I tried the Green and orange striped wire behind the kick panel. It worked. To clarify, it is the light green wire with the orange stripe, not the dark green. The only adverse effect I have found so far, it that there is no longer a delay on the interior lights, or headlights, but well worth it to be rid of the alarm. Thanks for the great info. I just re-read the thread, and realized they did infact specify it was light green. Oh well, it worked!

Back