• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front vibe solution - more dc joints in ds?

kubtastic

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering if this would work? I have read lots about people getting front vibes, and polishing the turd of the dana 30 or replacing it to fix the problem. How about getting a front driveshaft with 2 double cardan joints for the multiple angles? that way, you get the axle at stock specs relative the ground, and the front ds just gets a double cardan at the axle end as well.
It was suggested to me when I asked about the lateral offset of the Ford 8.8 causing compound angles. I suppose the cost of upgrading the front ds to this would be about $200, which might be cheaper than a new axle when not really needed, and certainly less work. I have the 242 and automatic transmission, and I really like 4x4 while going through snowy Colorado and Utah.

I thought about this several years ago but then figured out why not. DC joints do not center perfectly and can wobble, especially if the spring inside and bearing gets worn. Putting on two would allow the shaft to move around too much and thus vibrate. Sure would be nice if it could be done, but I don't think you would be satisfied with the result.

since i started it --

how can you change the pinion angle without effecting caster and the spring perches? I mean, could one actually weld the tubes into the pumpkin at a different angle?

On the back you use angled shims, but on the front, you can do adjustable ball joints or cut the knuckles loose from the tubes, rotate them, and reweld.

old_man said:
On the back you use angled shims, but on the front, you can do adjustable ball joints or cut the knuckles loose from the tubes, rotate them, and reweld.

yup= takes all of 3 hours and a lot of grinding wheels.

Regarding the Double DC shafts-- I've seen many manufacturers offer them, and it's factory on a certain model of the Land Rover, IIRC....

burntkat said:
yup= takes all of 3 hours and a lot of grinding wheels.

Regarding the Double DC shafts-- I've seen many manufacturers offer them, and it's factory on a certain model of the Land Rover, IIRC....

Well, 3 months later...now we know.

we were all waiting for your wonderfully insightful input, Dirk...

Back