• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I dont think its the distributor anymore...what's this thing? pic

Gridikal

NAXJA Forum User
First off..THANKS FOR PROCESSING MY MEMBERSHIP!!:party:

and for the question...

This thing pulses and the "ticking noise" I NOW belive is comming from this. Very audible inside the cab. I think the distribuitor is ok, now but I have no idea what this thing is or why its making this horrindus ticking...lil help..thanks
pulse.JPG

phone pic, all i haveIts on the firewall to the (if looking from the front of jeep) left of the engine and right below the engine light- it's a 97... has somthing to do with the fuel?? one line runs into the charcoal can if I'm not mistaken.

Purge valve for the emissions system. Yes, it makes a repetitive noise, and dealers are aware of it. My early 2000 makes the same noise, the late 2000 does not. Not certain, but I think they may have changed the mount, either location or used a softer rubber isolator.

It's harmless, albeit annoying. Turn up the stereo.

Maybe you just started noticing?????

Mine has done it since Day One. I mentioned it the first time I took it in for service, and the tech knew immediately what it was and what it sounds like.

Ah, you're in VA. Did the weather recently get colder there? Did the start of the sound (or your noticing it) correspond to a drop in temperature? If so, it could be because the rubber isolators in the mount aren't as resilient when cold. Mine is a lot louder in winter.

Eagle said:
Maybe you just started noticing?????

Mine has done it since Day One. I mentioned it the first time I took it in for service, and the tech knew immediately what it was and what it sounds like.

Ah, you're in VA. Did the weather recently get colder there? Did the start of the sound (or your noticing it) correspond to a drop in temperature? If so, it could be because the rubber isolators in the mount aren't as resilient when cold. Mine is a lot louder in winter.
yeah thats prob, it... didnt do it last winter though. Speakin of things that make noise when it gets cold am I the only one that has the world's sqeekiest steering wheel??

Last edited:
Get big tires, you won't be able to hear the little squeeks :laugh3:

LOL bigger tires will always do the trick...my 2000 also has that problem...anyways, jeep has a replacement for 25 bux or so...i dont know if the part numbers are the same all over but here it's 4669475AB. Eagle pretty much explained why thats happening so its not going to hurt anything to leave it like that. As for the steering wheel, i have the same problem...when i'm stopped if i turn the wheel slightly left or right i can almost feel the squeeks in the brake pedal. Made me nervous at first but now that i know what it is i'm just trying to ignore it...(unless someone has an easy fix for this?)

I can hear mine in the cab.... on a quiet night and concentrating on the sounds.

I agree that the sound can probably be deadened a little by using softer rubber mounts. Check your canister to see whether it's touching the body somewhere, since sound can travel and may be amplified.

Back