• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick! Need installation Help!

offroadinchick

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so I bought a Front Hidden Hitch for my 2000 XJ, someone on here said they have it and made it work. I cant seem to get it to though! The sway bar hits it. The sway bar is connected to the frame with brackets - which I dont show in any of my chiltons or online XJ manual. Does anyone know if the swaybar connects directly to the frame? I bought this used and dont know if the swaybar was rigged for some reason, or if I simply can not have a front receiver. If anyone can help me, please let me know, I would like to get this installed today!

Thank you for any info!

Signed,

Pulling hair out again!

I don't have a Front Receiver, but the front sway bar on mine just bolts to the frame rails, (held in place by two loop brackets actually). Mine's a 2001.

Maybe you can drop the sway bar brackets and mount the hitch, and if the itch wants to use the sway bar frame holes, re-mount the sway bar brackets on tp of the hitch. This would of course lower the sway bar, but if you are running disconnects, should be able to adjust the length to adjust them. This only makes sense of course if the hitch tries to pickup the sway bar mounting holes.

Derik

DaffyXJ said:
I don't have a Front Receiver, but the front sway bar on mine just bolts to the frame rails, (held in place by two loop brackets actually). Mine's a 2001.

Maybe you can drop the sway bar brackets and mount the hitch, and if the itch wants to use the sway bar frame holes, re-mount the sway bar brackets on tp of the hitch. This would of course lower the sway bar, but if you are running disconnects, should be able to adjust the length to adjust them. This only makes sense of course if the hitch tries to pickup the sway bar mounting holes.

Derik

If only it were that easy! It will only fit over the swaybar which would trap it in place. Has anyone mopunted a hidden hitch front hitch on a 2000???

I know I have a 93', but it still should be simular. I installed the front HH and I can recall it incorprated two of the swaybar mounts, one on each side. Unless the Hidden hitch is for specifically for the earlier XJ's, if so then you may be out of luck. If you do have to send it back, you can see if the Drawtite one will fit. I like the DT one better for the clearance reasons anyway.

Someone said that if it will fit on a 98, it will fit a 2000. My biggest question to making it fit is the swaybar brackets. My swaybar is bolted to a "C" shaped bracket at the bottom of the "C" and the top is mounted to the frame. So if I get rid of that bracket and bolt the swaybar to the frame it MAY work. My question is - in all 2000 / 2001 XJ's are the swaybars bolted to this "C" shaped bracket, or do the swaybars mount to the frame? I bought mine used so I do not know if this was rigged!

Also, a few people who have installed a HH on here said that they had to make modifications - but not exactly what. And the links that went to the pictures that were posted (search looked through pages 1 - 10!) do not work any more.

TIA!

Ok, let me save someone the trouble.

You can not use a Hidden Hitch Front Hitch on a lifted XJ. The brackets that hold the sway bar to the frame are to compensate for the lift. I forgot, but they did come with the lift kit! Because of this I can not use the hidden hitch front hitch. I could have if my XJ were stock - or lifted a little.

Tyler at www.offroadingtimes.com is making me a sweet bumper instead. We went over the design today - sweet! I will post picks when it is done

Cami

You could always buy some disconnect links for the sway bar and get rid of the drop brackets.

Cami,

As long as you have the receiver, check out. http://www.etrailer.com/productdetail.asp?partno=65009&vehicleid=1580&yearfrom=2000&h=e

Instruction for mounting HH front receiver.

If you do go for the bumper, just make sure who ever fabricates it picks up as many frame rail holes as possible for mounting it. More the better.
ARB uses 10, 5 on each side.
The last thing you want is to rip off the front bumper when pulling or winching.

Derik

offroadinchick said:
Ok, let me save someone the trouble.

You can not use a Hidden Hitch Front Hitch on a lifted XJ. The brackets that hold the sway bar to the frame are to compensate for the lift. I forgot, but they did come with the lift kit! Because of this I can not use the hidden hitch front hitch. I could have if my XJ were stock - or lifted a little.

Tyler at www.offroadingtimes.com is making me a sweet bumper instead. We went over the design today - sweet! I will post picks when it is done

Cami
Maybe I am misinterpreting what you are saying, but I have a hidden hitch installed on my 94 with a RE 3.5" lift. I will post a pic tomorrow, when it is light out, of how it mounts.

Back