• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cooling fan replacement

Bjack

NAXJA Forum User
The electric cooling fan on my 1996 XJ quit working. I have run a few tests and I'm sure it is the fan. anyone know of a aftermarket replacement.

Thanks

Bob

Another of the same - those fans really suck, but that's a god thing in this case. Before you throw it out though, spray the guts with WD40 and blow it clean. There was another poster within the last few days that mentioned doing that to bring a 'dead' fan back to life.

I bought one from Quadratec.com for around $100. Not bad considering what the dealer and junkyard wanted for it. I opted to buy the newer style fan with more blades. It works better than my older style fan. Not sure what year they started putting those in the XJs. I believe I ordered one for a '97.

This new fan of mine must be spinning like a motherf**cker. When I shut the motor off I can hear the fan wind down like a jet engine.

The 96 will have the new style fan already.
96xjcooling.jpg

Now that you mention it, the fan DOES sound like a turbine slowing...

Actually, I think 93 or so was the first year, I was just using my 96 as an example. I should have pointed that out, thanks.

Jim

Back