• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changing out a fuel injector....

penberth

NAXJA Forum User
I was thinking about cleaning the injector / and or replacing it. Has anyone done this? Is it hard? According to the FSM, it looks fairly easy. It says that you have to de-pressurize the fuel system. After the injector is replaced, do you have to re-pressurize it? Or does this happen automatically?

Any words of advice? I don't really want to go to the dealer and pay them $90 just to say they have to replace the injector, and then over charge me for that too.

Don't do just one, do all 6 at the same time. Put a rag around the schrader valve on the fuel rail, push in the pin and let it bleed off. Disconnect the battery first. Then pull the whole rail with the injectors on it, replace them with new ones and reinstall. Good source is from Ford Mustang injectors. Do a search and look for fiveoh or something like that.

The one auto parts store in town was $89.00 each, the other parts store says $79.98 each. I am replacing the one because it sticking, not as a performance boost. I don't really have $480 to replace them all.
Thanks for the advice on bleeding the fuel rail though...

You will find that that 50 site has them ALOT cheaper than you are looking at locally....

penberth said:
The one auto parts store in town was $89.00 each, the other parts store says $79.98 each. I am replacing the one because it sticking, not as a performance boost. I don't really have $480 to replace them all.
Thanks for the advice on bleeding the fuel rail though...

I went through the same thing I replaced one then another started leaking the next week.
I ended up going with Ford Mustang injectors. I got 8 of them for $89.
They were factory take offs but only had like 10 miles on them. I have had them in there for a year and a half with no problems.
www.kar-kraft.com is where I got mine and most go to www.fiveomotorsports.com or something like that.
DIG IT!

I would heed RichP's advice. I just purchased 6 injectors from Five O Motorsport for around $170. Autozone, etc. would charge you that much for only 2 of them!!

Buy the Bosch 0280150556-D5B injectors. They're supposed to be an improvement over the factory ones.

http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/Injector_SetsJEEP.asp

Make sure you get two fuel line repair kits from the dealership if you're pulling off the fuel rail hoses. The part number (for my '87 XJ) was 83502745. About $15 each. Cheap insurance.

Btw. Five O Motorsport's prices on eBay tend to be slightly cheaper than his website. Just use the PayItNow option.

Back