• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Bumper and Swing Out Poll

Good Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier

• C4x4

Votes: 42 33.1%
  • BulletProof

Votes: 15 11.8%
  • Other

Votes: 70 55.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GAdawg

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, I tried to jerry rig a swing out tire carrier on the stock bumper and after about a year I'm tired of it. So I have looked at more bumpers and swing out tire carriers than I can remember: C4x4, BulletProof, Durango, Tomken. I know I have seen more but can't remember. Who has had good or bad experience with anything. I like the look of BulletProof, but the price is steep. Any suggestions and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

C4x4 hands down... can beat it for price, fit and finish.

durango and BP are heavy very heavy. and Tomken only used 1/8" thick steel.

I love my C4x4 combo.

poppabear said:
C4x4 hands down... can beat it for price, fit and finish.

durango and BP are heavy very heavy. and Tomken only used 1/8" thick steel.

I love my C4x4 combo.
hey Poppa, does your c4x4 tie into the hitch location in addition to the stoch bumper mounts, do you have any pics of the mounting brackets and stuff?

thanks in advance;
ravi

I would run the C4x4. I think it is more of a personal preferance. Didn't BP go out of business? That's what I heard. You might be able to find some on ebay, or such.

No real opinion, but proto fab does make a pretty sweet setup. They have one of the best latches. Hanson Ent stuff is nice too. I guess you kinda need to decide how much you want to spend and then choose between what is affordable.
Dustin

It's definitely a personal preference thing and also how much you're willing to spend. Since no one else has thrown out BPI, I will. www.bpifab.com

Here you go:
IMG_1845.jpg

rav said:
hey Poppa, does your c4x4 tie into the hitch location in addition to the stoch bumper mounts, do you have any pics of the mounting brackets and stuff?

thanks in advance;
ravi

My C4x4 w/ tire carrier ties into the hitch location. It's just the first two bolts on the nut sert (or whatever it's called). I'm not sure I'd use it as a serious tow point, but the tire carrier. No rattles. It's fun getting a gas tank skid, a hitch, the bumper and the exhaust pipe hanger all to line up on those holes. By fun I mean PITA.

Starboard M said:
Didn't BP go out of business? That's what I heard.

I heard that too, on another forum. My advice, aviod BP and Durango. I have a BP and love it but it is very expensive and may be out of buisness, Durango rears are heavy and owners with swingout have complained on here about them flexing the body, I've seen tomken's rattle and shake on the trail I think?, so look at the others suggestions. 100% rattle free with solid attachment to all bumper and hitch mounts should be mandatory the rest is up to you.

Last edited:
There is nothing worse than having to swing out a heavy oversized tire on a big ole heavy duty bumper/carrier every time you want to open the hatch.

One of my top five mods was definitely removing the tire carrier from my Tomken bumper. It's been years, and I still hate that thing.

Weight is your enemy. Tube provides the best strength to weight ratio, and I will never do another 3/16" box steel bumper, much less adding the weight of the carrier and the leverage of a big tire back there.

Nay

This is probably not the right time to discuss this but I some what agree with Nay. I disagree with the statement that there is nothing worse than a rear bumper and tire carrier. I only say this because I had it on my roof before and that made for some serious stability issues. I am not sold on the Bumper and tire carrier combo either but it brings up the issue where in the heck do you put the spare tire? I won't agree with leave it behind and I need the back end to haul stuff including my 4 year old boy. The bumper and tire carrier is the best set up I have found so far but I do not belive it is the best. I won't even bring up the obvious rear view and hatch inconviece. How ever the Off Road Tech set up is very easy to open and shut. Just something to think about. Sorry about the thread snaffooy.

Joe

I agree with Nay completely about it being a PITA to use the hatch on a regular basis with the tire carrier on. I made my own bumper and tire carrier, so I made the carriers(have a jerry can swingarm for the passenger side, tire goes on the driver's side) removeable. Normally the tire just lays flat in the back along with some misc. tools and my hi-lift. When I need storage room for traveling and 'wheelin, the tire carrier goes on and I have room inside. Best of both worlds IMO. HTH

Ary

Safari Ary said:
I made my own bumper and tire carrier, so I made the carriers(have a jerry can swingarm for the passenger side, tire goes on the driver's side) removeable. Normally the tire just lays flat in the back along with some misc. tools and my hi-lift. When I need storage room for traveling and 'wheelin, the tire carrier goes on and I have room inside. Best of both worlds IMO. HTH

Ary

That's actually a very good idea if you need the room sometimes.

When I had a swingout I had the C4X4 and really liked it with 30" tires.
HellHole.jpg

Once I switched to 33s I was less than pleased though as I was dragging that spare over everything.
I have since shunned the idea of ever having a back seat again so the tire just rides inside and I couldn't be happier.

Jes

Thanks guys. You brought out some brands I hadn't heard of yet and will definitely consider. I agree with Nay that swing outs are inconvinient but I definitley use my roof basket to the max for storage so I am out of options. I appreciate the help and the pics.

IMO the C4x4 is the nicest for the money, but I went with BPI Fab because the C4x4 does not include the integrated 2" receiver. This is something that I researched for months after I found out that AEV hadn't shipped anything in over a year. In fact it has almost been a year since I ordered mine and have not heard a word out of them. The BulletProof bumper are very nice and have a lifetime guarantee, but they cost a few dollars more. I have been very happy with my BPI Fab bumper and they are very well made.

im000779.jpg

im000797.jpg

im000829.jpg

Safari Ary said:
I agree with Nay completely about it being a PITA to use the hatch on a regular basis with the tire carrier on. I made my own bumper and tire carrier, so I made the carriers(have a jerry can swingarm for the passenger side, tire goes on the driver's side) removeable. Normally the tire just lays flat in the back along with some misc. tools and my hi-lift. When I need storage room for traveling and 'wheelin, the tire carrier goes on and I have room inside. Best of both worlds IMO. HTH

Ary

This is the way to do it. Leave it off for normal usage, and add it for the trail. That is far better than any "off the shelf" design I've seen.

I just put my spare up top. I haven't found it to be the stability problem that people are so afraid of.

Nay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back