• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reprogramming keyless entry remote

red93xj

NAXJA Forum User
I want to program my 93' remote towork on my parents 90' xj. And, yes they know about it. They just don't want to have to drop 80 bucks on a new remote since I don't use mine. Anyway, theres gotta be a way to, anybody know?

Its really easy and most dealers will do it for free, at least mine did. I later discovered that there are instructions on how to do it in your owners manual. It takes 30 seconds tops.

No can do, I think. The early remotes were factory programmed, while the later remotes are user programmable. The split is in 1992.

I'm not sure on the year they changed, but the two systems are totally different and incompatible. The early system was infra-red, and the later system is radio transmitter. If your two vehicles are on opposite sudes of the split, it ain't gonna happen.

the zj had the infrared until at least '95 ... i had one
they generally have a visible either around the o.h. consol/dome light
or around the defrog vents it is a black lens or bulb looks like the end of a t.v. remote
if the 90 has it and the 93 doesn't then it probably wont work
anymech. at the dealership will know how...probably the detail boys too
it involves turning the key off then on for so long while holding the button

its been four years since i did it...

Okay now is that for the stock remotes? because mine doesnt look anything like that one. Mine is sorta long and black with three buttons two for locking and unlocking and one red for panic. And my remote says Jeep on it. Is mine reprogrammable? i guess we will find out huh? is that the only way to reprogram it?

madcrazy_lp said:
Mine is sorta long and black with three buttons two for locking and unlocking and one red for panic. And my remote says Jeep on it.

That sounds like the '97-up RF remote (I've had what sounds like the same unit on both my 2001 and 2000); I believe that both of your XJs should be infrared, in which case that unit will not work with it. Questions:

- Has this remote ever worked with your XJ?
- Is there a black bubble about an inch in diameter in the roof of either XJ? It'll usually be between the sun visors or in the roof console towards the middle.

If the answer to the first question is 'no', then your answer to the second will probably be 'yes'. In this case, that remote will not work. If the answer to the first question is 'yes', we've got some investigating to do because you've got a non-standard remote locking system on your XJ.

Back