• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Old Man Emu Shock Lengths

Garthbmn7

NAXJA Member #524
Anyone know where I can find a chart showing the lengths of the OME shocks? What model i should be getting for my amount of lift type of thing?
Thanks

Doesn't show the compressed/extended lengths, but has part numbers and for what lift they work. http://www.dpgoffroad.com/New_Folder3/OMEjeepprice.htm
I have the OME N35L/N36L's on my wife's XJ with 6.5" of lift, and they ride great. If you call or email Dirk, he will probably be able to get you the different lengths or he can tell you what you may need for your particular lift.

Thanks Guys

I tried searching thru the archive and wasn't finding anything that listed the part numbers and i tried googling. So figured betweena post here and an email to arbusa someone would know. Thanks :worship:

OME N35 Front shocks 23.75" open 15.25" closed
OME N36 Rear shocks 22.25" open 13.50" closed

OME N35L front shocks 26.7" open 15.7" closed
OME N36L rear shocks 24.5" open 14.6" closed

The Comforts (C) are the same as the N35/N36

Ok, I know this is a super old post, but I couldn't find this info anywhere. Does anyone know where I can find a list of compressed/extended length specs for Old Man Emu shocks. I'm just not looking for fits 2" or 3" lift etc...

I gather the comforts are valved differently for different spring rates. I have the N35L and N36L on my jeep. Previous owner put them on for 4.5" of lift. I'm currently at 6.0" of lift and they are useable. the fronts are okay length wise, i can unseat my spring before the shock bottoms out, but the rear shock is too short. Looking for some replacements soon enough.

OME makes more than just the above listed shocks for the xj now, that's why I was asking.

I just got Long-travel Sports for the front and was told by Dirk at DPG that they have the same travel specs as the old ones.
When I got them, I confirmed this by measuring. I would assume that they are all still the same.

Edit: I just noticed your post was 2 months old. :dunce:
I hoped my answer helped.

I just got Long-travel Sports for the front and was told by Dirk at DPG that they have the same travel specs as the old ones.
When I got them, I confirmed this by measuring. I would assume that they are all still the same.

How much lift are you running to go with the long travel sports? Did Dirk mention by chance when he recommends the long travel vs regular length ones? I'm shooting for 3 inches of lift on the nose, and trying to decide which shocks to go with.

How much lift are you running to go with the long travel sports? Did Dirk mention by chance when he recommends the long travel vs regular length ones? I'm shooting for 3 inches of lift on the nose, and trying to decide which shocks to go with.

I have exactly 4" of lift up front. I verified this by measuring the dirty way: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=912893
I have 3 hockey pucks (each puck is 1" tall) for additional bump-stop.
At my lift height, and with my bump-stops, I have 3-3.5" of up-travel.

In your case, you would have 2-2.5" of up-travel. Keep in mind, I give a .5" variance, because the upper stop is not rigid. It will collapse some on impact.
Going with the short travel shocks and bump-stopping accordingly, will only net you .5" more up-travel, while limiting your down travel by 3".

So, ask yourself, do you want ~2.5" of up-travel and ~8" of down travel. (long travel)

-or-

Do you want ~3" of up-travel and 5" of down travel? (short travel)

Dirk and I did not discuss which he preferred for the front. However, he did say that he likes to raise his rear shock mounts (for added clearance) and run the shorts out back.

Prosonic, did you do long travel on both ends for yours? Ome stuff was on backorder for 6-8 weeks, so I rounded up misc parts in stock across the country. Unbeknown to me, the guy at 4wd.com sent me long travels for the front and standards for the rear. After speaking with dirk, it sounds like this will be fine, I'll just get less droop in the rear. Do you have similar calculations for the rear of a 3" lifted xj?

Prosonic, did you do long travel on both ends for yours? Ome stuff was on backorder for 6-8 weeks, so I rounded up misc parts in stock across the country. Unbeknown to me, the guy at 4wd.com sent me long travels for the front and standards for the rear. After speaking with dirk, it sounds like this will be fine, I'll just get less droop in the rear. Do you have similar calculations for the rear of a 3" lifted xj?

I only have OMEs on the front, because they had the travel numbers I wanted. I decided to go with 9.25" travel bilstien 5125s in the rear, for packaging and travel reasons.
When I ordered mine they where on a backoreder as well.
I'm pretty sure this is going to be the norm for a few years to come. Manufacturers still fear another recession, and don't want to get stuck with a bunch of unsold product.

The short travel OME shock's collapsed length is only .5" longer then a stock shock.
So, if you don't modify your mounts in any way, you could just run upcountry bumpstops that are 4.1" tall (standard bumpstops are 2.9") and be just fine, as far as the shocks are concerned.
With this setup you should have around 4.75-5" of uptravel and 3.75-4" of down travel.

Or, you could raise your shockmounts up ~2" via the GoJeep method: http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoRearShockM.htm and add 2.5" of bumpstop.
This will give you more clearence, more down travel, and really won't limit uptravel all that much, since you should be bump-stopping to keep your leaf springs from going into negative arch anyway.
With this setup you should get around 3.5" uptravel and 5.25" down travel.
This last choice is also the one that Dirk told me he preferred to run on his rig.

Cliffnotes: Switch to these bumpstops in the rear: http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=789 and you'll be set.
-Or-
Raise your shock mounts, and add 2.5" of additional bumpstop, over stock.

Back