• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lee's 4-Wheel Drive in Tucson

xj92

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody on here in Tucson ever dealt with Lee's 4 Wheel Drive (3127 N Stone Av TUCSON, AZ)? They quoted me a price of $200 to setup gears for my front axle. That's the lowest price I've found but I want to make sure it's done right. TIA.

I havent dealt with them, but im looking to get some 4.10s in the D30 in a few weeks. Is it much cheaper to buy the gears and have them installed, or have them provide the gears and do the install?

200$ + what ....200$ for ring and pinion?

let me know what you find out.

sounds like a deal.

First off, they only warranty it if they provide the parts. Here are the #'s for comparison. I'm getting 4.10's too.

IF THEY PROVIDE THE PARTS:
Labor $200
New Spicer R&P Set $225
New Carrier $80
Carrier Bearing $45
Aussie Locker $275
Tax $66
----------------------------------
Total $891

IF I PROVIDE THE PARTS:
Labor $200
New Spicer R&P Set $185
Used Carrier $40
Carrier Bearing $30
Aussie Locker $220
Tax $16
----------------------------------
Total $691

So it is basically $200 difference for the same parts (except a used carrier), and since they're only charging $200 to put them in, I don't see the point of the warranty. I'd feel better about it if somebody here had dealt with them before one way or another though. Tax is less because I'd be getting the R&P, locker, and carrier bearing on the internet and I quoted the shipped prices.

also if you were intrested in not getting it done at a shop I know someone who could probably do it for a hundred instead of 200 of you want to come phoenix

The gear prices I quoted were for a Spicer brand gear set. I'm leery of getting another brand. I still have to find out exactly what the word "set" refers to in the description. I don't know if that's everything you need or what. If I need a rebuild kit, I'll have to add that on, but 4wheelparts.com lists a "ring and pinion set" or "ring and pinion only", I quoted the set price. Tell me more about your friend that does gears. How many has he done, and has he ever done Dana axles or a D30? I love to save money so I may consider it.

I wasn't even aware that Lee's did installs. I've always dealt with Tucson Differential but I've heard that he's become considerably more expensive over the years. Alot of people in our 4wd club use Kiatek (phone #327-7313) and he just did an install on my buddy's TJ. Kiatek specializes in newer jeeps and I've heard nothing but good things about their work. Another shop in town that seems to do good installs is Western Diff but I've heard he's expensive and won't use your parts, only the ones he sells.

OK, called them and found out what Ring and Pinion set refers to for anybody that's interested. It comes with everything except new carrier bearings. So it has shims, pinion bearings, ring, pinion, whatever else is needed in there. New carrier bearings are $18 for the pair, so shipped it comes out to about $205, and that's the same thing as a ring and pinion and master install kit, and that's for Spicer brand.

3.73 and higher is the carrier break, so you should be ok.

After talking to more local people, I've heard nothing but good stuff about Kiatek. I spoke to Mike at Kiatek and he only charges $250 labor. He prefers to use Yukon gears instead of Spicer, says they're a little beefier and a little quieter than the Spicer gears, but that he'll put in whatever I want. Anybody have any experience with Yukon gears? I've heard good stuff about them in the past.

As far as I know, Yukon is just what Randy's Ring and Pinion decides is best for some application and sells under their name. As I've heard, Dana/Spicer tends to be what Yukon reallys is for almost all Dana applications. But you should get someone more knowledgeable (ie the big guys, real memebers and all) to back that up, I just remember reading it recently.

OK, I just called Randy's. You're right, they use 2 different gears for their Yukon brand for the front Dana 30, either OEM Spicer or American Axle out of Chicago. It all depends on who can fill their order when they have one becaause they order a minimum of 500 at a time. He said if you get the American Axle gears (they can tell you if you ask) that they're about 20% stronger and that they're a harder steel.

I had Kiatek do it, and I was very happy with the outcome. I waited for over a month on an Aussie I ordered and finally got tired of it and just bought a Detroit and had him put it all in. Spicer gears and Timken bearings with the Detroit. Quiet and smooth as can be. No whine, etc. Been through Chivo twice and Charouleau once since then and a couple of 3-hour trips without any problems. I had Kiatek get all the parts, and they matched the best prices that I could find on the web. When Mike at Kiatek was putting it all back together, he noticed I had a stripped caliper-bolt hole on one of my knuckles. He took the knuckle off, welded it up, re-drilled and tapped it for me, etc. for no extra charge. From the moment I told him to order the parts, it only took one week to get the parts in and have my Jeep back with everything installed. I only had to leave the Jeep with him for one full day and pick it up the next. Can't say enough good about them. Let me know if you have any questions.

xj92 said:
I had Kiatek do it, and I was very happy with the outcome. I waited for over a month on an Aussie I ordered and finally got tired of it and just bought a Detroit and had him put it all in. Spicer gears and Timken bearings with the Detroit. Quiet and smooth as can be. No whine, etc. Been through Chivo twice and Charouleau once since then and a couple of 3-hour trips without any problems. I had Kiatek get all the parts, and they matched the best prices that I could find on the web. When Mike at Kiatek was putting it all back together, he noticed I had a stripped caliper-bolt hole on one of my knuckles. He took the knuckle off, welded it up, re-drilled and tapped it for me, etc. for no extra charge. From the moment I told him to order the parts, it only took one week to get the parts in and have my Jeep back with everything installed. I only had to leave the Jeep with him for one full day and pick it up the next. Can't say enough good about them.Let me know if you have any questions.
so how much did it end up costing for the front diff? and how much extra for the detroit?

Thanks

$460 parts and labor for the new Spicer gears and Timken bearings (including carrier bearings) installed. $456 extra for the Detroit. Those figures include tax and everything.

Try Willys Works, Inc.
1933 w. Gardner Lane 85705
520-888-5082

Back