NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old November 16th, 2017, 09:50
NAXJA Forum User

Transmission Cooler Line

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
113K miles
I6 4.0 litre
AW4 Automatic Transmission
NP231 Transfer Case

One of my transmission cooler lines is leaking. It's the one that connects to the bottom of the Driver-side of the radiator (There seems to be confusion if it is the inlet or outlet). I'll be replacing the entire line. Should I replace the other cooler line at the same time? Are there any tips I should know that will make the install easier?

I've already been warned about the quick disconnect fitting. I've got the right tools to take care of that. All my searches bring up tranny cooler replacement and radiator replacement. I haven't found a specific cooler line replacement thread. Thanks !
Old November 16th, 2017, 09:55
NAXJA Member

Re: Transmission Cooler Line

I personally wouldn't change a non leaking factory line with a newly made OEM line

They suck -- Doesn't matter if it's original factory equipment or not -- if it's not made 20 years ago it will leak in 6 months -- the new lines are terrible -- doesn't matter who made it

Me, I'd change it to -6an braided hose and never replace it again
Old November 16th, 2017, 10:37
NAXJA Forum User

Do elaborate on the braided hose....links?
Old November 16th, 2017, 10:47
NAXJA Forum User

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=966931
Found this post for the fitting you'd need and then just Google -6AN steel hose lots of places sell them. Not sure if your local parts store has them my Hovis and Advance Auto have some in stock.
Old November 16th, 2017, 12:03
NAXJA Member

The Dorman lines are garbage. The dealer lines were still available as of 6 months ago. I don't know if they are still available. I would get a dealer line or try something different. Consider getting a new quick disconnect for the transmission. Those you can get for about $8 at O'Reilly's, etc. It is typically the line that goes to the radiator that leaks, by the steering box. I don't see any reason to change both.
Old November 16th, 2017, 14:34
NAXJA Forum User

One of the first things I did to my Jeep, bought it kinda running but not driveable, was a radiator and replaced that lower line. Used a Napa one which I am pretty sure is just a rebranded Dorman one. Over 3 years later and it is still OK.
Old November 16th, 2017, 16:39
NAXJA Forum User

The bottom line is the inlet to the cooler, and the top is the outlet. It's arranged that way so you don't trap air in the cooler. Worse case just cut the fitting off and hose clamp some fresh hose onto the leaking section. There's little to no pressure on that line as it runs through the cooler and then dumps into the pan.
Old November 16th, 2017, 16:43
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph77 View Post
One of the first things I did to my Jeep, bought it kinda running but not driveable, was a radiator and replaced that lower line. Used a Napa one which I am pretty sure is just a rebranded Dorman one. Over 3 years later and it is still OK.
Was the replacement as straight forward as it seems?

The PO gave me the replacement line when I bought the Jeep. I've started chasing leaks and am just getting around to replacing it. It's from NAPA. I'm thinking I'll put it in now and research the new fittings and braided hose for whenever it starts leaking again.
Old November 16th, 2017, 16:53
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ_NorCal View Post

The PO gave me the replacement line when I bought the Jeep. I've started chasing leaks and am just getting around to replacing it. It's from NAPA. I'm thinking I'll put it in now and research the new fittings and braided hose for whenever it starts leaking again.
For snaking the lines in and out, it helps tremendously to support the Jeep on the unibody and let the axle droop.
Old November 16th, 2017, 22:21
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Do elaborate on the braided hose....links?

I actually took a ton of pictures when I installed my trans cooler and braided hose -- never uploaded them, but they are on my camera --

I'll get to it over the weekend and post up some of the important ones here -- I'm pretty sure I have all the part numbers included
Old November 16th, 2017, 22:41
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyopp View Post
I actually took a ton of pictures when I installed my trans cooler and braided hose -- never uploaded them, but they are on my camera --

I'll get to it over the weekend and post up some of the important ones here -- I'm pretty sure I have all the part numbers included
Please do, it'd be nice to fix it once and not have to worry about it after that.
Old November 17th, 2017, 02:45
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:

Piece of cake. Make sure you disconnect the battery cause you will be around te starter when running the line. Also I recommend taking the elbow off the radiator and then removing it will the tool. There most likely will be a lot of gunk in there that will have to be cleaned out so that when you do use that tool it will hit the tabs to release. Also just a little Vaseline to not roll the little O Ring when putting the new one on. At the tranny side you will just squeeze the white plastic piece to remove the old line.
Old November 17th, 2017, 03:56
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph77 View Post
Piece of cake. Make sure you disconnect the battery cause you will be around the starter when running the line. Also I recommend taking the elbow off the radiator and then removing it will the tool. There most likely will be a lot of gunk in there that will have to be cleaned out so that when you do use that tool it will hit the tabs to release. Also just a little Vaseline to not roll the little O Ring when putting the new one on. At the tranny side you will just squeeze the white plastic piece to remove the old line.
Sorry tried to edit and messed up.
Old November 19th, 2017, 21:23
NAXJA Member

some pictures of the fittings -- more pictures in my album
http://www.naxja.org/forum/album.php?albumid=631

Old November 20th, 2017, 06:14
NAXJA Member

Heavyopp, what are you using for the adapter at the top radiator port?

I did something similar but just use reinforced oil hose instead of braided line

14mm to AN-6 adapters on the cooler ports, AN-6 to 3/8" barbed fittings for the hoses (90-degree in the rear, 45-degree in the front).

Transmission went into the lower radiator port (already flared so just a hose clamp), then out the top (cut and flared the hard line myself). From there it goes out the air box intake opening and along the crossmember to a B&M 70273 cooler with 1/2" NPT to AN-6 adapters, and more of the 90-degree adapters

I also put a Wix magnetic filter on the return after the cooler