NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old November 9th, 2017, 21:25
NAXJA Forum User

Cutting off welded rock sliders

Hey guys, this might be a dumb question but bear with me. Just bought an MJ and the PO had welded some large diameter tubing onto the frame rails. I'd like to replace it with some real full length rock sliders to protect the whole rockers as well as the front of the bed. What would be the best way to cut the old ones off? The tubes have been welded(poorly) to the frame rails front and rear on each side. Should I cut the tube a half inch from the frame and then grind/hammer the rest off? Or just carefully cut the welds right against the frame?
Old November 10th, 2017, 04:59
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Cutting off welded rock sliders

With the Uni being so thin i would cut close and grind the rest off with a 60 or lower flapper. Hard grinding disks take big bites if you are not careful.
Old November 10th, 2017, 07:18
NAXJA Member 4950

Re: Cutting off welded rock sliders

Sawzall the tubes off flush as possible and break out the angle grinder