NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old November 16th, 2017, 15:47
NAXJA Forum User

Re: XJ tries to change lanes when letting off gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood View Post
Physics. Locked diffs make shit go straight. You naturally add steering to force it around a turn. When you remove the reason you needed more steering, you "change lanes".
I don't think that is the case, it pretty much takes the same amount of steering effort locked or unlocked. I don't know how to explain it, but it kind of veers hard for a second and then goes back to normal. I did drove it on the skid pad at Bondurant and if I let off the gas during a turn it darts and then returns to normal very quickly after.
Old November 18th, 2017, 22:02
NAXJA Member

Mine did some weird stuff when the shackles were bad...locker and no locker both
Old December 2nd, 2017, 15:33
NAXJA Forum User

I replaced the rear shackles today. They raised my rear end about two inches and helped to solve some of the handling issues.

Old December 2nd, 2017, 15:35
NAXJA Forum User

One side came out easy. On the other side the sleeve inside the upper shackle bolt had split and siezed to the bolt. I was able to unthread it from the blind nut and then cut it with a sawzall.
Old December 2nd, 2017, 18:17
NAXJA Member

Man, them things were shot as bad as mine were.....
Old December 3rd, 2017, 16:29
NAXJA Forum User

Mine had the exact same problem. While mine is not cured 100%, my main problem was the mounts at the front of the rear springs. The passenger side mount broke loose the captured nut and over time wore the mount to where the bolt could track about 1/4 inch backward and forward in the mount. I was not able to see that the bolt was moving as most of the travel was where the captured nut broke loose. From the outside all looked good. Put synergy front spring mounts on and it’s all good now. The remainder of my issues is from my cherokee living a pretty hard former life. Incidentally, synergy quit making the mounts but I believe hooligan makes them now.
Old December 4th, 2017, 17:39
NAXJA Forum User

My XJ now handles better, but it is really noisy now. The new bushings really make a lot of noise.

Also, I can't recommend the Rusty's Shackles enough. I do recommend buying some new hardware though before you start the project.

Rusty's XJ Shackles
Old December 4th, 2017, 20:25
NAXJA Member

You didn't need the boomerang shackles, but they do work too.

Noisy ?? I have the Rusty's straight shackles, and once I lubed them up, put the weight on them, then tightened them up, they make ZERO noise at all.

And yes, I got all new hardware from the local bolt store....much easier than fighting the 20+ yr old stuff.

Last edited by TRCM; December 4th, 2017 at 20:28.