• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 4dr linked on 40's

Rob707

NAXJA Forum User
After the progression of my last xj into a buggy, once again like the multi times I've done this, I'm back to building a full body rig again. Picked up a 2wd one owner 99 for $900.00. Every service done on the rig through the dealer it was bought from. Originally the plan was a small stretch front and rear, 3-link front, 4-link rear, Fj80 axles, full frame plating end to end, unflipped 300 on 37's. The small stretch turned into a 112" wb, axles are ruffstuff 9.5 dropout axles, rear is a full floater setup, front has Fj80 knuckles, long fields, studless hubs etc, 40's Tf999 w/full man vb etc... I've been working on it the last year here and there, hoping it will be done other than the inside cage or possibly a hybrid cage in the next few months. Just a pic of what I started with I'll post more pics up shortly.
20150106_195945_zpsoth2x6rq.jpg~original
[/URL][/IMG]

After plating the front rails, new coil buckets etc, it was all cut off to go with coilovers up front.
IMAG0144_zpswcqzwxy1.jpg~original
[/URL][/IMG]
IMAG0357_zpsiwo5k7nb.jpg~original
[/URL][/IMG]
IMAG0342_zps4igo4czf.jpg~original
[/URL][/IMG]

thing looks really good Rob. I love the FJ80 axles and keeping the pass drop dana 300. the work looks really clean too man.

just an FYI - the pics are showing up huge for some reason.

Originally for the rear coils I made pockets in the rear rails to keep the rig low. The tank was going to be raised up and because of the rear stretch would need completely new inner wheelwells. To cut down the time it would take plating the rails and then all the sheet metal work, I decided to cut everything out from behind the rear seats to the hatch opening and built a 2X4 rear frame.
20150317_220830_zpsqhvwwqpb.jpg~original
[/URL][/IMG]
IMAG0205_zpsotfctkig.jpg~original
[/URL][/IMG]
IMAG0208_zps9krejmmh.jpg~original
[/URL][/IMG]
IMAG0215_zpspuvilraz.jpg~original
[/URL][/IMG]

Looks great man. Cant wait to wheel with you

Got a few more things done. Added some tube to tie the front hoops together and moved the upper link to the drivers side so there is more clearance on full bump. I also cut off the tube fenders and 2X6 rockers. New plan is to trim the doors up higher with round tube sliders that are skinned to the rails. Up in the air if the tube fenders will go back on or just skin the qrts with a rub rail under the window and for the front new fenders with a complete header panel just trimmed to clear the tires. Also picked up some of the new ruffstuff stiffeners for the front.
IMAG0380_zpsttbamwrv.jpg~original
[/URL][/IMG]

IMAG0382_zpsknd1hsf9.jpg~original
[/URL][/IMG]

IMAG0385_zpslm0ucqof.jpg~original
[/URL][/IMG]

IMAG0375_zpsxjksvrt5.jpg~original
[/URL][/IMG]

why did you cut off all the tube fenders and what not?

why did you cut off all the tube fenders and what not?

I really didn't like the look of the 2X6 with the tube tied into it. After I get the sliders on it I'll bend up some more tube for the fenders and see if I like it. For the front I just want this rig to have a full front header panel keeping all the factory lights if possible.

Back