• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Product Improvements - SFR Motor Mounts

StinkyFab

NAXJA Forum User
Currently our Motor Mounts are sold in bare steel, like most of our fabricated products. I've got another run of Fire extinguisher mounts going to the plating shop tomorrow and I'm gonna get a quote on what it would cost to do our motor mounts as well. Just curious how interested people would be to have the mounts already plated vs. just painting the bare steel ones. Might be a slight difference in price, but not much.

Basically would you rather save a couple bucks, or get a more finished part? Also, if you like the plating, gold or silver :p

10505466_823177731135624_5909500875385152022_n.jpg

Last edited:
I don't like platings personally. They look horrible and if it I need to grind or weld it makes it harder. The only coating I would prefer would be Nitride Black. Other wise bare is fine with me. Same on the Fire Ex mounts.

Not sure why you would need to weld on your motor mount, but I fully understand that issue, which is why the weld on portion of our fire extinguisher mounts are not plated. For that product paint doesn't hold up on the sliding portions and people wanted something that didn't rust so they got plated. I suppose if you don't like shiny metal you can still paint them though.

For the motor mounts it doesn't make much difference to me. They function the same either way, but I get enough questions about paint/powder coat/etc. that I thought I'd see if it was worth pursuing a more finished end product.

That's true on the motor mounts. I didn't realize that on the Fire Ext mounts, which is why I got them plain. Whoops.

We've welded in the mounts on racers, extra security if a bolt comes loose.

Dont care much. If it was $2 differance, sure plate em. if its $12.... meh, ill rattle can them. Anything but yellow with a flag on it.

Still need to pickup some trans mounts from you, one of these days.
Thanks for asking.

My vote would be bare.

It doesn't take much to hit something that like with a rattle can, and that way I can pick the color myself. The yellow that is on my Brown Dogs is certainly not a color I would have chosen.

OTOH, there is no doubt as to the manufacturer of my mounts. Open the hood and the product is quickly recognized. That is something to consider for the sake of establishing a brand.

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it.

I talked to the plater today. The price difference will be less than the cost of a can of spray paint. He also mentioned that zinc plating is an excellent substrate that paint sticks to very well, which I did not know. Something for you guys that like to pick your colors :)

I did like the fact that I could paint your mounts Orange for my MJ, vs the Yellow that the Brown Dog's in my XJ are. I think the Zinc plating would work well, as it could be bolted in as is and not have to be prepped.
Either way, I would buy another set of your mounts.

looks good.

Back