• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Junkyard SYE

So im putting together a boneyard lift which came about after i found some brand new leafs at the dump that gave me about 6.5 inches in the rear. Now i find myself in need of an SYE with a budget of about $100 bucks...

Over the last few weeks I have been doing thourough research and scavenging picknpull and here is my results and plan so far...

Parts:
DC joint accepting 1310 ujoint (1993 Explorer 4x4)
Front Drive Shaft from explorer
rear yoke from xj with same spline count
New u joints - 3
centering pin rebuild kit?

So the plan is to thin out a portion of the output shaft and thread it to accept the bolt from the rear yoke, then place the pinion yoke on the output shaft followed by the dc joint and driveshaft.

is there any glarring issues to my design? thanks for the input in advance.

the work I don't mind, I'm strictly asking if it will work, as the issue is not with saving its with allocation due to a new baby ��

on a side note I would love to know the full sye you've seen for 150 as the final plan is of course to split the case and install a true kit with custom dc so replacing the output shaft at that point would be no worries, the cheapest i have seen is about 300 - though I'm an awful online shopper

--back on subject is there anybody who can point out an obvious flaw? If not I will be going after this next week or so and will do my best to put together a write up...

Last edited:
on a side note I would love to know the full sye you've seen for 150 as the final plan is of course to split the case and install a true kit with custom dc so replacing the output shaft at that point would be no worries, the cheapest i have seen is about 300 - though I'm an awful online shopper

I got mine for well under $150. It helped I worked in an off road shop but you can find them.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rgg-1867660/overview/

some vendors on here have em as low as like 159$ from time to time. Thats cheaper than my old hack N tap. Sometimes by trying too hard to save money you spend more money, and on crappier parts.

If no one is answering to confirm or debunk your plan, it's probably because no one has any formal knowlege about what you're trying to do because no one does it that way.

I think what you're hearing is that you're making a LOT of work for yourself on an untried, untested, and uncertain configuration that will probably provide more problems than it's worth, with no one to ask about how to rectify those problems, because, again, no one does it that way.

As an aside, you have a baby on the way, and you're worried about allocation of funds, but NOT allocation of time . . .? I may have some bad news for you there, bud.

Bottom line: http://ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant...e=IROR&Product_Code=IR-XHNT&Category_Code=XDT

If there were a cheaper alternative to be found by scrounging the 'yards for mating parts that could add up to a cheap SYE, believe me someone here would've already found it. I was once just like you in thinking that I could mix and match parts to make it work, but all I did was waste a bunch of time and money, then I sucked it up and bought the kit but I did use the tried and true front XJ driveshaft with it to save some coin.

Being a pioneer can have its rewards, but it can also be very costly with no fruits for your labor. In this instance there's absolutely nothing wrong with following the crowd (and their advice). If you decide to soldier on, I wish you luck and honestly hope you find what you're looking for so that those that follow can benefit from your hard work.

Back