NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old March 24th, 2013, 01:01
NAXJA Member

early model doors on a late model?

been wanting to tinker and make a pair of half doors with soft tops for my 97' for year round use but all around my area has the early model doors and no late models. ive seen threads about putting late model doors on early jeeps but never the other way around. is it fairly easy? i know the hinges are different. if its more work than necessary, ill just hold out till i find some late model ones
Old March 24th, 2013, 01:08
NAXJA Forum User

Re: early model doors on a late model?

Late model doors have been put on early models - the striker needs to be changed, which usually requires welding a plate over the original hole to fasten the new striker (or some creativity in adaptation.)

I would imagine that the reverse is also possible.

1984-1996 should have the "pin" striker, 1997-2001 should have the "arch" striker.
Old March 24th, 2013, 09:27
NAXJA Member

You can do it but once you swap strikers your current doors wont work anymore.
Old March 24th, 2013, 10:46
NAXJA Member

early model doors on a late model?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnkyboy View Post
You can do it but once you swap strikers your current doors wont work anymore.
That's what I was thinking :/ guess ill just hold out till I find some late model doors, thanks guys
Old March 24th, 2013, 11:07
NAXJA Forum User

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

Hinges are also different. You'll need to pick up a second set of late model hinges to make things work unless you want to undo bolts every time to swap doors.

Also, make sure you get doors off a 97.5 or later, early 97s got the same heavy plate hinges that 96 and earlier got.
Old March 24th, 2013, 17:41
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastein View Post
Hinges are also different. You'll need to pick up a second set of late model hinges to make things work unless you want to undo bolts every time to swap doors.

Also, make sure you get doors off a 97.5 or later, early 97s got the same heavy plate hinges that 96 and earlier got.
If the early 97s got the same heavy hinges, would that not make the swap easier?
Old March 25th, 2013, 12:17
NAXJA Member

Can you not swap the latch from inside the doors so that the striker does not need to be modified?
Old March 25th, 2013, 18:53
NAXJA Member

You'd have to relocate the latch as well. It sits lower on the newer doors. This pic is from when we swapped my doors for JP.

Old March 25th, 2013, 18:55
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990JEEPXJ View Post
Can you not swap the latch from inside the doors so that the striker does not need to be modified?
I do not believe so. I haven't had them side-by-side, but I seem to want to think they mount differently, and you'd probably still have to modify the door shell to clear the striker.
Old March 25th, 2013, 19:29
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc View Post
You'd have to relocate the latch as well. It sits lower on the newer doors. This pic is from when we swapped my doors for JP.

Well that answers that. I'm curious about how well the glass itself swaps from door to door if possible.
Old March 25th, 2013, 22:43
NAXJA Forum User

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

AFAIK it doesn't. The window tracks are very different since the whole window goes up and down on late models while only the rectangular part goes up and down on early models.
Old March 26th, 2013, 00:28
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Well that answers that. I'm curious about how well the glass itself swaps from door to door if possible.
Putting newer glass into old doors is possible but takes fabrication/welding skills and a donor door. Basically you cut out the front track from the newer door and also replace sections of the inner door structure and swap that in as the regulator mounts differently. I did this because I really don't like vent windows.

Now going the other way, older windows in newer doors might be easier since the front window track is a part of the vent window frame. I'm not sure how the regulator swap would work or if the newer regulator would mount to the old window, but i'm sure it can be done with some work.

In the end, probably not worth it either way unless you're anal like me..
Old March 27th, 2013, 22:12
NAXJA Member

well looking through many doorless mods, from early to the 97+ i do believe i have the early style hinges....... yay me! lol i got the cream of the crop with the wiring department and doors now lol. so the question now is this: if i do have the earlier beefier hinges like the 96- but have the door style/stricker/etc.. of a 97+ what do i do to allow other doors to be used? lol
Old March 28th, 2013, 01:53
NAXJA Member

The hinges can be transferred from one door to another. The bolt pattern should be the same.
Old March 28th, 2013, 08:19
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
The hinges can be transferred from one door to another. The bolt pattern should be the same.
I'm confused. johnnyc posted evidence that this is false in this thread, and you quoted it like 4 posts up. Why are you saying it'll work now?